Where did your Recumbent take you today?

Aushiker

Where did your Recumbent take you today?

Postby Aushiker » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:54 pm

At another recumbent forum, no not that one, there is a thread where one can share about your rides. Just little stories that don't warrant a new thread but which may be of interest etc. Anyway I thought it might be good to have something similar here. Guess it will work or die :)

Anyway to get things rolling, I got the LoGo Lightning P-38 out again today, nearly 200 kilometres now and went for a short ride to end the year. Whilst riding around Herdsman Lake minding my business, a rider who was coming towards me with I assume his friend just lifted his arm and pointed at me as if I was a zoo animal or something. What was he thinking? I am an object? Gee whiz, but isn't pointing rude?

I have experienced a couple of other incidents of people pulling alongside in their cars to video me; I can sort of cope with this as long as it is done safely and without disruption of others - unfortunately that is not always the case.

Anyway for some reason this guy got up my nose. All he had to do was say hi, nice bike or whatever, ask a question and I would have happily stopped, but being rude didn't work.

The video ...

Andrew

HappyHumber

Re: Where did your Recumbent take you today?

Postby HappyHumber » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:09 pm

Maybe he was just a bit 'special' himself, not too much unlike you 'bent riders. ;)

Was a bloke I used to pass on a MTB and trailer every now and then on the Roe Hway PSP. Saw him at my local IGA one day about to mount up, and I complimented him on his set up. From his reaction I realised he was bit challenged mentally and pretty socially awkward.

Anyway, I'm outta here before the lynch mob arrives.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:15 pm

HappyHumber wrote:Maybe he was just a bit 'special' himself, not too much unlike you 'bent riders. ;)
That could be the case.

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:07 pm

Found a broken spoke in my 700c rear today when I was swapping out the Tektro brakes for Avid BB7 so decided to try out a 26" rear whilst the 700c is in for a new spoke and truing.

Short 24 km test ride this afternoon to make sure all is good. Average speed was done but then the winds where pretty bad so not sure if it is the wheel or not yet.

Also saw a wedding party at a funny place for a photo shot - not exactly scenic.

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:45 pm

I got out on Sunday with the intention of the completing the Strava Gran Fondo 2 Challenge (130 km ride) but alas it was not be. My front tyre blew out when doing a slow 25 km/h and I hit the bitumen. At the time I had hurt my knee (hurt walking) but it felt okay to ride with it so I continued with the ride ... was about 1/3 way into it the planned distance.

That was a mistake. With about 30 km to go I was down to crawling along in pain so had to abort the ride. A day later I am on crutches and have an appointment with an orthopaedic surgeon. Nurse Anne (my partner) is not helping either ... getting the told you I would pick you up, this is your fault perspective and now in trouble for being at the computer :) Never have a relationship with nurses :)

One positive to come out of it was meeting Bartek and Sinner Bikes Mango. I really need to get one :)

Oh the bike is okay.

This photo was taken later in the ride at the Alco's Aluminium Refinery. I ended up doing 118 kilometres :(

Anyway that is the last riding update for awhile from me I suspect :( How was your weekend riding?

Andrew

Bartek

Postby Bartek » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:54 am

Hey Andrew

Good to meet you on Sunday, glad you managed to fix the puncture but sorry to hear the knee is still playing up (good luck!) I know the deal with nurses and sympathy (or total lack of!) as my wife is a nurse also. I managed to clock up 93+ km on my work commute and the Mango ran smoothly as usual allowing me to average about 29 km/hr. Looking forward to a month commuting to Mandurah starting St, Pat's day!
Sinner Mango Sport RE
KMX Viper
Trek 350

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:35 pm

Bartek wrote:I managed to clock up 93+ km on my work commute and the Mango ran smoothly as usual allowing me to average about 29 km/hr.
That is a nice set of numbers ... 93 km, I could handle in the Mango :)

As my little problem, I saw the orthopaedic surgeon today ... good news, bad news. The good news is no operation required; the bad news is I am off the bike for probably six weeks and in a brace as I have managed to tear my medial cruciate ligament. I also have to have a CT scan to check the knee for any other possible damage to be on the safe side.

Ah well could have been worse I guess.

Andrew

recumbenteer

Postby recumbenteer » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:23 pm

Decided that last Saturday was wet enough in Sydney to take the RV out for a ride n see just how I fare ... Apart from the humidity I stayed dry... I think lol ImageImage

http://rvvelonaut.blogspot.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Trisled Rotovelo Mk 2
Rotovelo Across Australia

Riggsbie

Postby Riggsbie » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:50 pm

I did some more Audax training for the Oppy in a few weeks

http://www.strava.com/activities/115374510" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:18 pm

Aushiker wrote:
Bartek wrote:I managed to clock up 93+ km on my work commute and the Mango ran smoothly as usual allowing me to average about 29 km/hr.
That is a nice set of numbers ... 93 km, I could handle in the Mango :)

As my little problem, I saw the orthopaedic surgeon today ... good news, bad news. The good news is no operation required; the bad news is I am off the bike for probably six weeks and in a brace as I have managed to tear my medial cruciate ligament. I also have to have a CT scan to check the knee for any other possible damage to be on the safe side.

Ah well could have been worse I guess.

Andrew
You did this cycling Andrew? :shock: How?
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:42 am

RonK wrote:You did this cycling Andrew? :shock: How?
Yep ... details in a post a few back from this one.

Andrew

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:32 pm

That sucks mate, hope it heals well.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:22 pm

ldrcycles wrote:That sucks mate, hope it heals well.
+ 1 :)

Andrew

gudism

Postby gudism » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:06 pm

Ah bugger.......no good re the knee man. And I'm sorry.....I'm a nurse too and I wouldn't have given you any sympathy either! ;-)

I took the new trike out for a proper first ride today, only a little 5km loop around the local estate but it was my first ride so kept it small.
Was awesome though! So much fun riding along so low to the ground relaxing back in the seat!

And I got a few bizarre looks from the locals......especially one young girl. My pet hate is people walking on bike/pedestrian paths with headphones one. This young girl today couldn't hear my bell, my calls of excuse me, which in the end became a yell with still no result!
In the end, after basically sitting 1 metre behind her for a few minutes until a gap opened on one side (she was wandering side to side up the pathway) and I shot past her! And I think she crapped herself!

Mbike23

Postby Mbike23 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:03 pm

No where
After a very bad day at work I needed some mental reset from the trike.
Got home and went the get the trike out and it's got a phantom flat :(
So took the 29er instead, still have to fix the flat.

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:33 am

In to town to the barbershop and then to Coles for a few things.
Met a group of young Chinese chaps only one of whom seemed to speak English.
They all got their pictures taken in the Mango much to their delight.
A good run in down the highway with a tailwind and then I was lucky to also get one on the way home.
Averaged about 26 kmh with a max of 58. Fastest I've done in a long time.

John

Riggsbie

Postby Riggsbie » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:58 pm

Good effort John.....

burnt

Postby burnt » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:08 pm

Brisbane Recumbent Group ride

julesa

Postby julesa » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:17 am

:shock: :shock: That's the look from the majority of locals since we started taking the trikes out, the kids point and excitedly tell their parents LOOK!!!! We have had a few funny comments thrown our way, all very good natured. Those who stop us to ask all the usual questions go home to look the trikes up online. We are still strange enough that the cars take a really wide berth around us so we feel very safe. Did our first overnight camp on the Lilydale Warburton Railtrail and had had just the best time. As soon as I learn how to download pics from my iphone we can share some photos..

What a great idea for just sharing our riding experiences, even if they are not exceptional in speed or distance they are an encouragement to just hav a go and enjoy :D :D

Julesa

gudism

Postby gudism » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:35 pm

Unfortunately I haven't gotten out on the trike in a week as I had a certain baby ending procedure performed. However, on my last ride picking the kids up from school, I rode past the local high school with students lined up after school waiting for the bus......probably a good 200 students sitting waiting. And all we heard was a chorus of teenagers commenting on the trike, saying how cool it was, and they'd love to have a bike like that! It felt great! (I like being...unusual)

I got the trike serviced today, and got the boom extended on my Performer F to suit my 6'7" frame (was elated to see the frame went long enough to fit me!).
But a funny thing happened.......the mechanic, a strictly DF rider, took it for a ride and told me he is hooked on a bent trike! He loved it! Reminded him of being a kid driving a go cart.

Anyway, looking forward to going for a ride with the boom at the right length, shame my clipless shoes havent arrived yet...

Riggsbie

Postby Riggsbie » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:09 pm

This weekend I completed the Audax Opperman 24hr Trial.... Thanks to a good team (all recumbents) and good support we completed our planned 365km with over 5 hr sleep time at 22:30 - 05:00....

Riggsbie

Postby Riggsbie » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:44 pm

Here's the link.....

http://www.strava.com/activities/121439056" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I used my Catbike Musashi at it behaved brilliantly.....no punctures, awesome weather (thunder bolts and lightning.....)......excellent team.....

Simon Watt even managed an Offroad section, his ears were burning 20km as we arrived on that surprise before Simon's team !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

cherock

Postby cherock » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:24 pm

Hey Paul, I completed the Oppy 24hr ride too with my Bacchetta Corsa. Not many recumbent riders in Audax Qld so I was the only one in our team and the lone 'bent out of the 24 Oppy riders here in Brisbane. I read that in ACT there was an all recumbent Oppy team.

No punctures for me but the weirdest thing happened.. about 320km into the ride, my left crank fell off!! Tighten it up and fell off again, this happened a few more times until we finish. We had a 5-member team and while everyone's got a different cycling background, we made a fantastic team. We also had amazing support from an experienced Audax RO. Altogether we covered a distance of 403km and an unexpected 4100m of climbing (we were promised a flat terrain route).

Link to the ride:
http://www.strava.com/activities/120982701" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Melvyn

burnt

Postby burnt » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:02 am

Great effort to both Melvyn and Riggsbie-I must say it does pique my interest in Audax events!
I like the sustained riding required rather than flat out, much better on the heart for an old fart like me. Impressive averages by both you guys-kudos!

Riggsbie/Melvyn, would they allow a Mango on these events? Would a Greenspeed GT3 do Ok on these rides?

More reading required.

cherock

Postby cherock » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:37 pm

Terry, come ride with us next time! You don't have to be a member to join the events, it cost only $10 extra for a non-member to participate in any of the Audax rides.
Velomobile is definitely allowed for Audax rides. Any bicycles are allowed as long as it is roadworthy. For night rides, some lighting rules apply: http://www.audax.org.au/public/index.ph ... Itemid=124

Velomobile is very ideal for Audax rides. The only exception would be hilly rides coupled with hot days. Check out the online ride calendar for the upcoming rides: http://www.audax.org.au/public/index.ph ... r&Itemid=2