Sydneysiders - 'gong ride on your 'bent?

Cyclaholic

Sydneysiders - 'gong ride on your 'bent?

Postby Cyclaholic » Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:13 pm

Anyone here do the annual 'gong ride on your 'bent?

I'm thinking about having a go at doing it on the 'bent, mainly to have something to aim at in terms of improving the legs.... whaddayareckon, a do-able goal by November even though I only have a few weeks on the 'bent so far?

I'm commuting about 30km a day now, and will ramp it up to 50 a day in a couple of weeks. I don't seem to be getting too much faster but the thighs don't burn quite as much on the climbs now. I'm averaging 20km/hr on my 30km commute, and that's with a couple of chockers-full panniers (about 15kg including the 17" laptop)..... and the missus reckons my thighs have definitely started getting thicker.

What I've noticed is that I'm getting really good at turning, and holding a nice straight line. i crank her right over at 45+ degrees, and even make SHHHHWWWOOOOOSSHHHHHHH" sounds while pretending to pilot a jet fighter going around corners :lol: I tell ya, I'm 42 going on 8 :oops: :lol:

recumbenteer

'Gong on a bent

Postby recumbenteer » Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:12 pm

I've done the last 3 on a bent...well a trisled trike. :) .. thats bent enough for me.. :lol:
I regularly commute 50k a day and often do the same dist daily on the w/ends just for fun.
With a steady build up of K's and stamina its definitely do-able.

At 45rys of age :roll: i only avge about 20km/hr...thats fast enough for this old dog.. I like the scenery too much and as for uphills,its granny gearand spin....at least on a trike I can stop and not have to uncleat....one advantage at least.But I corner like a sidecar rider and lean out of the seat on the twisty bits.

As for the thighs... I have a friend that would like me to freshly squeeze oranges for her...LOL :lol:

Uba Tracker

Re: 'Gong on a bent

Postby Uba Tracker » Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:28 am

recumbenteer wrote:At 45rys of age :roll: i only avge about 20km/hr...thats fast enough for this old dog.. I like the scenery too much and as for uphills,its granny gearand spin....
I was beginnig to think I was the only sub 30km/hr 'Bent rider in the world. Deadset, my average speed on any given day is 23 km/hr but that includes 50+ burst down hills tempered by 10 km/hr drags up hills. Nice to know I'm not alone............. :wink:
A bad day's riding beats a good day's work everytime