New advise needed for training on recumbent bike

Recumbents and all feet forward machines

New advise needed for training on recumbent bike

Postby auswi2 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:20 pm

Hello,

I have been road group cycling most weekends doing a 35km ride on a Sat and a 55km ride on Sunday for the last few months but don't have time to hop on my road bike during the week due to other commitments.

I have a Cardio Gym that has a recumbent bike with approx 6 programs plus 2 user programs. As I struggle with any hills short or long and endurance riding I hope by spending some time on the recumbent bike this will improve my climbing ability and endurance.

As I can hop on the recumbent bike at any time day or night Can you suggest how long I should spend on the recumbent bike every week to improve.

Any Suggestions really appreciated

Thanks
Auswi2
auswi2

by BNA » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:49 pm

BNA

Re: New advise needed for training on recumbent bike

Postby John Lewis » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:49 pm

Well any training will help I guess but there is a possible problem that I see.

Recumbent riding recruits different muscle groups to riding an upright. You are told of the time it takes to get your "bent" legs. Whether training those bent muscles will help or not I can't tell. Someone on he will have the answer though.

You might do better finding a nearby hill and doing some hill repeats a couple of times a week. I improved my ability quite a bit a while back by doing that just on a nearby steepish street.

John
John Lewis

Postby auswi2 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:26 pm

Thanks for that,

I believe a recombent bike uses the same 3 muscle groups as a normal road bike.

Quads, Gluts and Hamstrings. What I will have to do is HIT - High Intensity Training starting at a easy level for 1 minute and moving up the levels for 1 minute at a time so i get to the point that I cant talk and cycle and then just reapeat as many times as i can

This should help improve my hills and endurance

Cheers

Auswi2
auswi2

Postby Riggsbie » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:23 pm

+1 to what John said.....

There is a minimum of 3 months crossover from upright to recumbent and your Quads will definitely feel it.....

I do a lot of training on a recumbent trainer and spin spin spin......I do lots of high cadence work which really helps hill climbing in the real world.....I aim to average 105rpm and peak at around 130rpm on my trainer.....in the real world this gives me an average of 95 rpm and a peak of 125rpm on longer cranks....

I also punish myself by not using a fan (sometimes) to simulate the hot days in my Mango velomobile.....my minimum indoor training session is 1hr20mins....with a 15 minute warm up and a 15 minute warm down and the bit in the middle is 50minutes of fun ;-). My prime reason to train is to increase my aerobic fitness and shed that writer plumage so I dont bang a long at really high heart rates, just sit at 65-75% max HR.....

I have lost over 40kg in 2.5 years doing this......

Have fun

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Riggsbie

Return to Recumbents