2 inches too short

Recumbents and all feet forward machines

2 inches too short

Postby Low Racer » Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:41 pm

Hi guys,
Just re-read the M5 spec again and I am unfortunately 2 inches shorter than the recommended minimum of 33 inches Inseam with a 650c front wheel. I thought the measurement was similar to x-seam which I am approx 40 inches.

I am worry now that I might not be able to reach the pedals. Might have to saw off 2 inches of the boom to accomodate my short legs.

Low Racer

by BNA » Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:12 pm

Postby Kalgrm » Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:12 pm

Don't give up hope Chong. If it turns out you have trouble, your first step should be to find short cranks (~150mm). That will immediately give you 1", combined with better spinning and power output. (Flame suit on for the uninitiated in these discussions re 'bents and crank lengths ... ;))

The next step I'd try would be extra padding under the cushion to effectively push you forward. You could get another inch that way.

Think outside the double triangle.
Imagine a world with no hypothetical scenarios.

Postby Low Racer » Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:57 pm

Hi Graeme,
The shorter cranks was my first thought. Didn't think of the padding. I will know when it is here by end of this week (hopefully).

Low Racer

Postby bradwoodbr » Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:19 am

I use 150mm cranks and they do give better power output but at a higher cadence. They will certainly reduce front wheel and foot overlap. Check handlebar and stem length adjustments as well. I am sure Ian Humphries will have pretty good advice for you. Cheers

Return to Recumbents