Mudguards for a Bacchetta Giro 26/20

Recumbents and all feet forward machines

Mudguards for a Bacchetta Giro 26/20

Postby Aushiker » Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:46 pm

Hopefully my last post on setting up this bike :) Any suggestions/experiences with particular brands or models of fenders for the Bacchetta Giro 26/20? I am suspecting that the Bacchetta mudguards maybe the only choice but you never know :)

Image

Thanks
Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Image
User avatar
Aushiker
 
Posts: 20273
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:55 pm
Location: Fremantle, WA

by BNA » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:12 am

BNA
 

Re: Mudguards for a Bacchetta Giro 26/20

Postby Hotdog » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:12 am

Because it's a 20/26 I think the Bacchetta mudguards are indeed your only full mudguard option. That's OK though, they're perfectly decent mudguards.

For occasional use SKS Raceblade clip on mudguards work pretty well on most Bacchettas, the fit and coverage isn't quite as good as the Bacchetta mudguards but they're still effective. You'd only be able to use the rear one, but that is the most important mudguard on a Bacchetta. The wide main frame tube does a fairly good job of blocking the spray from the front wheel apart from when you're turning tightly but spray from the rear wheel tends to get flung straight through the standard Euromesh seat, it can be a fairly unpleasant sensation.
2010 Bacchetta Carbon Aero 2.0 (700c) custom
2006 Bacchetta Giro 26 (700c) customised
Strava profile
User avatar
Hotdog
 
Posts: 928
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:00 am
Location: North Strathfield, Sydney

Re: Mudguards for a Bacchetta Giro 26/20

Postby Aushiker » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:54 am

Hotdog wrote:Because it's a 20/26 I think the Bacchetta mudguards are indeed your only full mudguard option. That's OK though, they're perfectly decent mudguards.


I have seen mixed views on their guards elsewhere but I am guessing they are designed to mount on a recumbent where as others assume a brake bridge mounting point. Do I have that right? I have seen some support for Plant Bike mudguards which I guess might be an alternative.

Apparently Hostel Shoppe sell individual mudguards, but hate to think what the postage will be.

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Image
User avatar
Aushiker
 
Posts: 20273
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:55 pm
Location: Fremantle, WA

Re: Mudguards for a Bacchetta Giro 26/20

Postby rdp_au » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:22 am

For my Corsa, I fabricated a simple bracket to fit between the seat stays, attached with a couple of 'P' clips, which takes the place of the brake bridge. Adds virtually no weight and opens up options for fitting mudguards. I'm using Crud Road racers. On my bentech I used a strip of mylar cable tied to the bottom of the Topeak rack. Worked well, light, and cheap..
User avatar
rdp_au
 
Posts: 510
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:45 pm
Location: Hornsby, Sydney, NSW

Re: Mudguards for a Bacchetta Giro 26/20

Postby Aushiker » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:47 pm

rdp_au wrote:For my Corsa, I fabricated a simple bracket to fit between the seat stays, attached with a couple of 'P' clips, which takes the place of the brake bridge. Adds virtually no weight and opens up options for fitting mudguards. I'm using Crud Road racers. On my bentech I used a strip of mylar cable tied to the bottom of the Topeak rack. Worked well, light, and cheap..


Fabricate and Andrew just don't go together :)

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Image
User avatar
Aushiker
 
Posts: 20273
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:55 pm
Location: Fremantle, WA

Re: Mudguards for a Bacchetta Giro 26/20

Postby Baalzamon » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:01 pm

Aushiker wrote:
rdp_au wrote:For my Corsa, I fabricated a simple bracket to fit between the seat stays, attached with a couple of 'P' clips, which takes the place of the brake bridge. Adds virtually no weight and opens up options for fitting mudguards. I'm using Crud Road racers. On my bentech I used a strip of mylar cable tied to the bottom of the Topeak rack. Worked well, light, and cheap..


Fabricate and Andrew just don't go together :)

Andrew


Fabricate and pm just4thehellaboutit works
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810
Image
Baalzamon
 
Posts: 4642
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:23 pm
Location: Yangebup

Re: Mudguards for a Bacchetta Giro 26/20

Postby jaffaman » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:36 pm

That photo looks exactly like the planet bicycle mudguards I bought for my 26" RANS Crank Forward. I didn't end up using them because I had disks, and they required a about 1 inch tube to extend the dropout mounting hole away from the bike on the disk side so the steel roads wouldn't foul the disk and I thought it was too ugly. As I recall your Giro also has disks - you may want to consider how it will look/fit. That said, they are highly adjustable, and I put them on my daughters Townie 26" with 2.0 tyres no problem (v-brakes) - the mounts slide up and down the steel rods to enable you to position them pretty much anywhere you want and fine tune the fit to the tyre and ensure they are on the centre line.
jaffaman
 
Posts: 180
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:30 pm


Return to Recumbents

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit