What's your reply?

Low Racer

What's your reply?

Postby Low Racer » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:43 pm

Hi all,
What's your reply to those who has dim views of bents? Is forgiving their ignorance the best or would you try to explain the +/-ve side of bent?

If this has been debated kindly link me to it. Thanks.

Chong

Cyclaholic

Postby Cyclaholic » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:00 pm

Depends on who it is. My dad tells me the 'bent is really weird and 'not a real bike' but I know he mostly likes to get a rise out of me because he's a stirrer, not because he has any ill will.

If someone is genuinely interested I'll take the time to share information, but if some bogan decides that everyone, including me, is entitled to their completely uninformed opinion then I just walk (ride) away and leave them to talk to the pavement.... life is too short to bother trying to save idiots from themselves.

Ultimately, everyone has their opinion, but as far as my bike is concerned the only opinion that matters to me is my own.

Low Racer

Postby Low Racer » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:39 pm

Thanks Cyclaholic. Good advice.

Chong

froodh

Postby froodh » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:31 pm

You could tell them where to stick their opinion and then ride off. If you are as fast as you have mentioned in a previous thread, they won't be able to catch you! :p

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:26 pm

A few different tactics are called for, depending on the situation.

Firstly, always try to explain to those who are genuinely interested in learning.

Next, ignore the total yankers: nothing will help them.

For the one-liners yelled out as you pass, have a few responses already in mind. Most of the one-liners are not very inventive, so you can answer from your prepared statements. The two most common ones are "Get a real Bike!" (my answer is "Why?") and "Do a wheelie!" (my answer is "I thought I was!" :shock: ) The answers have to be short and sharp, since you don't have time as you pass by to get into a detailed explanation of physics and/or psychology.

Every now and then you'll get a roadie with an attitude pull along-side and start giving you crap. Just ride away, or talk if you're feeling like some sport. It's up to you. (Ask them how their erectile dysfunction is going .... :twisted: )

Mostly, you're going to have to decide if they actually have anything like an open mind. If they do, just be honest about why YOU ride one. If they don't, just change the subject or walk away.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

Recycler

Postby Recycler » Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:34 pm

Howdy Low Racer, Let them live in IGNORANCE.