B+M Luxos U headlight now better for recumbents

just4tehhalibut

B+M Luxos U headlight now better for recumbents

Postby just4tehhalibut » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:26 am

The Luxos U headlight came out in 2013 and was brilliant, a bright light, sidelighting, adjusted lighting for cornering speed, a remote that allowed a high beam and USB recharge. Only problem was that the remote supplied was only 54cm long, not recumbent-friendly. And adjusting the length via soldering iron would void the warranty, something I'm not keen because of personal experience. There was a version with a 160cm remote lead but that was only available in the US (and apparently through Peter White Cycles who wouldn't sell it to Australia). I've just noticed that this 160cm version is finally being sold in Europe and shows on the Bike24 and Rose Versand webshops. Same price as the plain ordinary Luxos U.

160cm is enough for the headlight to hang out in front of the boom and the remote stretch back to attach to the handlebars on my Bacchetta SWB, I'm shopping.

just4tehhalibut

Re: B+M Luxos U headlight now better for recumbents

Postby just4tehhalibut » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:42 pm

Having just received this headlight I now realise that this is B+M's version III or IV of the headlight, the remote, USB port and wiring from the headlight is different again from the two previous Luxos U that I've bought.
The remote no longer has a flap to access the USB port, instead there's a cable running to a plug and then a USB socket. This socket can be unplugged and there's a weather cover for the female end of the plug if you do. So a little bulkier than before but you can pack away the USB socket when not needed to hang off the remote and handlebars.
The headlight still has those two pairs of spade connectors on the back, one for the wiring from the hub, the other for power to the taillight. But they've also wired in the standard double-core wire for the hub, it leaves the headlight body from just above one of those spades, looks a little shoddy.
There's still the mount underneath for a reflector but none in the package.

Methinks that they've done yet another redesign due to people complaining about water issues or snapping the connectors. Pity that when they made all these changes they also didn't up the light to 100 Lux like their newest model. Maybe that's version V?