LoGo P-38 Fairing - Std or WGX - Tint?

Recumbents and all feet forward machines

LoGo P-38 Fairing - Std or WGX - Tint?

Postby Aushiker » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:49 pm

Since I am off the bike and not riding for six weeks or there abouts I thought I would take the opportunity to have a serious look into getting a fairing for my LoGo P-38 which is a Lightning P-38 clone.

This is the bike:

I know there are pros and cons about about the value of a fairing but with my riding all summer and a lot of winter into headwinds (my commute is 42 km each way and in summer can be in to headings 50 km/h + coming in straight off the ocean (I ride the exposed coast).

Anyway I am assuming I will need a Classic Two Point mount but my questions relate to the fairing itself: Standard or WGX; tint or no-tint.

With regards to the width I am guessing getting out the tape measure might be the smart move here and going for the fairing width which provides sufficient coverage of the cockpit/riding position. Yes or no or other factors to consider?

Tinting: I ride in all year round in day light and in darkness. In summer it is hot here (46 C on the bike on one ride this summer so far for example), I am exposed to high UV so sun screen is a must, but will the tint help or will the trade-off be significant reduced visibility at night?

I think the tint will look better on the bike but I don't want to trade-off night vision for that. Thoughts?

Regards
Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Aushiker

by BNA » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:46 pm

BNA

Re: LoGo P-38 Fairing - Std or WGX - Tint?

Postby Baalzamon » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:46 pm

Just save up for a mango :)
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810
Baalzamon

Postby just4tehhalibut » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:43 am

Or a P40 (otherwise known as a P38 in full drag).

I'd lean towards an XT fairing as it'll give an aero advantage without making your front end as much unstable in crosswinds. Plus you can mount it so that you're not forced to look through it when riding. However mounting it on your P38 will be difficult, the normal XT mini kit needs more real estate on your boom that I think you can sell.

If you want to see if a GX will mount correctly on your bike come see me, I have the GX and homemade mounts off my trike that we can use to size up your bike, the crucial questions being will it fit and will it block your vision? I don't have the correct mount for you to ride with the fairing but you can at least get a feel for the setup. Then there's how the fairing affects your handling, on that I think that a WGX might be pushing it, okay for a trike or LWB (like that Tour Easy) but SWB not so much. If you have the GX mounted so you're not looking through it then you can also get away with putting a cover over it in place of tinting. Although tint would be nice to have, just that little extra protection.

Another consideration: You will also have to move your lights so that they don't shine on the inside of the fairing, probably the battery pack moved as well. This would mean moving the lights to about handlebar height using bar ends as mounts, there is a light mount that puts the light below and in front of the fairing but this works for LWB.
just4tehhalibut

Postby Aushiker » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:49 pm

just4tehhalibut wrote:I'd lean towards an XT fairing as it'll give an aero advantage without making your front end as much unstable in crosswinds.

By all reports the XT adds no value so I am not going to bother with that.

If you want to see if a GX will mount correctly on your bike come see me, I have the GX and homemade mounts off my trike that we can use to size up your bike, the crucial questions being will it fit and will it block your vision?

That would be great thanks. I am off the bike for probably six weeks so I could load up the bike on the car in a week or so once I have a bit more mobility and come over if that is okay and see how it fits.

Another consideration: You will also have to move your lights so that they don't shine on the inside of the fairing, probably the battery pack moved as well. This would mean moving the lights to about handlebar height using bar ends as mounts, there is a light mount that puts the light below and in front of the fairing but this works for LWB.

That light is going as I have a Luxos U Lumotec IQ to get fitted once I have built up my front wheel. I was thinking of using or making up my own mount similar to the one offered by Terra Cycles.

Regards
Andrew
Aushiker

Postby Riggsbie » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:53 pm

+1 to what Baal said.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Riggsbie

Postby just4tehhalibut » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:42 pm

Had someone comment on the picture of Aushiker's new beast, if he gets a fairing he'll need a kickstand, preferably a double-legged centrestand and steering damper. There'll be no more leaning the bike against bushes or armco rails.
just4tehhalibut

Postby Aushiker » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:40 pm

just4tehhalibut wrote:Had someone comment on the picture of Aushiker's new beast, if he gets a fairing he'll need a kickstand, preferably a double-legged centrestand and steering damper. There'll be no more leaning the bike against bushes or armco rails.

I will see how I go before going down that path ...

Andrew
Aushiker

Return to Recumbents