M5 CHR here!!!!!!

Recumbents and all feet forward machines

M5 CHR here!!!!!!

Postby Low Racer » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:14 pm

Hi guys,
The bike turned up today at 2pm. Was at work when wife rang to tell me the good news. The next 2.5 hours were long..... thought of faking a sicky :wink:

Checked the box for any signs of damage and was very happy that the bike box had withstood the journey. The bike was dismantled and well packed - credit to Ian at FF. The bike must have been there for a while as the frame was a bit dusty.

Took me over an hour to assemble the bike together and tuned the FD and RD. I decided to drop the chain, just like my LR, as I didn't like the chain tube on the returned chain side. Can't back pedal with the chain tube in placed as the chain would come off the chain ring. Dropping the returned chain solved it. This bike is very light.

I can reach the pedals ok. A shorter cranks might be better though as the boom is pushed all the way in. I took it for a short spin in the dark and it rides just like my low racer except higher. The steering is very twitchy compare to the LR. The bike is all set up for commuting and will ride in to work tomorrow. I think I will wake up early tomorrow and put in maybe an hour ride before heading to work.

Regards

Chong
Low Racer

by BNA » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:30 pm

BNA

Postby bradwoodbr » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:30 pm

Way to go Chong.
What turning tricks do you use to do tight turns with the dropped chain?

Cheers
Brad
bradwoodbr

Postby vonhazza » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:00 pm

Hi Chong great to here you have your bike at last, any word from Ian as to the delay?

How's the bike on the road you must have 100k's up by now.
Steve Cruzbike FWD.
vonhazza

M5 CHR here!!!!!!

Postby Low Racer » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:56 pm

Hi guys,
The dropped chain doesn't bother me on my usual route as I am used to it with my low racer. Infact, the HR is much easier to turn than the LR. On the LR, the wheel hits the drive chain and the returned chain. Whereas the HR, the front wheel only hits the returned chain.

The bike is very light and accelerate very nicely, slightly better than the LR. Haven't taken it to the usual hills yet but seems to climb very well even in high gears. The front chain ring is a biggy - 56T. Can really crank some serious speed with a 56 - 11.

The brakes caliper are those of Bram M5 brakes. Beauty. The front brake has only a mm of clearance from the tyre when braking. It was rubbing on tyre at one point. Some adjustment and tinkering seems to resolved that. The brakes are not as good as discs.

I have not installed a bike computer yet and not sure how fast I was going this morning. The ride is very similar to the LR at fast speed i.e. the wind rush. I feel I can maintain high speed easier on the HR before tiring out.

Off to Sydney tomorrow for conference. Gonna miss the M5 (and of course the family too :wink: ) Catch up with you guys later.

Chong
Low Racer

Return to Recumbents