Lightening P-38 Clone Seat Bag

Aushiker

Lightening P-38 Clone Seat Bag

Postby Aushiker » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:43 pm

I have just purchased a N+1, a Lightening Dynamic Cycles P-38 clone, built by Martin Arnold of Logo Trikes fame. The photo is of the bike as pretty much sold to me.

I have a couple of things I need to sort out with the bike. One is a seat bag and the other is the handlebars. The first issue I want to resolve is the seat bag.

The seat is 14" (35 cm) wide. It is one made by Martin so not sure how that compares to the likes of the Lightening seat.

I do like the look of the Radical Designs Universal Aero but it is seriously pricey. I would consider it if it is likely to have an aero effect; would this be likely?

Are there other options which may be practical in terms of usage (e.g., will hold a bladder) as well as providing some aero advantages.

Or am I kidding myself in terms of aero advantage?

Thanks
Andrew

just4tehhalibut

Re: Lightening P-38 Clone Seat Bag

Postby just4tehhalibut » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:27 pm

And now you have two recumbents.
If you want a bag for your bike that has some capacity but is also aerodynamic then there's plenty of options, plenty of seatbags, sidepods and panniers that'll work. And a Windwrap XT front fairing wouldn't hurt.
Side bags:
Radical also sells sidepods, a sort of slung bag that fits over the seat and the pods hang on either side of the seat. Some models don't fit wide seats but Radical has changed most designs recently. Still a bit expensive. I can show you some sidepops.
A bit cheaper, Fastbacksells various sling bags like the sidepods but instead of hanging off the sides they are strapped tight under each side or the centre of the seat (depending on model). Again, mesh seats mean a little adjustment is required for fit but this is easier to sort out. I have the Double Century bags if you want to see these.

Seat bags:
I prefer seatbags over sidepods, capacity, access to one large compartment, ease of use with hydration packs, aerodynamics put seatbags over the line. Bacchetta has a bag to suit mesh seats, can't recall whuch one, RANS has several including a streamlined bag but I've been badly stung with postage when buying direct from them (try Hostel Shoppe or elsewhere first or group buy). Angletech sells a very smart aeropod bag, especially if you like compartments. And Arkelsells a seatbag.

Panniers:
I've seen a P38 in Freo with aero panniers, can't remember if they were the RANS crescent panniers or the Techwind panniers. Remember that with recumbents you aren't restricted to tall panniers because you won't get heel strike, Arkel makes a couple of the more horizontal bags and these are incidentally more aerodynamic. And Ortlieb makes the best recumbent pannier, I can show you a pair of these also.

I can show you various of these bags and the XT fairing, just give me a week as I've just got back from the Great Vic ride. it'll take me a mo' to find these things as well as where I stored the clean underwear. Whatever you decide a group buy might soften costs.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:57 pm

Thanks Dave for your comprehensive reply. Would love to drop over to check out gear so do let me know when you are all sorted.

I have touched base with Radical Designs and their suggestion given my seat width is their Universal Classic bag. Not really what I had in mind.

PaulW at BROL who has a P-38 suggested seriously considering Angletech's Aerotrunk III so I have emailed them to check on the fit. If that comes up okay I might go this way so if you want to order anything from Angletech happy to share postage.

In terms of panniers I have a complete set of Ortlieb Sports Packer Plus panniers so would use them for touring, but not really keen on going down that path for commuting and Audax rides.

Seatpods are really not my thing either so hopefully can work out a suitable seatbag option.

Regards
Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:56 pm

My AeroTrunk III has arrived from Angletech and is now fitted to my LoGo P-38. Yet to get a feel for the performance increases but this is how it looks :)

Andrew

jaffaman

Postby jaffaman » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:04 pm

Looks well made and very long but a pretty good match to the bike. Fits a fair bit in I assume. Out of interest how much did they charge you for postage?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:41 pm

jaffaman wrote:Looks well made and very long but a pretty good match to the bike. Fits a fair bit in I assume. Out of interest how much did they charge you for postage?
I ordered a few other things for someone else so my share of the postage was US$41 or thereabouts ... the total postage was US$61 for priority mail.

Andrew