Mounting a Busch & Muller Light on a SWB - Options?

Recumbents and all feet forward machines

Mounting a Busch & Muller Light on a SWB - Options?

Postby Aushiker » Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:09 pm

I am planning to setup a Bacchetta Giro 20 with a dynamo and will fit my Busch & Mueller Lumotec IQ Cyo Senso Plus or purchase a new Luxos U.

Anyway I am aware of the foot flash problem and that Bacchetta do sell the One Arm Bandit mount to address this issue. My issue is mounting a Busch & Mueller light on the OAB or is there other options?

Hence this post seeking feedback on what others have done.

I am also aware of the Evo D Handlebar light mount and the Schmidt Handlebar Fitting Dynamo Headlamp Bracket which I am guessing could be used with the OAB. Anyone have experience of this approach?

Thanks
Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Aushiker

by BNA » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:45 pm

BNA

Re: Mounting a Busch & Muller Light on a SWB - Options?

Postby Baalzamon » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:45 pm

My advice is to wait until you KNOW you are recumbent happy. You now have a bike so it's a matter of time finding out. I would save your $$$ and do some test rides and get all the rust problems on the current bike solved. Once your happy with it then buy the lights, kickstand etc.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810
Baalzamon

Postby Aushiker » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:52 pm

Baalzamon wrote:My advice is to wait until you KNOW you are recumbent happy. You now have a bike so it's a matter of time finding out. I would save your $$$ and do some test rides and get all the rust problems on the current bike solved. Once your happy with it then buy the lights, kickstand etc.

Thanks but I think I know what I am doing and hence interested in other users experiences with mounting lights.

That said you have me curious now but when you refer to "rust problems." You clearly know something I don't. Care to share?

Andrew
Aushiker

Postby Baalzamon » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:42 pm

you will need to spray WD40 on rusted screws. I picked up a bike from work for $60 and all the screwed where rusted. Before I got it. I sprayed WD40 on it over 2 days. 3rd day I finally managed to get the screws moving. Then I paid for the bike.
Baalzamon

Postby Aushiker » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:57 pm

Baalzamon wrote:you will need to spray WD40 on rusted screws. I picked up a bike from work for $60 and all the screwed where rusted. Before I got it. I sprayed WD40 on it over 2 days. 3rd day I finally managed to get the screws moving. Then I paid for the bike.

I have actually got the bike and been over it ... other than surface rust on some screws and the chain there is no issues that I am aware of so far. I have had no issues removing/re-tightening any screws so far. In fact as I posted elsewhere I suspect going by the rear cassette/tyres/chaining this bike has actually done little kilometres. I think the suggested 1,000 kilometres is over optimistic.

Getting back on topic ... any mount suggestions?

Andrew
Aushiker

Postby Baalzamon » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:01 pm

Might need Dave to make a custom mount for it :)
Baalzamon

Postby Hotdog » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:42 am

I have experimented with fork mounting lights on my Giro 700 with some success, might not work so well with the shorter fork of the Giro 20 though. Lightweight lights (e.g. dynamo or external battery pack powered) can be mounted simply and cheaply using a Chronometro Nob or Nob XL. For a more sturdy fork mount then the Terracycle accessory mounts are the way to go. Fork mounting the light avoids the foot flash issue and also gets the lights well below your line of sight, which increases 'relief contrast' making pot holes and bumps more visible. One disadvantage I found with fork mounting was that I would tend to bump my lights when dropping a leg or manoeuvring the bike when off it, requiring me to frequently re-adjust the aiming of my lights. Less clumsy people would not have this problem though... :roll:

Having said all that the Bacchetta One Arm Bandit does work well. The light position is well forward and low so that while some light is still likely to spill onto your feet it won't be enough to cause distracting foot flash. It's probably also the neatest and tidiest light mounting solution and generally less fiddly than fork mounting. Having the light positioned closer to your line of sight does reduce relief contrast a bit but with a bright enough light it's not necessarily a show stopper. While the One Arm Bandit is good I would not recommend mounting lights to the derailleur post using general purpose accessory mounts. When I first got my Giro I used a Minoura accessory mount but the light position was too far back resulting in serious foot flash. I've also used a TerraCycle accessory mount on the derailleur post and while it was a significant improvement over the Minoura (provided you choose the right arm lengths) it still would not reach far enough forward to eliminate foot flash.

After those two experiments with derailleur post mounting I switched to fork mounting and found that worked far better with my Busch & Mueller Ixon Speed and Speed IQ lights, especially as it enabled me to use two light heads (one on each fork blade) when there wouldn't have been enough room for that with derailleur post mounting. When I got my CA 2.0 I decided to try the One Arm Bandit because the stock fork has deep and narrow aero blades that you can't really clamp anything to. I found it worked OK but I could only mount a single light head so stuck with fork mounting on the Giro. Later I switched from the B & M's to a Phillips Saferide 80 (a fantastic light, the best self contained headlight in my opinion) which is a bit too bulky for fork mounting and since then have used One Arm Bandits on both bikes.
2010 Bacchetta Carbon Aero 2.0 (700c) custom
2006 Bacchetta Giro 26 (700c) customised
Strava profile
Hotdog

Postby Aushiker » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:01 am

Thanks Hotdog ... One poster at BROL raised an interesting point suggesting that the European lights need to be higher due to their design. Thoughts?

I am pretty clumsy so may have the same problems as you did with a fork mount but will investigate further now you have made the suggestion. I am thinking that the OAB with say one of these

or this

or a Terracycle (not getting as much votes from what I have found around the place but)

is the way to go if not the fork mount option you suggest.

Regards
Andrew
Aushiker

Postby rdp_au » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:13 am

Congratulations on the purchase!

On my Bentech, which had a similar 20/26 setup, I mounted my AYUP lights on the derailleur post using the AYUP Gecko mount. I found they were just high enough so that foot flash wasn't too much of a problem . When I upgraded to a Corsa, I also upgraded the light mount to a Minoura Space Grip. It's solid and rigid, but quite heavy. Worked well, though, and was high enough and it happened that the light was effectively shielded by the handlebar, so foot flash wasn't an issue at all. Recently, I too have switched over to a Philips Safe Ride light, which didn't fit as neatly on the Space Bar bracket, so I am using a Terracycle accessory mount. I'm using 100 x 75 mm arms, which position the light high and well forward which minimizes foot flash. The mount is well made and lightweight, but it does vibrate quite a bit as the Philips light is quite heavy. May not be a problem with a dynamo light unit.
rdp_au

Postby Poiter » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:50 am

On my VK2 I have an aloominum 6mm rod made out of a busted rack to mount my lights.
Bash the end flat and drill a hole to suit.
You can see it bolts to the existing front derailleur mount.
No vibration and far enuff forward to eliminate foot flash.
Lights are Pete Built Cree XML's. Top one from 3 x C cells. Lower two from SON Dyno via a simple rectifier bridge. Get a little bit of flicker at walking pace and then full on. Never had an issue of over volting them.
Pete
Poiter

Postby Poiter » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:59 am

Oh, Over seat bars as well?
On my little Orange commuter I have a single CREE on the handlebars near the centre.
I made a fish mouthed light housing so it just zip ties to the bars which then become a dirty great heat sink.
The optics are narrow so there isn't a lot of foot flash and it chucks the light down the path/road where skippy or a Ninja might be lurking.
You also get some "around the corner" in turns unlike a boom mounted light.
Poiter

Postby Aushiker » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:50 pm

rdp_au wrote: I'm using 100 x 75 mm arms, which position the light high and well forward which minimizes foot flash. The mount is well made and lightweight, but it does vibrate quite a bit as the Philips light is quite heavy. May not be a problem with a dynamo light unit.

Thanks. I just need to re-learn how to ride now :)

I must admit I do like the tidyness of the Terracycle mount and having the sizing information is useful.

Andrew
Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:51 pm

Poiter wrote:Lights are Pete Built Cree XML's. Top one from 3 x C cells. Lower two from SON Dyno via a simple rectifier bridge. Get a little bit of flicker at walking pace and then full on. Never had an issue of over volting them.

That is some mean lighting you have ... love it :)

Andrew
Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:00 pm

Poiter wrote:Oh, Over seat bars as well?

Yes. I will try my DiNottee 400 L there in the short term. Will be interesting to see how they work out.

Andrew
Aushiker

Postby Hotdog » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:02 pm

Aushiker wrote:Thanks Hotdog ... One poster at BROL raised an interesting point suggesting that the European lights need to be higher due to their design. Thoughts?

It's not nearly as big an issue as it gets made out to be. The shaped beam headlights that they're referring to when they say 'European lights' are indeed designed with a particular height above the road in mind and using the lights at that height will result in the most even illumination of the road surface within the beam footprint (which is what the beam shaping is all about) but even if you use them at half the design height (roughly what you'd get if fork mounting) the illumination will still be far more uniform than you get with the unshaped torch-like beams that come out of the simple reflectors used in most American lights. When mounted low the effect is that the apparent brightness of the road is slightly higher close to the bike and slightly lower far ahead than it otherwise would be, but in my experience the effect is not significant enough to be a problem and is in any case compensated for by the increase in relief contrast due to the greater offset of the lights from your line of sight.

I am pretty clumsy so may have the same problems as you did with a fork mount but will investigate further now you have made the suggestion. I am thinking that the OAB with say one of these

or this

or a Terracycle (not getting as much votes from what I have found around the place but)

For derailleur post mounting on a Bacchetta I'd say go with the OAB over the TerraCycle mount, the light position is better and the OAB is easier to mount. The OAB puts the light low and well forward, just above BB height and almost as far forward as your feet at full extension, much like Pete's very nice looking set up. Not only does this avoid foot flash it also hides the light behind the derailleur post and BB so that it doesn't add any obstructions to your view. The TerraCycle mount will not reach very far forward so in order to avoid foot flash you have to go high instead, which puts the light right in your eye line. Both work OK but I prefer the former.

I think an OAB with a handlebar to dynamo light mounting adaptor like the ones you linked to would work very well, if it were me that is probably what I would do. Just be a bit careful with width, with derailleur post mounting you are constrained by the cranks passing on either side. The single light adaptor would be fine but that double light one might be pushing it.

Regarding handlebar mounting, give it a go but it may or not work on your bike. There's no way it would work on my Giro 700 or CA 2.0 as any handle bar light pointed below the horizon would be shining on my feet, but with the lower bottom bracket of the Giro 20/26 you might just be able to squeeze a narrow beam onto the road without too much foot flash.
2010 Bacchetta Carbon Aero 2.0 (700c) custom
2006 Bacchetta Giro 26 (700c) customised
Strava profile
Hotdog

Postby skyblot » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:10 pm

This probably doesn't really help, but I mounted my Ayups using the standard handle bar mount but strapped to the bottom bracket. Works just like it was designed for the spot.
I don't notice any real foot flash, whereas when I had a light on the top of the derailleur post it was quite bad.

Oh, and congrats on the bike...
skyblot

Postby Aushiker » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:44 pm

Hotdog wrote:I think an OAB with a handlebar to dynamo light mounting adaptor like the ones you linked to would work very well, if it were me that is probably what I would do. Just be a bit careful with width, with derailleur post mounting you are constrained by the cranks passing on either side. The single light adaptor would be fine but that double light one might be pushing it.

I did think of the space issue so went back to SJS Cycles for more ideas. I found one of these which looks like a neater more compact mount. Just need to find out it a Busch & Mueller will mount to it.

Andrew
Aushiker

Return to Recumbents