BIKE CARRIER

RogerTully

Bacchetta Seat

Postby RogerTully » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:30 am

Harry,
How much was the bacchetta seat? It's an American product isn't it? They would be pretty exy now the $AU is so low.
I've been commuting to Mission Beach this past fortnihgt for work which gives me a 50k return trip. The weather has been very hot and humid wich makes riding after 8am and before 4pm uncomfortable. It started to rain yesterday so the carbon footprint expands.
rt

Uba Tracker

Postby Uba Tracker » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:45 pm

Hi Roger, from memory I think the seat cost $300, but as you rightly pointed out that was when the Aussie dollar was nearing 95 US cents. That said even at $500 I would still consider the upgrade worthwhile. I bought mine from Ian at FF, I have heard that buying direct from Bacchetta is difficult, plus the freight bill out of the US would be frightening. I did a rough comparo of prices and found FF to be quite competitive, you could also drop Craig Meyn at Just Bents in WA a line and chase up a price on a Rans seat which is almost identical to the Bacchetta.

cheers

Harry
A bad day's riding beats a good day's work everytime

raptordesigns

Postby raptordesigns » Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:52 am

I ended up making my own seat:

I still have the mould and can make more. (well, someone makes them for me, actually).

It's suitable for laid-back recumbent cycles with seat angles up to 40 degrees. For riders 170-190cm in height.

Unlike most of the euroseats which have narrow bum areas, it has a "bucket seat" construction as well as lumbar support and side "wings" for comfort and retention. The all-fibreglass version weighs 1kg

email: raptordesigns@optusnet.com.au

Freddyflatfoot

Postby Freddyflatfoot » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:14 am

John, you might've opened a can'o'worms here!
I can 'see' that seat on all of my bikes/trikes! Looks much better (and lighter!) than my plywood/steel braced creations.
The nose angle looks nice and sharp, I've been having some trouble getting the right shape for my Hurricane clone.
I'll send you an e-mail.
Cheers!
Rob
---------------------------------------------------
Homebuilt trike, with electric assist
26"/20" trike, "Goanna"
SWB recumbent, 700C/451 , "Kookaburra", homebuilt.
FWD project (Cyclone).
Optima Raptor

raptordesigns

Postby raptordesigns » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:53 am

I should add that I generally use this seat with a single layer of Venti-sit (ACS10) padding.

For extra ventilation, it's possible to cut some small holes in the flat areas to improve air flow to the back.