Try out?

Recumbents and all feet forward machines

Try out?

Postby MM56 » Sat May 17, 2014 10:44 pm

Hello,
I've been riding bikes (& trikes) on-and off for forty years. I ride Audax.
Sadly, I now have severe PNE, which came on suddenly and without warning.
Typically, I feel no pain until 24–48 hours after riding but it can be excruciating once it sets in—up there with kidney stones &c.

Doctors have told me variations of the following:
(i) wait anywhere between 6 and 18 months or perhaps *3* years to find out *if* it fixes itself
(ii) stop cycling and find another sport
(iii) get a recumbent.

I like option (iii).

I used to have a Catrike Speed, so I'm familiar with a laid back position; and I've ridden a two wheel 'bent: it was ten years ago and I can't recall what sort it was, but it was fun. Provisionally, for a number of reasons, I'm now thinking of a 2-wheel high racer 'bent with a well laid back position (apart from anything else: less pressure on backside). Maybe Metaphysic, Optima, or, preferably, an M5 CHR.

However, I'm not prepared to spend until I find out if I can ride a recumbent without worsening my injury.

Is there anyone with one or the other of the above (or something with a similarly laid back seating position) who'd be prepared to let me ride their 'bent so I can check out whether it's going to be possible for me, please? Two or three hours of riding is all I'd need, probably—enough to put some pressure on my a*** and legs. I live in Melbourne, but am prepared to travel 4–5hrs. If you think you can help me, please let me know by PM, I'd be most appreciative.

Thanks for your attention.
Best,
M

PS I've read many discussions about 'bents as Audax bikes &c, both here and on other forums, and think I've got a good idea of the pluses and minuses of the possible options: I'm not looking for a recap.
MM56

by BNA » Thu May 22, 2014 12:09 pm

BNA

Re: Try out?

Postby gannet » Thu May 22, 2014 12:09 pm

As you are in Melbourne, worth getting to Geelong to have a look at a Cruzbike. 2 models, Silvio and Vendetta meet your "... a 2-wheel high racer 'bent with a well laid back position .." requirement. Cruzbiking dot com dot au.
gannet

Postby Riggsbie » Fri May 23, 2014 8:49 am

There is a regular ride from St Kilda by the VicHPV guys.... Again look for VicHPV in yahoo groups....
Riggsbie

Postby stevenurseau » Mon May 26, 2014 5:19 pm

Hi, there is a Melbourne try out ride this Sunday, and details are at https://www.bicyclenetwork.com.au/find/ride/7041/

And I might even make it along this time after being out of Melbourne for a few "1st Sundays" in a row. The turnup is usually pretty good, up to 20 riders including 6 or 7 recumbents.

Regerds

Steve Nurse
stevenurseau

Postby MM56 » Tue May 27, 2014 1:46 pm

Hi Gannet, Zebee, Riggsbie & Steve,
Thank you all for your replies. I'll follow up the clues you've provided. Gannet--thanks for reminding about the Cruzbikes. I'd forgotten about them, probably 'cos of the MBB, but I've since re-read about them and they've moved back onto the list.
Thanks again.
MM56
MM56

Return to Recumbents