buying my first recumbent

Recumbents and all feet forward machines

buying my first recumbent

Postby obakesan » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:08 pm

Hi

I'm seriously considering buying a recumbent so that I can commute to work on it (probably about 10km each way). However despite following recumbent discussions since about 1996 and keeping an eye on the changes in stuff (mainly greenspeed and now Terra Trikes) I still have not ever had my arse on one.

Riding back home last night (MTB no suspension) while thinking about the bent I found myself tugging up the front wheel as I moved from street to foot path (not over the gutter ;-) as there was not a smooth transition from one level to the next (about a 2cm edge more or less).

This got me to thinking about how a recumbent would feel and how 'bumpy a ride' it might be. Having done some "carting" in the past I can say that it upsets my neck due to it being too bumpy and sitting back looking forward.

Since these things have no 'suspension' how will this sort of road
irregularity feel? Jarring?

Next I'd like to know about cornering. I've been told that they corner much better than 'diamond back' bicycles. Where I'll be riding has a mixture of short but steep downhills with 90deg corners (although the cycle path is wide so I can easily negotiate if I slow down :-). When these are slippery will the recumbent be significantly advantaged?

Lastly hils ... I've heard that (and it makes sence) that I just won't be able to put pressure on the pedals like I can on the diamond back for short stints up hills.

Sorry about the long ish post, but if I'm going to pop $1500 or more on a recumbent I'd better bloody like it ;-)

:-)
obakesan

by BNA » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:35 pm

BNA

Postby Kalgrm » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:35 pm

G'day obakesan,

Welcome to the forum.

Firstly, let me say that "recumbent" describes the body position and there are both trikes and bikes in the recumbent style. If you are referring to trikes, you'd better get into the habit of using the word trike rather than recumbent.

Having said that, both a trikes and bikes will jar on a 2cm bump. You can't lift the front wheel like you can on a diamond frame, so you need to sort of "arch your back" and coast over the sharp bumps. That may indeed hurt your neck, but you can fit a head rest to many 'bents if that helps.

I don't think I'd agree 100% about the steering. Yes, you're lower and the base is wide, but it's still possible to flip them if you're not careful. You can still slide them too, since under extreme steering forces, you only have two tyres doing the gripping, same as any bike.

Hills - well, it depends on the rider, but you can definitely exert plenty of force through the pedals if you want. However, most riders of trikes aren't trying to break any speed records up the hills (different story on the other side though! :lol: ). Trikes can climb any hill a DF bike can ride up, and perhaps even steeper ones. There is no minimum speed on a trike because you can't fall off. So low gearing is employed and the rider just grinds up the hill, maybe stopping for a sandwich on the way, without ever needing to unclip. A word of warning though - trikes may be heavy, so no matter what, you won't be going fast up hills.

Anyway, I'm guessing that you're in Victoria*, so why don't you ring Trisled or Greenspeed and ask if they have any demo units that you can try out before you buy? Perhaps one of the Victorian members will also offer to let you try out a trike of theirs?

Cheers,
Graeme

(* It seems to be a Victorian trait to assume recumbents are all trikes)
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------------------------
My web site: www.scenebyhird.com
The Bicycle Transportation Alliance
Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Freddyflatfoot » Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:06 pm

G'day obakesan,
Trikes can be suspended, but not for $1500! Although you might be able to buy one with rear suspension, that might help soak up some of the bumps.
A hard shell seat will give a harsher ride, but if you had a Greenspeed with mesh seat and elastic ties, then the ride will be more compliant.
If you went for a two wheeled recumbent, then these can be purchased with front and rear suspension.
If you really wanted a fully suspended trike, the HP Velotechnik, have just released a fully suspended trike.
http://www.hpvelotechnik.com/presse/sco ... 009_e.html
Most trike riders rely on using varying air pressure to help the ride to be more compliant, rather than the added weight/expense of a suspended system.
What would you rather ride? A trike, or a bike?
If you are in Victoria, the local Melb HPV group has a monthly 'bent try day on Sundays, I think in Port Melbourne.
Let us know where you are, and maybe we can get your a*** into a bent!
Cheers!
Rob
---------------------------------------------------
Homebuilt trike, with electric assist
26"/20" trike, "Goanna"
SWB recumbent, 700C/451 , "Kookaburra", homebuilt.
FWD project (Cyclone).
Optima Raptor
Freddyflatfoot

nomenclature change -> trike

Postby obakesan » Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:37 pm

Folks

thanks for the responces. I do indeed mean a trike.

To set the record more clearly straight while I'm an Aussie, I'm presently living in Finland for at least a little while (or so it seems). I normally commute by regular diamond back in Australia (south east qld) but after the last winter and a few icy slick come-offs I'm wondering if I might not enjoy the whole winter wonder land (and the excellent cycle paths here) on a trike.

I'm also thinking (unsure of the possiblity) of putting brushless DC motor wheels on the front to make a 3 wheel drive (this snow stuff can be annoying as an obstacle retarding my path)

Thanks for the pointers :-)
obakesan

Re: nomenclature change -> trike

Postby Freddyflatfoot » Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:09 am

obakesan wrote:Folks

thanks for the responces. I do indeed mean a trike.

To set the record more clearly straight while I'm an Aussie, I'm presently living in Finland for at least a little while (or so it seems). I normally commute by regular diamond back in Australia (south east qld) but after the last winter and a few icy slick come-offs I'm wondering if I might not enjoy the whole winter wonder land (and the excellent cycle paths here) on a trike.

I'm also thinking (unsure of the possiblity) of putting brushless DC motor wheels on the front to make a 3 wheel drive (this snow stuff can be annoying as an obstacle retarding my path)

Thanks for the pointers :-)

I think you will find that adding electric motors to the front wheels would be nearly impossible. That is because just about every trike uses stub axle mounted front wheels, and hub motors are designed to be secured within a fork.
Having said that, the first trike I built used BMX forks, cut down to make strirrups, so conceivably you could add hub motors to that type of setup. You would also run into other difficulties that I wont go into here.
There are other options you could use for the snow, such as a rear hub motor, and a studded off road tyre (Nokian?).
I have also seen a track drive added to the rear of a MTB, that might also be adapted. Not sure of the manufacturer of that one!
A guy in Canada races ice trikes, and he substitutes the front wheels with skids, so that is another option.
His website is www.fleettrikes.com
Cheers!
Rob
26"/20" trike, "Goanna"
FWD project (Cyclone).
Optima Raptor
Freddyflatfoot

Postby Kalgrm » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:36 am

Or you could go with the ultimate snow trike.

I don't think it comes with the kid attached though .... :)

Cheers,
Graeme
Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Freddyflatfoot » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:37 pm

Thanks Graeme! That looks similar to what I was thinking!
Actually looked it up after I posted, and the system is called KTraK, and looks like it would easily adapt to a trike, especially if they release it in a 20" version!
Here's the link,
https://www.ktrakcycle.com/index.html
Cheers!
Rob
26"/20" trike, "Goanna"
FWD project (Cyclone).
Optima Raptor
Freddyflatfoot

Postby griffo1962 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:48 am

I do indeed mean a trike. :-)

must have something to do with Greenspeed being from there.... :roll:
griffo1962

Postby Freddyflatfoot » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:56 pm

griffo1962 wrote:

I do indeed mean a trike. :-)

must have something to do with Greenspeed being from there.... :roll:

And TriSled, and MR Components, and several other smaller manufacturers!
Cheers!
Rob
26"/20" trike, "Goanna"
FWD project (Cyclone).
Optima Raptor
Freddyflatfoot

Postby obakesan » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:44 am

Kalgrm wrote:Or you could go with the (your U R L deleted because of spam maniac system).

I don't think it comes with the kid attached though .... :)

very cool stuff

I had just spent time to construct a reply to this and got the cold shoulder from the 'system'

(pardon me, but just how annoying is this system? it keeps preventing me from posting this )

anyway ... I have a mad mate here how does stuff like this

(oh for goodness sake I just can't post this!! even with your quote!)

Photos posted by Graeme

Go here for further information and closer views.
obakesan

Postby Kalgrm » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:02 am

Yeah, I know it can be annoying, but it keeps us free of spam. It's only in effect for the first 10 days ...

PM me the information and I'll post it for you.

Cheers,
Graeme
Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby DaveW » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:34 am

Now just how cool is that KTrac?

With the front wheel in place (like the second video) it would kill at Wedge Island! I wonder if you would get an advantage from a freewheeling one on the front?
Bottecchia 803 Flat bar roadie.

I'm not a complete idiot - parts of me are missing!

DaveW

Return to Recumbents