Hang on a sec, aint these things supposed to be fast?

Recumbents and all feet forward machines

Hang on a sec, aint these things supposed to be fast?

Postby Cyclaholic » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:55 pm

So there I was spinning along at what I thought might be an altogether not too shabby speed when this old fat guy in trakkie dacks and ugg boots on an equally old looking knobby tyre'd full suspension mountain bike pulls up beside be pedalling no-handed (disclosure: I don't have a computer on the 'bent yet) .

He casually lights up a winnie red (I Showtime you not!) as we have a little chat about the you-beaut sooper dooper ultra fast 'bent I'm on. He asks about the bike, I'm happy to answer as best I can, we chat about the weather and commuting in general... Then we part company as he ever so casually pedals away from me. :oops:

.....you think I might still have some room for improvement on these week-old 'bent legs? :lol:
Cyclaholic

by BNA » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:05 pm

BNA

Postby RideLikeTheWind » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:05 pm

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha... That was so well written.

I dont know much about 'bent's, and am thinking of building one (as I have some time later this year to do so), but I have to say I have always been faster on my roadie. There is a guy that lives near me I always outrun on my drop bar roadie when i see him.

Joe
RideLikeTheWind

Re: Hang on a sec, aint these things supposed to be fast?

Postby Matt_Matt » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:07 pm

Cyclaholic wrote:So there I was spinning along at what I thought might be an altogether not too shabby speed when this old fat guy in trakkie dacks and ugg boots on an equally old looking knobby tyre'd full suspension mountain bike pulls up beside be pedalling no-handed (disclosure: I don't have a computer on the 'bent yet) .

He casually lights up a winnie red (I Showtime you not!) as we have a little chat about the you-beaut sooper dooper ultra fast 'bent I'm on. He asks about the bike, I'm happy to answer as best I can, we chat about the weather and commuting in general... Then we part company as he ever so casually pedals away from me. :oops:

.....you think I might still have some room for improvement on these week-old 'bent legs? :lol:

Were you going uphill at the time :wink:
Matt_Matt

Postby Low Racer » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:31 pm

Hi,
Not all bents are built for speed. In the bents world, the low and high racers are those that frequently used for racing. With a well tuned engine on a low racer, a roadie wouldn't have a chance catching you on the open road. This is not intended to be insulting to anyone.

Cyclaholic, 3 weeks is still early on bent. A couple of months more your engine would improve and you would notice that you are able to sustain better at higher cruising speed. Get a bike computer to keep track how you are doing.

Regards

Chong[/img]
Low Racer

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:25 pm

It's all about the nut behind the handlebars.

Bents have the advantage over conventional bikes in that there is less drag on the body, hence better aerodynamics.

Conventional bikes have the advantage over Bents in climbing and sprinting, as with bents you only have the seated option, where with the conventional you can get out of the seat and throw some extra power thru the pedals.

Overall the bent will be quicker than the conventional.

Hypothetically if your legs produce 300watts and someone elses produce 400watts then the bike isn't going to make up for a 100watt difference.
A helmet saved my life
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Leigh_caines » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:02 pm

<Cyclaholic, 3 weeks is still early on bent. A couple of months more your engine would improve and you would notice that you are able to sustain better at higher cruising speed.>

Well I can't agree...
I know I'm only an old fart but riding 20 to 50ks a day for a year got me "recumbent legs".... I'm not sure anyone's going to get them in 2 months...
but then maybe your young and already fit :)
Leigh_caines

Postby Low Racer » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:49 pm

Hi Leigh,
When I first ridden my trike back in March, I felt the strained on the bent muscles. The trike is great for training those muscles, esp when you are towing two kids with trailer. Built up your muscles real quick. When I jumped on my bike now, I can see the reward of trike training gave me.

Regards

Chong
Low Racer

Return to Recumbents