Popular Bike Shops
Join the Cycling Forums on Strava
Australian Cycling Forums on Strava
Latest Reviews and Articles
Will your next bike be Intelligent? ABS and Smart Bike Tech
Vitus Vitesse EVO Disc Review – Speed Machine indeed!
- Posts: 414
- Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:12 pm
- Location: Perth Western Australia
What experiences or advice can you give about the different SWB recumbents and Trikes. Low, medium or high for time trialling and audax?
What are the advantages to each?
I am thinking of upgrading and don't know which way to go yet.
Thanks in advance
- Posts: 387
- Joined: Wed May 21, 2008 7:04 pm
- Location: Coffs Harbour
The weight of a trike would be in the same territory as your beautiful M5 shockproof, or even heavier for some models. You will be disappointed with trike if speed is what you are after. So you can scratch that off your list.
I have a Greenspeed trike and no way it can match my swb low racer in speed. My low racer is also on the heavy side (approx 14kg). I will be receiving my M5 Carbon High Racer soon and would be able to compare the two. I am sure the M5 would be faster uphill as it is much lighter than my low racer. The low racer does give me very sweet, fast and comfortable ride.
In general, high racers would be better than low racers in hilly terrains. If there are a lot of sharp turnings in the course, low racer with a dropped chain would be at a disadvantage due to steering lock.
Hope that help.
- Super Mod
- Posts: 9653
- Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 5:21 pm
- Location: Success, WA
I like the format because
* the larger wheels have a lower rolling resistance than small wheels
* it's possible to make them quite light without being overly expensive (Corsa SS is about 10.5kg stock and about $4000)
* higher seating position means there is no need for a flag (less wind resistance and lower dork factor )
Low-racers are better into headwinds because they take advantage of the lower wind speed at less than one metre (boundary layer effect).
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....
- General Australian Cycling Topics
- Info / announcements
- Buying a bike / parts
- General Cycling Discussion
- The Bike Shed
- Cycling Health
- Cycling Safety and Advocacy
- Women's Cycling
- Bike & Gear Reviews
- Cycling Trade
- Stolen Bikes
- Bicycle FAQs
- Serious Biking
- Audax / Randonneuring
- Retro biking
- Fixed Gear/ Single Speed
- Electric Bicycles
- Dragsters / Lowriders / Cruisers
- Children's Bikes
- Road Racing
- Road Biking
- Time Trial
- International and National Tours and Events
- Cycle Touring
- Touring Australia
- Touring Overseas
- Touring Bikes and Equipment
- Western Australia
- New South Wales
- South Australia
- Northern Territory
- Country & Regional
- The Market Place
- Member to Member Bike and Gear Sales
- Want to Buy, Group Buy, Swap
- My Bikes or Gear Elsewhere
- Cycling Brands
- Malvern Star
- Custom Builders
- Generic Carbon
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users
About the Australian Cycling Forums
The largest cycling discussion forum in Australia for all things bike; from new riders to seasoned bike nuts, the Australian Cycling Forums are a welcoming community where you can ask questions and talk about the type of bikes and cycling topics you like.