Recumbent Yes or No

bradwoodbr

Recumbent Yes or No

Postby bradwoodbr » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:28 am

I test road a trike with pedal electric assist the other day down at ebikes r us at E shed Fremantle.

Comfortable, tight turning circle, great reverse gear and electric assist.
However, I was wondering if it is a genuine recumbent trike or just a trike?

Full details at:
http://www.e-bikesrus.com.au/products/scooter-trike/
Optima Baron Raptor
Low Racer - Recumbent
http://lowracerrider.blogspot.com/
Rotovelo velomobile

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Recumbent Yes or No

Postby Kalgrm » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:18 am

I don't know the answer, but if you liked it, does it matter?

Personally, I'd be worried about stability in a fast corner.

Cheers
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

zebee

Postby zebee » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:07 pm

If it was a 2 wheeler it would be called a Long Wheelbase Low Bottom Bracket such as the various easy racers http://www.easyracers.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As a commuter and tourer I can see no issue with it. It is high, but so is the Greenspeed Anura and no one considers that unstable at speed.

OldBloke

Postby OldBloke » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:36 pm

I've always thought that a delta trike would have to be easier to tip under brakes in an off-camber corner. I would be interested to hear of people's experience of its stability in that situation. I know of one lady who ended up trading in her Kettwiesel delta for a tadpole trike after she came off it one too many times

OB

If I'm wrong blame Tapatalk.

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:34 pm

I have ridden one of these belonging to a friend not long ago.
It scared the daylights out of me. Up on two wheels the first turn.
I found I had to slow way down to near walking pace before turning to be safe.
The problem is the high C of G.
Ok if you just want to putter around I guess.

John

zebee

Postby zebee » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:28 am

There's some discussion of delta vs tadpole here http://www.bentrideronline.com/messageb ... p?t=123041" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; check page 3 for some discussion of stability.

Sports car vs sedan it looks like. You can go round corners faster on a tadpole, it may not be what you want the bike for. Given it's an electric bent I don't think speed around corners is the point.

BNAPoe

Postby BNAPoe » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:32 pm

zebee wrote:but so is the Greenspeed Anura and no one considers that unstable at speed.
My 2 cents. I have owned a GS Anura with 16" wheels and own a Hase delta-style Chinese copy with 20" wheels. The GS is a great trike to ride at slower speeds. Very, very comfortable. I would not go around corners at any great speed on the GS. It easily tips over. The Hase copy on the other hand is completely different due to the weight rearward and possibly slightly lower between the rear wheels. You can slide the rear end out on almost any surface with ease ... intentionally I mean, without tipping over. See videos on YouTube with them.
I also own a tadpole trike. These are more stable again. Also very comfortable. The delta style is easier to get on and off. The GS uses this as a selling point for the Anura.
I like both the delta and tadpole styles ... but only get the Anura if you don't intend to go fast around corners. Otherwise it's a fine trike.

Edit: Be aware that on delta style trikes with rear derailleurs (not internally geared hubs), the derailleur is very vulnerable to damage sitting low and unprotected. Fine on smooth paths, no so fine going over irregular surfaces, crossing from footpath or driveway to road/path etc.. Particularly with 16" wheels, they sit even lower to the ground. Look at the GS Anura pics on the net. A tadpole style trike's derailleur sits beside the wheel like most conventional bikes. Protected somewhat by the wheel. Something to consider.

zebee

Postby zebee » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:10 am

BNAPoe wrote:
.. but only get the Anura if you don't intend to go fast around corners. Otherwise it's a fine trike.

I sit corrected....

However I still think that the electric trike is not about speed but about ease of use. Mind you, if the electric has you doing 20kmh without effort then you have to remember to slow down for corners. Car drivers do it (as this motorcyclist knows and is frustrated by, they get in the way!) so I guess electric trike pilots can too.

Zebee

geebee

Postby geebee » Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:47 pm

As long as you are not into cornering hard and realise you have to ride within there capability they are ok.
Having ridden a delta and tadpole both with 5" seat to ground clearance a non tilting delta is not in the race for performance.
The OP's trike picture looks scary and is probably aimed at the off to the shops type rider but I would call it a recumbent or at least a semi recumbent.

geebee

Postby geebee » Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:13 pm

OldBloke wrote:I've always thought that a delta trike would have to be easier to tip under brakes in an off-camber corner. I would be interested to hear of people's experience of its stability in that situation. I know of one lady who ended up trading in her Kettwiesel delta for a tadpole trike after she came off it one too many times

OB

If I'm wrong blame Tapatalk.
Basically a delta is easier to flip when turning full stop, if you brake weight and stability moves forward to the single front wheel thus turning whilst baking is not a good idea either it doesn't need an off camber corner to help.
A tadpole under brakes actually increases stability for the same reason, as weight moves forward under brakes stability increases due to the 2 front wheels.

zebee

Postby zebee » Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:03 am

note it uses a coaster brake. This is definitely a shopping trolley and gentle short trip bike. Would be a good car substitute for an elderly person who lives a couple of km away from the post office or the shops and finds driving a bit stressful. Or add a kiddy trailer and it would work really nicely for a new parent in a single car family who just wants to get out of the house and get the shopping done. Which is something a friend of mine did using a tadpole with capsule and then kid seat on the rack. She found the getting in and out hard work some days (new mothers will understand...) but the abilliy to just get out of the bloody house was vital to her well being. She'd probably have loved something like this.

chuckchunder

Postby chuckchunder » Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:59 pm

gahh...... don't do it Brad, you're still a young man!! I'll sell you the Steintrike cheap and you can stick a 'lectric motor in the rear hub, it'll go like a hot yoot.....
"We have thousands of miles of cycling infrastructure, we just need to get the cars off them....." US advocate