Where did your Recumbent take you today?

petie

Re: Where did your Recumbent take you today?

Postby petie » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:32 pm

eggaweb wrote:I didn't have one unfortunately. I look forward to the day when I have my horse, a 1 horse power electric recumbent enclosed velomobile! But for now I need to make do with the 1 horse power electric upright :roll: I'm looking at the cruzbike sofrider which goes for only $1300. Any ideas about this one?

Have test ridden one. FWD might take some getting used to, but to me felt like you could power along a little easier using your upper body as well. Don't go there if you have weak knees.

Not sure what spec you're after either, but I don't think the softrider is anything flash. Also doesn't recline much for that aero advantage.

Cost effective though.

Roinik

Postby Roinik » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:25 am

FWD takes about 10-15 mins to get pedalling if you've not had any bent experience, then around 1000 km to become cavalier and reckless. Your knees aren't the issue with FWD because all of the pivoting (except for tight corners) is done with the hips. They are fun and you can throw them around a fair bit. One limitation is that if you're expecting to climb 9% or above you can expect a bit of wheel slip. The full suspension is great. You will probably end up upgrading the rear shock because it is a cheaper unit. Plenty of options when that time comes.

There's still one advertised on OzHPV for $1000 in Sydney. The components are ok and what you'd normally expect on a generic hybrid. Do not expect to go blindingly fast because of the upright seating position. I find that the seating position is far better in traffic.
You don't need the best kit, you just need the best attitude.

petie

Postby petie » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:52 pm

Roinik wrote:FWD takes about 10-15 mins to get pedalling if you've not had any bent experience, then around 1000 km to become cavalier and reckless. Your knees aren't the issue with FWD because all of the pivoting (except for tight corners) is done with the hips. They are fun and you can throw them around a fair bit. One limitation is that if you're expecting to climb 9% or above you can expect a bit of wheel slip. The full suspension is great. You will probably end up upgrading the rear shock because it is a cheaper unit. Plenty of options when that time comes.

There's still one advertised on OzHPV for $1000 in Sydney. The components are ok and what you'd normally expect on a generic hybrid. Do not expect to go blindingly fast because of the upright seating position. I find that the seating position is far better in traffic.

The softrider? That sold ages (mid last year) ago. Take that page with a grain of salt (like the website), I'm fairly certain it's a running joke or something. Everything I've ever enquired about is long long gone (i.e. months, if not years ago)

Low Racer

Postby Low Racer » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:19 am

There is a Cruzbike Quest for sale on Gumtree. Going for a song. Great deal if not sold yet. Shamed I have run out of storage space.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/adelaide ... 1062379000

petie

Postby petie » Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:56 pm

Rode down to Barwon Heads and around. Got my first recumbent sunburn, used my mtb sunscreen application routine and obviously got fried :'(

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:24 pm

Got the LoGo P-38 out of a the shed for a ride down to the harbour hoping to photograph the Margaret River Bridge coming into harbour but no sign of her. According to Fremantle Port the move started at 11:07 and I was out there not long afterwards. First attempt at photographing arrivals so maybe I should waited a lot longer.

Checking now it seems she is still out in Gage Roads and a good 20 minutes away from the harbour entrance ... whoops :oops:

Ah well nice little cruise.

Andrew
Andrew
~ Aushiker.com

burnt

Postby burnt » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:58 pm

Out to my former workplace, Brisbane Airport, where the plane spotters gather;

TrikeTragic

Postby TrikeTragic » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:03 am

Thread resurrection from 2015....
Not today but....
Did the five day version of the great Victorian Bike Ride from Halls Gap to Apollo Bay in late November 2016 on my Flying Furniture / Appoyo 20 - 26 tadpole trike. First GVBR since 2008 - work got in the way but I've fixed that.

There were several trikes on the ride, including an upright tandem for a disabled rider, the remaining trikes pretty much Greenspeeds of various models.

GVBR's are great fun, the social side of living in a tent city of 4,500 riders and volunteers ranging from 8 to 80-somethings, people in groups and people just along for the ride, is something quite special.

Riding the trike in among all those upright cyclists (of various skill levels...) is good fun. I find I end up with something of a moving acquaintance group of people who pass me on the climbs and who I then pass on the descents. People are often impressed by how damned fast the trike is on longer descents...

This year's ride was quite special - because Victoria has had so much late rain the Western Victorian part of the ride was unusually lush and green (not scalded yellow...) The Great Ocean Road ride was scenic as you might expect, and punishing for the ride from the 12 Apostles to Apollo Bay. Not so much the well know climb up Lavers Hill, but the 6 km or so in the last 15 kn of the ride before Apollo Bay - a serious 1st gear climb (Can't tell you the % grade, not that smart) with really no let up where you could get a spell for your legs. Lots and lots of people walking bits of this, on the trike I could just keep rolling the legs and keeping the body inside its limits!

All compensated by the whoo - hooo descent into Apollo Bay!

Would I do it again - yep! (2017 starts at Wilsons Prom and winds through Gipplsland. May have a hill or two....)

Cheers

Alan
Alan
BentCyclist