Velomobile - what and why

zebee

Velomobile - what and why

Postby zebee » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:54 am

So I have new bike fever.

When I was heavily into motorcycles this tended to result in another bit of Elderly Italiana taking up residence, these days it looks like it might be another 'bent.

I'm talking to Ian Sims at Greenspeed about a couple of new models he is prototypeing but I am also thinking about a Velo.

Not hugely seriously thinking cos a) I have no room and b) my commute has rather a bit of verticality, but thinking...

Problem I have is I'm a shortarse and it seems every velo on the market is made for people who are taller than I am. The top of the seat on the Encore is halfway up the back of my head, look at your velo seat and see the problem.

Are there any small sized velos out there?

People who have velos, does facing another hill make you go elsewhere? I don't think there is any easy way to get up to Macquarie park from the river, just slightly less horrid ways but I dunno I'd ride 35kg of velo compared to 10kg of carbon stick bike up them.

Bargo

Re: Velomobile - what and why

Postby Bargo » Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:28 pm

Zeebee, I have a Trisled Rotovelo and it is great. I commute almost every week day in it, and face a reasonably large hill each way. The trick is to gear down and spin the pedals and grind up it at about 12 km/hr. I am faster over the commute by about 15-20% over my previous bikes (both DF and 2 wheel bent) as I am so much faster on the flat and downhill. I loaded up my two wheel bent with 20 kg of sand bags to get a feel for the extra weight going up the hill and it is not as bad as I (and most people) would think. I weigh in at about 100kgs, so the extra weight is somewhat) small percentage of the total system weight. I had not riden a trile before getting the RV, but I love the three wheel concept having fallen off in the wet twice last year, I am enjoying the stability of the Velo compared to two wheels. Depending on where you are located, you might be able to find one to sit in. I am in Perth, but I think you are on the eastern side of the West island, maybe someone else can help you out. There are specific small versions of some of the Euro velos but they are quite a bit more to land in Australia than a RV. you might be surprised about the fit, as once the boom is set up for your legs, I think you would be able to see out of the RV quite well.

Hope this helps

zebee

Postby zebee » Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:23 am

Bargo,

I took a look at Recumbenteer's Green Jellybean before its sad demise and no way would I be able to see out! Nor would the trike fit me without the boom being cut way back and maybe not even then.

I don't get up to 12km/h on That Bastard Hill on my old Giro with a commuting load on (haven't tried it on the Encore) so dunno I'd do it on a Velo. Walkers could beat me up that hill. I have been pondering a trike for touring so I can get up hills without falling over.

geebee

Postby geebee » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:57 pm

Electric assist? the crank drive ones are impressive and there is a lighter weight one due out very shortly.
The other option is to but a trike and build a velo shell out of aluminium pipe and corflute, I have built 2 previously very light weight 2 to 3 kg for complete shell and frame, speed difference is massive on the flat, down hill or best of all rolling hills :) penalty uphill is minor due to the small weight increase.

zebee

Postby zebee » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:36 am

Using the ally pipe as the frame?

Got any pics?

I presume the you make a wedge shape for the nose and then a wedge at the back?

geebee

Postby geebee » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:09 am

I will see if I can find the pics of my first one, this is number 2 you should be able to step through the entire build sequence, (If it doesn't work let me know flickr has changed) with a PVC frame, easier to work with and had no breakages and I abused it :)
The speed difference a shell makes is amazing, everyone should at least try one at some stage, the plus side of building your own is that my toe to shell clearance was sub 1cm over the pedals thus allowing a lower nose and better view.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/23600382@ ... ed-public/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

zebee

Postby zebee » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:05 pm

The first photo confused me but the rest make it clear. If only I had the skills!