Centre Steer / Lean Steer Recumbent

Recumbents and all feet forward machines

Centre Steer / Lean Steer Recumbent

Postby Recycler » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:20 pm

G,Day All, Has anyone got or ridden a Lean Steer recumbent ? Any intrest? Bob.
Recycler

by BNA » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:35 pm

BNA

Re: Centre Steer / Lean Steer Recumbent

Postby just4tehhalibut » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:35 pm

Are you talking about something like the old Flevobike
the Culty rear wheel-steered trike with lean
or the Sidewinder tilting rear steer with added lethality (according to the guy owning the Sidewinder I tried. I agreed.)

Legend is that the Flevobike was only sold from the factory, you'd first get half an hour of instruction from the resident pro rider then off in the carpark yourself. If you both survived and were happy with the bike you could buy one. Nowadays clones proliferate everywhere on Evilbay and life is much shorter for buyers. You can still buy a Culty, I had an email from them two years ago giving a price around 4000 Euros plus shipping and taxes. Sidewinder, probably defunct. If you want to look for other designs find copies of the old EnCYCLEopedia books, a cornucopia of bikes, trikes, tandems, recumbents, folders, interesting new products. I had already paid Greenspeed for an upcoming 2004 edition when Open Road folded up but the website now promises a 2014 print.

Build a Culty, not much welding required just many, many handlebar stems to bolt everything together. And it rides best with a beer crate underneath.

PS I have the 7 EnCYCLEopedias in Perth but on loan to HappyHumber, since he's grown a beard and aerogut and keeps annoying the velomobile thread I thought that he should learn about recumbents, they are his destiny.
just4tehhalibut

Postby Recycler » Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:03 pm

G,Day Just4thalibut, It looks like the old Flevobike, the one i am building will have 20" wheels.
I will be using Shimano 7 speed hub with a coaster brake.
It will have a short wheelbase and low seat height. Photo to come soon. Bob :D
Recycler

Postby HappyHumber » Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:15 pm

You can have those mags back J4tH, if it'll help you spread the scourge of these wierdo contraptions you like to wave your little cocktail flag for.

Can't say I've got the mags out of the bag I took them in. I have enough of my own back log of "to reads" :P That late 70s bike-packing book you nicked as a kid from your public library suits my upright retro-niche a little more aptly. :P
- Kym
Please don't assume I'm on Facebook.
HappyHumber

Postby Recycler » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:56 pm

G,Day j4th, Having a closer look at the old Flevobike it has handle bars. Mine is lean steer only.
Recycler

Return to Recumbents