Bachetta bikes

Recumbents and all feet forward machines

Bachetta bikes

Postby thomas_cho » Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:20 pm

Hi there,
I am just fresh from a test ride of the Bachetta Giro 26, 20 ... and I am impressed.

Flying furniture's Ian Humphries was extremely helpful about the test ride.

I did not try out the 700C wheels, but will likely do that next time.

Would like to hear some owner's experience of the Bachetta. I weigh in at abt 100kgs, and Ian was of the opinion that having disc brakes would be extremely useful.

I was quite pleasantly surprised at the handling, it was more nimble that I expected.

Is there any other model that I could be trying out in the same price range?

Cheers
Thomas
thomas_cho

by BNA » Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:33 pm

BNA

Postby Kalgrm » Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:33 pm

First up, I'm biased because the Giro 26 (now 700c) is the bike I own, so take anything I say with a grain of salt and a healthy dose of cynicism.

Secondly, why are you looking at a 'bent? What advantage do you perceive? (I think you've mentioned it in another thread, but I can't remember.) The answer to those questions will help us advise about the type of bike which may suit you.

Now the sell: You'll be hard pressed to find anything as good or versatile in that price range in Australia. The disc wheels and ability to use 700c wheels if desired makes the bike anything from racing machine to long distance tourer, with commuting ideally suited. I have a disc-specific pannier rack which I attach in a minute or two when I want to carry larger loads around.

Perhaps a Volae might come close, but I don't know if anyone imports them.

Maybe a Stratus LE (a long wheel base bike) might offer a different perspective if you're looking to cruise long distances without particularly high speeds.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------------------------
My web site: www.scenebyhird.com
The Bicycle Transportation Alliance
Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby thomas_cho » Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:08 pm

hi Graeme,
Thanks for the reply. I am considering a recumbent as my back does not seem to be improving at all. I want to keep riding, and it appears that the recumbent will allow that.

The bent will be used for a relatively short commute (10km each way), as well as more weekend riding. Hoping to get the milege up to 70km rides soon.

How different will a 700C wheel version feel?
thomas_cho

Postby Kalgrm » Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:59 pm

Mine felt smoother and more stable, believe it or not. It's also about 10% faster.

Before I did it, I was concerned that it may have raised my seat too high for easy stationary bike control, but my fears were unfounded: it only raises the bike about an inch, and I feel no different on it when stopped.

I have no regrets about fitting 700c wheels.

If you access to some good quality (or even medium quality) mountain bike parts, consider buying just the frame set. That consists of frame, seat, bars, riser and idler wheel. It saves about $1000 on the price and you can fit the good quality stuff you like. 700c wheels will cost you around $400-500 to make up.

Cheers,
Graeme
Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby thomas_cho » Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:10 pm

Strangely enough I was thinking the same thing abt just getting the frameset. I already have 700C wheels (non-disc), and prefer to have v-brakes for the simplicity.

However, I have to locate a FD that will work with the MTB shifter and also work with a roadie Triple crankset.

I could of course use bar end shifters to do the shifting.
thomas_cho

Postby Kalgrm » Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:37 pm

Bar end shifters are very popular on Bachettas, so you're not doing anything beyond the design parameters with them.

I'm pretty sure any bottom pull MTB FD will do the trick (better confirm that with Ian or Bachetta first though). LX and XT often designate both top and bottom pull now (ie they are dual format).

There is nothing complicated about the disc brakes, but you've already got rim brakes, so it's easier to use what you have. Having the option of going to discs on both the fork and frame will be a comfort, should you decide to ever tour on the Giro. (Disc brakes rock!*)

Cheers,
Graeme

(* Refer to my first sentence in this thread. ;))
Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby thomas_cho » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:23 pm

As far as I know MTB FD curvature is designed for max 48T chainrings. So thats not going to work with road cranksets. Sadly, a road triple FD is not compatible with the MTB shifters.

So the FD that you see on the Bachettas are microshift FD designed for flat bars ie for pod shifters to do the shifting for road cranks.

I would like to have disc brakes. I think I just have a phobia of the unknown, in regards to maintenance, bleeding, adjustment, etc. What abt mechanical disc brakes?

I think going down that path defeats the purpose of buying the frame and building up, as I would have to get new wheelset.

What is the setup on your bachetta?
thomas_cho

Postby Kalgrm » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:41 pm

You could be right re the FD curvature. The Microshift FD is only a cheap item, so don't let it hold you back.

I'm running mechanical discs (Avid BB7) because it was easier than getting a long hydraulic hose made up for the rear brake. Getting a tandem rear brake cable was simple. (You'll need a tandem rear gear cable, but again, that's simple.)

You don't need to do what I'm doing, but for reference, I've got XT dual control levers running a medium cage rapid rise XT RD, Microdrive FD and Avid BB7 brakes. The hubs are XT disc (6 bolt) and the rims are 700c Velocity Deep-V (32 hole, non-machined). Tyres are 23mm UltragatorSkins with My Tuffy liners. I'm also running a "spoke fairing" on the rear wheel for aerodynamics and advertising (thread coming soon). My cassette is a SRAM 12-26 road cassette and my chainrings are 26t - 44t Q-ring - 53t. Cranks are 175mm, but I'm going to put 150mm ones on as soon as I can find a set.

See here and here for more info (if that's possible! :roll: ;))

The Euromesh seat is the one to get. It lets you recline further and absorbs road chatter via the mesh.

Cheers,
Graeme
Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby thomas_cho » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:21 pm

Okay crunch time now.

I am tempted now by the Strada. Its lighter than the Giro, but will cost me an extra $100.

What I would lose going to the strada is the disc brakes.

I have also read a review on the Strada about how the brakes have to be modofied to take 650C wheels, and 26inch wheels, and the front had to be specially designed. As a result braking is not so good.

What is your take on the two?

I think that the 26inch wheels are really a do-it-all convinient wheelsize to have. There is such a wide range of tyres to suit almost every conceivable purpose. Disc brakes definitely give me some security.
thomas_cho

Postby Kalgrm » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:00 pm

I'm going to have to answer without having ridden or seen a Strada, so please don't believe anything I say.*

I'm not sure what niche the Strada is suited to in the Bacchetta line up. The Corsa is lighter and faster. The Giro 26 is more comfortable (steel frame) and versatile. The Giro 20 TT is as light as the Strada.

I've been reading the Bacchetta forum for some time. There's a thread there at the moment asking about what makes a fast bike. In it, some people are stating that they wished they had bought the Corsa from the start, instead of buying the cheaper Strada and attempting to make it faster: the Corsa is already the fast bike. So if you want light, consider the Corsa more carefully. It's a proper race bike. It's light, fast and a much better option than the Strada.

The big thing you lose with the Strada is versatility. I don't believe it takes 700c wheels, so you miss out on that aspect. I don't think you really need disc breaks on the road, but if you ever tour with a heay load, they'd be very reassuring to have. Remember, on a 'bent your maximum speed is higher than on a DF bike, so slowing a heavy mass after a downhill run from a higher speed becomes important. Hot rims get me worried.

26" MTB wheels are certainly a do-it-all format. You can get tyres from 1" through to 2.1" (that's all you would put on the B, anyway, even though you can get much wider ones if needed). Trouble is, when I put the 700c wheels on my Giro, I realised how much faster they were and I now don't want to go back to 26" wheels if I can at all avoid doing so. Yeah, 26" wheels are great, but 700c ones are better! ;)

My opinion, for what it's worth, is to either get the Giro 26, or step straight up to the the Corsa. The Strada leaves you in no-mans' land, since it's not as fast as the Corsa, nor as versatile as the Giro 26.

Cheers,
Graeme

* Probably good policy for all the stuff I write .... :)
Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:28 am

Thomas,

Here are a couple of threads for you to peruse.

"Anyone love their Strada?"

"What makes a fast bike?"

It looks like you're still going to be hard pressed to choose between a Giro and a Strada! :)

Cheers,
Graeme
Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby thomas_cho » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:16 pm

I think its going to come down to whether I really want disc brakes, or just caliper ones.

For that matter ... after my visit to the Osteopath my back feels like its "repairable" ... and I saw some nice Masi fixed speeds at the shops ....
thomas_cho

Postby Low Racer » Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:50 pm

Hi Thomas,
Sorry to hijack. While you were at FF, did you test ride or saw the Corsa? I am very tempted to get the frameset and build it up.

Regards

Chong
Low Racer

Postby thomas_cho » Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:00 pm

Hi there,
Sorry mate, I am not sure, being a first timer, I wasnt too well researched, and did not really know what I was seeing.

I did not ride the corsa, only the Giro 20 and Giro 26, and another cheaper one.

Would value your input into the Giro vs. Strada vs. Corsa tho.

Also the disc brakes vs. caliper brakes

AND 26inch vs 650C wheels.
thomas_cho

Postby Low Racer » Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:53 pm

Hi Thomas,
The Corsa would be the speedier of the 3 models. If all out speed is what you are after than Corsa would be the bike. Not a very versatile bike for touring. Probably ok for commuting with the aero bag that you hang behind the seat.

I have a low racer and just wanting something different but just as fast. The Corsa would be better at the hill than my low racer and where I am, we have plenty of hills.

Good luck in your quest for a bent. Any of the models you mentioned will definitely bring you years of joys and add years to your life.

Chong
Low Racer

Postby william » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:01 am

Hey There Thomas,

I just spent Saturday morning with Ian and came away with the Corsa.
I understand your dilemma with choices and mine was based on the riding I do the most. For the other minor riding my MTB will do.

The bikes you talk of are what Ian would like you to ride based on his experiences and where he has different wheel sets for the same bike its to cover an area or riding that is common with Aussie riding conditions.

For brakes, disk is best and the BB 7's as Graeme suggests are fantastic. Even over the BB 5's. The 7's have a greater pad size and "no tool" replaceable. On a recumbent you can brake so hard you could lock the front wheel and not go over the handle bars.

The Giro 26/26 has to be the most versatile. No question.
On the Saturday afternoon in Canberra I visited Mt Stromolo where they have a dedicated bike race track and mountain bike course. Here they were having some recumbent racing and one colourful character was on a Giro 26/26 fully rigged for touring. Except for the bags he raced it with the rest of them and did some respectable times, even against the low racers. At the end of the day he put his bags back on and rode home back to Canberra 30 K's away.

For me I'm learning to enjoy this Corsa... Whoosh!

Regards,

William.
william

Postby NotTim » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:19 am

Congrats William,

I'm exceedingly jealous, Do you mind telling us what you paid for it?

I think I need reminding exactly how far out of my reach one is at the moment.
NotTim

Return to Recumbents