Rear wheel braking on a Recumbent

Recumbents and all feet forward machines

Rear wheel braking on a Recumbent

Postby vonhazza » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:16 pm

Hi all I read somwhere in this Forum a couple of people discussing how easy it is to lock up the back brake of a Recumbent.

I must say I have had a couple of interesting moments myself on my Cruzbike and have learned to treat my back brake with the same respect due to the front brake on my MTB.

A recent problem with my suspention fork has forced me to fit a rigid fork until I can find a decent replacement,
Despite my fears this has had some positive results, a lower seat hight and with now rear suspention only a back brake that does not lock up or slide out under heavy braking.
Drawbacks are traction not as good climbing hills and fillings bouncing out on those wooden bridges they put on bike paths.

I would be interested any other thoughts on braking issues and types of Recumbent.
Steve Cruzbike FWD.
vonhazza

by BNA » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:43 pm

BNA

Postby bradwoodbr » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:43 pm

I rode a Cruzbike before my current recumbent and they are a great bike.

If you are experiencing brake lock up your weight blance may be too towards the front. What is yours set at? They ideal is 55% front, 45% rear.

A couple of tips.
When going over bumpy bridges, ease your body weight off the seat back and your eyeballs won't bounce as much.

When braking medium to hard, apply the rear brake just after you have applied the front brake. You may avoid rear wheel lockup.

Rear wheel sliding is great fun, especially on a recumbent.
Induce a rear wheel slide by braking and as the speed comes down, release the brake, steer straight and keep pedalling. :)
Optima Baron Raptor
Low Racer - Recumbent
http://lowracerrider.blogspot.com/
bradwoodbr

Postby vonhazza » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:45 am

bradwoodbr wrote:I rode a Cruzbike before my current recumbent and they are a great bike.

If you are experiencing brake lock up your weight blance may be too towards the front. What is yours set at? They ideal is 55% front, 45% rear.

A couple of tips.
When going over bumpy bridges, ease your body weight off the seat back and your eyeballs won't bounce as much.

When braking medium to hard, apply the rear brake just after you have applied the front brake. You may avoid rear wheel lockup.

Rear wheel sliding is great fun, especially on a recumbent.
Induce a rear wheel slide by braking and as the speed comes down, release the brake, steer straight and keep pedalling. :)

Hi Brad thanks for the input.
The weight balance is about right I just found it interesting that the brake has improved so much now the front does not dive under braking.
I shall make a point of lifting my back off the seat on bumpy bridges, it was just not an issue with front suspension.
Steve Cruzbike FWD.
vonhazza

Postby Kalgrm » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:12 am

Maybe it's because you're so low that you enjoy the rear wheel skids, Brad. Personally, I live in fear of them on corners - when I'm not turning I can skid without trepidation.

Different story on the MTB though - there I can stand, move the body around off the bike and control the skid with ease. Being stuck in the seat on the 'bent during a skid is scary.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------------------------
My web site: www.scenebyhird.com
---------------------------------------
The Bicycle Transportation Alliance
Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Return to Recumbents