After a lifetime of sedentary laziness and poor habits this close to fifty year old has decided to finally get moving via a touring adventure on a recumbent trike. With some back issues ( forty degree scoliosis and occasional discomfort through spinal stenosis) this form of cycling would appear to be the best way in which to lessen the difficulty I might experience on an upright.
I'm not that bright and never had anything much to do with bikes so I've begun to wade through information to try and make some informed decisions about what to buy and how best set myself up for a longish Australian tour.
I'll have a total budget of $5000 for trike and equipment needed for a tour, so I'm guessing about $3000 will be spent on the trike itself which makes a Greenspeed Magnum something close to what I might need or can afford.
Some questions if anybody has the time.
- Is there a particular trike that is generally understood to be the "go to" trike for touring at around $3000?
- Are trikes more susceptible to certain failures or mechanical issues?
- Dogs. Trikes aren't the ideal level for pesky dogs. What do most people carry to repel them? Or aren't dogs that much of an issue touring around Australia?
- Luggage capacity. Do most of you trike tourer types utilise a trailer, or do you find there's enough storage room found hanging panniers from the trike?
- What's the worst aspect of touring with a trike?
Apologies for what are probably often asked newbie questions, but if anyone has the time and patience, I'd be pretty grateful for any replies.