New trike taking shape

Recumbents and all feet forward machines

New trike taking shape

Postby John Lewis » Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:52 pm

Here are some shots of the latest project. A trike for a friend.

I used the chainstay pattern from Bentech, The general layout from Tim Smith's site and the seat pattern from my logo.
I Intend to use 48 spoke BMX wheels to get the 14mm axle.

Now need to get the running gear and finish it up. More soon.

John Lewis
John Lewis

by BNA » Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:19 pm

BNA

Postby DaveW » Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:19 pm

Nice looking work!

Should be nice when it's all done.

Make sure we get some pics here though. :wink:
DaveW

Nice Trike !!!

Postby Recycler » Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:28 am

Howdy John, Your trike looks nice. Good work, keep the snaps coming.
Recycler

Postby Uba Tracker » Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:54 am

V-e-r-y tidy work John. Did you do the bends yourself?

cheers

Harry
A bad day's riding beats a good day's work everytime
Uba Tracker

Postby John Lewis » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:45 am

Uba Tracker wrote:V-e-r-y tidy work John. Did you do the bends yourself?

cheers

Harry

G'day Harry,

Yes I did the bends. I have a cheap bender that does up to 19mm ok. It is imperial though and causes some problemss if not careful with metric sizes. I pack the tubes with sand for the bigger Diameters. For anything above 19mm eg. the chainstays I use the bender at a friend's factory.

I was given an ancient pipe bender the other day. Consists of two small wheels and a semicircular piece that is forced into the tube with a big screw. Perhaps it will bend muffler tube. I'll try when I get it cleaned up.

Yhanks to all for the comments. Looks ok in the pics but I can still improve the results.

John Lewis
John Lewis

Almost done

Postby John Lewis » Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:37 pm

Well progress has been slower than I'd like but here's where we're at.

The trike taking shape in the background is a DeltaWolf from Atomic Zombie site.

Waiting on the chap I'm building it for to come good with the ready for the needed running gear. The rear wheel is from my LoGo. I'll be spoking this ones wheel when the spokes arrive.

John Lewis
John Lewis

Beautiful tike

Postby Storm » Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:12 pm

Hi John,

Fantastic looking trike, I'm loving the colour you did, did you do much cleanup with the braizing? they look quite neat...well done.
~~~~ ~ @_,~,- -_-’o,~~~ ~ @_,~,- -_-’o,
~~~ ~ (*)\____/(*)~~~ ~ (*)\____/(*)
Storm

Re: Beautiful tike

Postby John Lewis » Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:00 pm

Storm wrote:Hi John,

Fantastic looking trike, I'm loving the colour you did, did you do much cleanup with the braizing? they look quite neat...well done.

Hi Storm,

Photo doesn't show the colours to advantage. It's a nice sparkling metalic blue Rattle can paint job, Anchor brand acrylic and clear acrylic automotive topcoat.

Look at earlier pics for brazing as you can see it only needs flux cleaning off. I used to have a lot of cleanup filing and grinding. These days I can do a nice fillet joint and hardly have to touch it.

My efforts with arc welding are still dreadful. I'm using arc on the new delta. Keep wishing I'd brazed. Still if I don't try I'll never learn.

John Lewis
John Lewis

Re: Beautiful tike

Postby Uba Tracker » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:08 pm

John Lewis wrote:My efforts with arc welding are still dreadful. I'm using arc on the new delta. Keep wishing I'd brazed. Still if I don't try I'll never learn.

John Lewis

That's the spirit John, keep getting back on that horse. I apologise for hijacking your thread but since we're speaking of the black art known as arc welding I recently finished off manufacturing the rear seat strut for my Lynxx. I used, of all things, light guage galvanised tubing about 16mm in dia with a 1mm wall. I don't know what I was thinking, thin wall is challenging enough without adding galvanising. Sheer determination was probably the only thing preventing me from putting the seat strut (and the welder) into a low orbit. The whole experience reinforced my earlier view point that arc welding can and will test your resolve regardless off experience. Here's a pic of the finished strut (still in earth's atmosphere)

regards

Harry
Uba Tracker

Postby John Lewis » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:03 pm

Looks like it ended up Ok Harry. Thats a neat seat strut.

Is that a bacchetta seat? or maybe a Rans?

All this welding I'm doing is on 1.5mm mostly square tube at the moment.

I use a flap disk lightly to get rid of the galv. Sometimes I stick the end of the tube in spirits of salts for a while. Need to wash it well after though. Brazing doesn't like galv at all. At least with arc you can crank up the current a bit. Pity that doesn't work on thin wall tube.

John L
John Lewis

Postby Uba Tracker » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:52 pm

Thanks John, yeah all said and done it'll do the job. The seat is a Bacchetta Recurve, by all accounts it is very similar to it's Rans counterpart and waaaaaay more comfortable than the original unit........IMHO.

cheers

H
Uba Tracker

Postby John Lewis » Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:44 pm

Well at last I managed to find the time to finish this trike.

Came in at just on 20kg so I was pretty pleased. It rides really well and has a good turn of speed.

Shimano mid range components, Maxxis hookworm tyres. I kept the gearing deliberately low as it will be used for touring. 48, 38, 28 mtb rings to an 11, 32 cluster.

John Lewis

John Lewis

Postby Kalgrm » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:24 pm

Well that's turned out beautifully John. Congratulations. So compact and clean.

My only question is: "How well do those brakes work?" That looks to be the weak point, especially if you're going to tour on it.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------------------------
My web site: www.scenebyhird.com
---------------------------------------
The Bicycle Transportation Alliance
Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:58 pm

John Lewis do you have a ruff estimate to the cost of this build on the completed project? I'm interested to see if the savings made warrants a look in for me too start a similar project or just buy one. Nice work BTW...
}SkOrPn--7

Postby John Lewis » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:58 pm

Kalgrm wrote:Well that's turned out beautifully John. Congratulations. So compact and clean.

My only question is: "How well do those brakes work?" That looks to be the weak point, especially if you're going to tour on it.

Cheers,
Graeme

Thanks Graeme.

Yes, I'd have preferred disk brakes but was trying to keep the cost down.

The brakes seem surprisingly effective however and as long as they are kept adjusted and the pads in good condition there shouldn't be a problem.

Care is going to be needed on long descents though to avoid overheating the rims.

John Lewis
John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:03 pm

}SkOrPn--7 wrote:John Lewis do you have a ruff estimate to the cost of this build on the completed project? I'm interested to see if the savings made warrants a look in for me too start a similar project or just buy one. Nice work BTW...

All the bike parts were bought over the counter at LBS and from Moruya Cycles and Greenspeed. With careful shopping and scrounging you could get the price down.

All new parts were used with the exception of the brake callipers that I had. I spoked the rear wheel myself. The fronts are BMX 48 spoke. The rear is 36 spoke double wall rim.

The all up cost was close to $700. I think I could do one with scrounged and recycled bits for half that or better.

John Lewis
John Lewis

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:23 pm

Thanks John I might give ebay a shot as well to see how prices fair to build up the goods.
}SkOrPn--7

Postby JulianEdgar » Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:49 am

Looks great! How do you find the direct steering? Did you try different length steering arms to alter the ratio?
JulianEdgar

Postby John Lewis » Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:57 pm

JulianEdgar wrote:Looks great! How do you find the direct steering? Did you try different length steering arms to alter the ratio?

Hello Julian,

Good to see you turn up over here. Welcome to the forum. I've been following your builds on the trikes list.

To your question. The direct steering works fine and feels little different from the steering on my Logo trike.

I didn't try different ratios. It was just eyeballed to what looked about right. The bars would have been better longer but I had to fit them in the available space and still provide a bit of comfort.

John Lewis
John Lewis

Return to Recumbents