Where did your Recumbent take you today?

gretaboy
Posts: 1244
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 11:23 am
Location: Hunter Valley

Re: Where did your Recumbent take you today?

Postby gretaboy » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:39 pm

find_bruce wrote:
gretaboy wrote:My proof

That's not proof you made it to the top, just proof you made it to the first corner :mrgreen:


Yeah that would be right...try and take my glory away from me
Image

User avatar
Riggsbie
Posts: 659
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:55 pm
Location: Geelong, Vic

Re: Where did your Recumbent take you today?

Postby Riggsbie » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:36 pm

Image

Great day in the Mango.... Started off as a regular 60km ride and ended up as a 105km ride....

Checked tyre pressures and they were low....25psi (that's why it was so hard yesterday).... Whacked they upto 90psi and the Mango was flying !!

Dropped into Breamlee and took this photo... Met a great family (3 generations) and they instantly understood the Mango.... I then spotted the many PV panels, solar hot water and rainwater tanks.... They understand the need for alternatives... I have some new friends !!

Saw some great bird life.... Maggies taking on a falcon.... Great stuff
Image

John Lewis
Posts: 1297
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:12 pm
Location: Albany. 400km South of Perth

Re: Where did your Recumbent take you today?

Postby John Lewis » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:47 pm

Bit of nice scenery there Riggsbie.
Mango looks like it was enjoying the day too. :mrgreen:
It's amazing what difference tire pressure makes.
I wonder what different tires might do to.
I had a Big Apple on the rear originally then They sent a Swalbe Marathon Greenguard (e Bike Ready) tire with the Risse shock as the BA was likely to rub.
I'm sure that Marathon is no where near as fast as the BA. Bomb proof though.

What are you lot using front and rear? I still have Kojaks on the front and will for a while as I have several of them.

John

User avatar
Bartek
Posts: 195
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:43 pm
Location: Waikiki, Western Australia

Re: Where did your Recumbent take you today?

Postby Bartek » Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:50 pm

I still have the kojaks on the front and the Marathon racer on the rear. I have purchased some shredda's (front and rear) ready as replacements
Sinner Mango Sport RE
KMX Viper
Trek 350

burnt
Posts: 89
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:44 am

Re: Where did your Recumbent take you today?

Postby burnt » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:32 pm

Heard lots of good things about the Shreddas, will be interested in what you think about them.

I'm running Kojaks front and just gone back to a Big Apple rear after wearing out a M Racer-the BA gives a nicer ride, but not so sure about its puncture resistance. Not one puncture on the M Racer.

User avatar
Riggsbie
Posts: 659
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:55 pm
Location: Geelong, Vic

Re: Where did your Recumbent take you today?

Postby Riggsbie » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:05 pm

I still have my original BA on the rear.....looks a bit tired now but I'll wait until I see the blue safeguard material....

In the winter months I run Marathon Racers on the front, in the summer I use Duranos.....

So what are the Shredda's ?

Any links ?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Image

gretaboy
Posts: 1244
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 11:23 am
Location: Hunter Valley

Re: Where did your Recumbent take you today?

Postby gretaboy » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:20 am

Had a brilliant ride from Parliament house in Canberra to the Opera house. Just under 300 k's all up.

Had a ball and the Scorpion FS26 ran so smoothly the whole way. Stayed with the DF bikes easily but when we got to Sydney and the constant hills I was gone, my legs had nothing in them and the other riders left me for dead.
Image

Low Racer
Posts: 387
Joined: Wed May 21, 2008 7:04 pm
Location: Coffs Harbour

Re: Where did your Recumbent take you today?

Postby Low Racer » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:38 pm

Well done Stu. Congrats for finishing the ride.

User avatar
Bartek
Posts: 195
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:43 pm
Location: Waikiki, Western Australia

Re: Where did your Recumbent take you today?

Postby Bartek » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:51 pm

Riggsbie wrote:I still have my original BA on the rear.....looks a bit tired now but I'll wait until I see the blue safeguard material....

In the winter months I run Marathon Racers on the front, in the summer I use Duranos.....

So what are the Shredda's ?

Any links ?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD


http://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tires/bmx/shredda

Harry swears by them so I thought I would get some in ready for when I need them.
Sinner Mango Sport RE
KMX Viper
Trek 350

John Lewis
Posts: 1297
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:12 pm
Location: Albany. 400km South of Perth

Re: Where did your Recumbent take you today?

Postby John Lewis » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:58 pm

gretaboy wrote:Had a brilliant ride from Parliament house in Canberra to the Opera house. Just under 300 k's all up.

Had a ball and the Scorpion FS26 ran so smoothly the whole way. Stayed with the DF bikes easily but when we got to Sydney and the constant hills I was gone, my legs had nothing in them and the other riders left me for dead.


Thats more than a quick jaunt in the park.
You might have been left on the hills but I'll bet you had less aches and pains than the DF guys at the end of the ride.

Great stuff gretaboy. Good to see you back out riding.

John

John Lewis
Posts: 1297
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:12 pm
Location: Albany. 400km South of Perth

Re: Where did your Recumbent take you today?

Postby John Lewis » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:01 pm

Bartek wrote:
Riggsbie wrote:I still have my original BA on the rear.....looks a bit tired now but I'll wait until I see the blue safeguard material....

In the winter months I run Marathon Racers on the front, in the summer I use Duranos.....

So what are the Shredda's ?

Any links ?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD


http://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tires/bmx/shredda

Harry swears by them so I thought I would get some in ready for when I need them.


Must get some to try. Are you looking at using them all round? I'd guess 40x406 frontand 44 or 50 o the rear would be the go.

John

OldBloke
Posts: 249
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:27 pm

Re: Where did your Recumbent take you today?

Postby OldBloke » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:06 pm

Recently my wife and I went for a leisurely ride along Swansea Channel, Lake Macquarie. Beautiful part of the world.

ImageTrike x2-3 by ThisOldBloke, on Flickr

OB

User avatar
Bartek
Posts: 195
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:43 pm
Location: Waikiki, Western Australia

Re: Where did your Recumbent take you today?

Postby Bartek » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:55 pm

John Lewis wrote:
Bartek wrote:
Riggsbie wrote:I still have my original BA on the rear.....looks a bit tired now but I'll wait until I see the blue safeguard material....

In the winter months I run Marathon Racers on the front, in the summer I use Duranos.....

So what are the Shredda's ?

Any links ?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD


http://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tires/bmx/shredda

Harry swears by them so I thought I would get some in ready for when I need them.


Must get some to try. Are you looking at using them all round? I'd guess 40x406 frontand 44 or 50 o the rear would be the go.

John


Yes John, I plan to use them all round. cant remember the sizes at the moment but the rear one is wider
Sinner Mango Sport RE
KMX Viper
Trek 350

Arakasy
Posts: 74
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:21 am

Re: Where did your Recumbent take you today?

Postby Arakasy » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:35 am

Completed 100 km ride along our local dam last night on the trike E, was a perfect night ride, all stars no wind :) and some fool with a cap gun thought it would be funny to shoot it at my face.... Lol silly kids dad stopped up the road and made him say sorry :)

Have found I can punch my baby upto 37.4 km/h on the flat with no assist... And maintain for a few K... What sort of speeds do you guys get on the flat (average commute speed is 25.9 km/h
Don't Panic
And I don't know
Ride casual... Not to casual
They might snap out it's comfortable !!

gretaboy
Posts: 1244
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 11:23 am
Location: Hunter Valley

Re: Where did your Recumbent take you today?

Postby gretaboy » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:06 am

Did the Newcastle to Dungog ride sat, 90k all up. Had two other recumbent trikes do it with me and we had a ball together.

We also rode back, so all up i did 180k's for the day, my longest ever ride. What made it memorable was the heat..my garmin was saying 45 degrees at one stage, but overall i dont think it got over 35.

The best bit..apart from some soreness in the legs not one part of my body was hurting...just got to love the benefits of a recumbent
Image

Low Racer
Posts: 387
Joined: Wed May 21, 2008 7:04 pm
Location: Coffs Harbour

Re: Where did your Recumbent take you today?

Postby Low Racer » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:38 pm

That's quite an achievement Stuart. 180km would be a struggle for me on 2 wheels, mind alone the extra wheel of a trike.
Great effort.

gretaboy
Posts: 1244
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 11:23 am
Location: Hunter Valley

Re: Where did your Recumbent take you today?

Postby gretaboy » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:49 pm

Low Racer wrote:That's quite an achievement Stuart. 180km would be a struggle for me on 2 wheels, mind alone the extra wheel of a trike.
Great effort.


Cheers Chong....I had an absolute ball doing it..the heat was an issue but just took our time

Next aim is the Sydney to Newcastle overnight ride..176k then the ride home 45k lol
Image

User avatar
chuckchunder
Posts: 372
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:18 pm

Re: Where did your Recumbent take you today?

Postby chuckchunder » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:29 pm

Excellent effort greta!

on the trike you do feel a bit like a prawn on a barbie when it gets hot. I've found that wearing white, at least for jersey and arms, makes a real difference.
"We have thousands of miles of cycling infrastructure, we just need to get the cars off them....." US advocate

Baalzamon
Posts: 5333
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:23 pm
Location: Yangebup

Re: Where did your Recumbent take you today?

Postby Baalzamon » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:06 pm

chuckchunder wrote:Excellent effort greta!

on the trike you do feel a bit like a prawn on a barbie when it gets hot. I've found that wearing white, at least for jersey and arms, makes a real difference.


I was getting that feeling when I had my Ice Trike. Sun beats down and wish for shade.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810
Image

gretaboy
Posts: 1244
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 11:23 am
Location: Hunter Valley

Re: Where did your Recumbent take you today?

Postby gretaboy » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:39 am

chuckchunder wrote:Excellent effort greta!

on the trike you do feel a bit like a prawn on a barbie when it gets hot. I've found that wearing white, at least for jersey and arms, makes a real difference.


The two other trike riders i was with were well setup for the sun compared to me...i learnt a bit that ride,

They had these nice wide brim adjustable peaks for the helmets, using velcro they can move the peak to whichever side the sun is coming from. They also had caps with removable flaps for the neck and the side of the faces which they wore under the helmets.

Both had sun leggings, one was white the other black. In their getup they looked like dorks but all that mattered was that they were protected from the sun.

I will certainly be dropping some coin on similar gear soon
Image

User avatar
find_bruce
Posts: 6853
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Where did your Recumbent take you today?

Postby find_bruce » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:48 am

gretaboy wrote:The two other trike riders i was with were well setup for the sun compared to me...i learnt a bit that ride,

They had these nice wide brim adjustable peaks for the helmets, using velcro they can move the peak to whichever side the sun is coming from. They also had caps with removable flaps for the neck and the side of the faces which they wore under the helmets.

Both had sun leggings, one was white the other black. In their getup they looked like dorks but all that mattered was that they were protected from the sun.

I will certainly be dropping some coin on similar gear soon

Any truth in the rumour you use a parasol ?
Image

gretaboy
Posts: 1244
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 11:23 am
Location: Hunter Valley

Re: Where did your Recumbent take you today?

Postby gretaboy » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:08 am

find_bruce wrote:Any truth in the rumour you use a parasol ?


No, I didnt want to steal your thunder :)
Image

User avatar
chuckchunder
Posts: 372
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:18 pm

Re: Where did your Recumbent take you today?

Postby chuckchunder » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:39 am

Up into the hills today.....

Image

Image

Image
"We have thousands of miles of cycling infrastructure, we just need to get the cars off them....." US advocate

User avatar
bradwoodbr
Posts: 414
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:12 pm
Location: Perth Western Australia
Contact:

Re: Where did your Recumbent take you today?

Postby bradwoodbr » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:22 am

Looking good Glen. It is great to know you are back on the trike.
Optima Baron Raptor
Low Racer - Recumbent
http://lowracerrider.blogspot.com/
Rotovelo velomobile

eggaweb
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:31 pm

Re: Where did your Recumbent take you today?

Postby eggaweb » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:43 pm

I didn't have one unfortunately. I look forward to the day when I have my horse, a 1 horse power electric recumbent enclosed velomobile! But for now I need to make do with the 1 horse power electric upright :roll: I'm looking at the cruzbike sofrider which goes for only $1300. Any ideas about this one?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users