my first audax ride

gretaboy

my first audax ride

Postby gretaboy » Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:09 am

Achieved my first audax ride on the recumbent yesterday...200k, total distance being 218.

Did the ride with a seasoned audax recumbenteer and his experience was invaluable. I bonked severely with only 4k's to go but luckily had food on board to recharge with. Learnt a lot about myself and what i need to do to keep the body going.

Will do another 200 ride before attempting a 300 audax. Given i cant race anymore i am thinking audax is the way forward for me.

OldBloke

Re: my first audax ride

Postby OldBloke » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:26 am

Congratulations on completing such a big ride. It was good to meet you yesterday.
Sent from my GT-I8750 using Tapatalk

harmonix1234

Postby harmonix1234 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:01 am

Awesome! I am doing my first Audax ride next weekend. Woot!

gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:17 pm

gretaboy wrote:Achieved my first audax ride on the recumbent yesterday...200k, total distance being 218.

Did the ride with a seasoned audax recumbenteer and his experience was invaluable. I bonked severely with only 4k's to go but luckily had food on board to recharge with. Learnt a lot about myself and what i need to do to keep the body going.

Will do another 200 ride before attempting a 300 audax. Given i cant race anymore i am thinking audax is the way forward for me.
Well done Gretaboy- welcome to the Audax and Ultradistance fraternity!!
Here in Australia they are one and the same but in the US they are two different groups.
What a great achievement after your injuries!
Andrew

chuckchunder

Postby chuckchunder » Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:19 pm

gretaboy wrote:Will do another 200 ride before attempting a 300 audax..............
oh oh....... another rider drawn in to the vortex : )
"We have thousands of miles of cycling infrastructure, we just need to get the cars off them....." US advocate

chuckchunder

Postby chuckchunder » Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:22 pm

excellent effort by the way. which ride was it? my audax mantra (for longer rides) is "moving or sleeping". a trike isn't fast, but when you're tired it's really hard to fall off!

cheers
chuck
"We have thousands of miles of cycling infrastructure, we just need to get the cars off them....." US advocate

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:19 am

Chuck...it was the coastline and vineyards of the hunter ride. The trike was great as the only thing sore on my body was the legs but it is a slow way to do it.

Oldbloke...it was great to meet you and your lovely wife also. As soon as i saw the two of you i immediately thought thats going to be the wife and i soon, her trike should arrive at the end of the month.

Andrew, thanks for the encouragement. It wasnt easy and i did feel like giving up at times and thinking im not going to make this but i just gritted the teeth and kept pedalling.

simonn

Postby simonn » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:05 am

Well done!

From Belmont? My inlaws have just moved up to the lake and I was thinking about doing the ride, but, alas, we did not make it up there last weekend. Next time maybe.

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:24 pm

simonn wrote:Well done!

From Belmont? My inlaws have just moved up to the lake and I was thinking about doing the ride, but, alas, we did not make it up there last weekend. Next time maybe.
Thanks Simon...the start of the ride is very close to Belmont and you actually go through the main street. I believe the same ride is on again on the 6th Dec but i wont be doing it myself

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:08 pm

When is your next 200 km ride gretaboy ? Be good if I can find the time to come along
Anything you can do, I can do slower

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:58 pm

find_bruce wrote:When is your next 200 km ride gretaboy ? Be good if I can find the time to come along
Same ride is on again the 27th Dec I believe..not sure if i will do it however...we would be to slow for you bruce :)

Will let you know however when i am planning one, be good to have you join if possible

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:18 am

gretaboy wrote:Same ride is on again the 27th Dec I believe..not sure if i will do it however
Xmas in Melb with the outlaws so 27 Dec is out for me.
gretaboy wrote:we would be to slow for you bruce :)
Yeah sure, heard that before, didn't believe it then either
gretaboy wrote:Will let you know however when i am planning one, be good to have you join if possible
Cool, look forward to it
Anything you can do, I can do slower

simonn

Postby simonn » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:05 am

I did the ride on 27th. Was about to approach a trio of recumbenteers and ask if one of them was gretaboy from the internet, but the ride started and I cowarded out.

Fast ride at 29km/h for 200km. Pretty flat though in Sydney terms - except the odd steeper than it looks climb approaching and leaving Cessnock.

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:13 am

simonn wrote:I did the ride on 27th. Was about to approach a trio of recumbenteers and ask if one of them was gretaboy from the internet, but the ride started and I cowarded out.

Fast ride at 29km/h for 200km. Pretty flat though in Sydney terms - except the odd steeper than it looks climb approaching and leaving Cessnock.
Simon...it was me...with the wife and good friend. Thewife and I were in the bright yellow/green shirts. It would have been nice to meet you.

Next time lol. I am looking at doing another 200 on the 7th feb

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:00 am

Well done GB it's good when you can learn on the job it just makes it better for next time and more enjoyable. Did the other riders envy your comfort :D

Ricky

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:37 pm

}SkOrPn--7 wrote:Well done GB it's good when you can learn on the job it just makes it better for next time and more enjoyable. Did the other riders envy your comfort :D

Ricky
Ricky...they didnt stay around long enough to getenvious :(

Looking like my next 200k audax ride will be done solo so will be even more interesting

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:54 pm

gretaboy wrote:
Ricky...they didnt stay around long enough to getenvious :(

Looking like my next 200k audax ride will be done solo so will be even more interesting
:mrgreen:

I'm a loner myself and even if there is a bunch I'm not too chatty but you will be ok you have already done it. Just pick land marks in the distance that are not too far to achieve then when level select another. Don't select land marks way way in the distance do short hops the clicks will melt away and before you know it your finished.

Ricky