Recumbent turning question

Recumbents and all feet forward machines

Recumbent turning question

Postby rog on a bike » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:47 pm

Hi All.
Being new to this bent thing I have a question. Having spent about 15/20 hours on the ORCA/LYNXX I'm finding, for some reason, left hand turns a tad more unstable than RHTs.
I initially reviewed my seating position , found it became more unstable and difficult to control in a straight line if I sat off center.
I've adjusted the seat through out its full range and varied the OSS length and pitch to no avail, I still find the left handle bar striking my chest and confining me in tight left hand turns.
Any Ideas?
I suspect the answere will be fairly simple one that just escapes me. If not I'll just put it down to coriolis effect (The direction in which water swirls down the plug hole in the southern hemisphere) find a large flat concrete pad and ride in ever decreasing left hand circles untill I get right :?
Cheers Rog
EVERY HILL HAS A CREST. GETTING THERE BEFORE THE HEART ATTACK IS THE TRICK.
rog on a bike

by BNA » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:39 pm

BNA

Postby Kalgrm » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:39 pm

Can you send us some photos of your bike's setup? (you'll need two more posts to do so). I'd like to see some from above, the side, the front and behind, and a few with you on it (wheel straight and turning left and right.) Video footage of you on the bike would be even better.

I'm guessing there is some unconscious imbalance you're imposing on the bike when you turn one way and not the other.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------------------------
My web site: www.scenebyhird.com
---------------------------------------
The Bicycle Transportation Alliance
Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby rog on a bike » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:40 pm

Thanks Graham. Will do. This will be one of the posts but it will take a couple of days to organize the photos.
Cheers Rog
rog on a bike

Postby Uba Tracker » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:40 pm

Hi Rog, as a fellow Lynxx pilot I can't honestly say that I noticed a tendency towards instability left or right, turning either direction was equally unsteady :?. It was just time on the bike that sorted it for me, practise, practise, practise is the tonic the more time on the bike the more at home you'll feel. I retro fitted mine to USS as I found the begging hamster position too cramped. OSS might be contributing to your sensation of instability, perhaps USS might be worth considering.

cheers

Harry
A bad day's riding beats a good day's work everytime
Uba Tracker

Postby rog on a bike » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:08 pm

Thanks Harry.
I hear you! and understant where you are comming from.
The USS is my intention, however I considered the begging Hampster a good starting point.
I spent about 50 min on the bike today, alot of it doing fig 8s in a large flat paved area. The LHTs are getting better although not as comfortable as the RHTs.
Grahams suggestion of the photographs got me looking at specifics.
I may be stronger on the right hand side of the body (I have a dicky left knee) and am more confident in powering out of an understear position on the RHS than LHS.
Although on reflection it should not matter in which direction I'm turning, given the position of the peddles.
Thanks again and yes I agree there is only one way to skin this cat and that's to keep at it.

Cheers ROG
rog on a bike

Return to Recumbents