training rollers for trike

Old Triker

training rollers for trike

Postby Old Triker » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:53 am

My trusty Greenspeed has been unused for a few years.Its not been used much since a medical retirement in 2000. I need to get some exercise but I'm not ready yet for the road. I should only need a couple of rollers under the back wheel to turn the trike into an exercise bike. I'm no engineer or mechanic so can't make them myself. Any suggestions where to get something suitable?

Bartek

Re: training rollers for trike

Postby Bartek » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:36 am

If you Google "cycle trainers for trikes" then you will find quite a few, you may even be able to use a standard one depending on your trike rear end. Have you thought about sticking to cycle paths or shared paths to start with?
Sinner Mango Sport RE
KMX Viper
Trek 350

Old Triker

Postby Old Triker » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:39 pm

Thank you. I am waiting on replies from the US for trike trainers. I haven't found similar trainers available here but would rather buy in Australia. I live halfway up a hill with a gradient of 1 in 10 to 1 in 8. Getting to and from the nearest cycle paths is difficult so training at home suits me best until the miles are in my legs and some aerobic fitness develops

bradwoodbr

Postby bradwoodbr » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:07 am

Chock up your trike safely on woodblocks and use a standard bike trainer
Optima Baron Raptor
Low Racer - Recumbent
http://lowracerrider.blogspot.com/
Rotovelo velomobile

nessbike

Postby nessbike » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:16 am

There was a company at Ausbike last year with a product even though it wasn't marketed as a trike roller would work - I can't seem to find the reference, but someone from Victoria who went through may have a better memory/filing system. Its not actually that difficult to build a simple - limited resistance system. I've built something for someone using a couple of short industrial rollers slotted into a couple of pieces of steel (you could probably use timber). Not pretty, but effective and you can set the roller spacing to suit your wheel size. Unless your trike has a 26 or 700C rear wheel a standard trainer usually won't work (20" wheel usually too small for level of adjustment). There are a couple of commercial trike roller units available offshore, but they come with a pricetag (plus shipping).
I'll keep looking for the reference from last years Ausbike, but it might jog someone elses' memory in the mean time. Cheers Alex