The anti-recumbent? The Bird of Prey

Cheesewheel

The anti-recumbent? The Bird of Prey

Postby Cheesewheel » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:37 pm

Or maybe they could be categorized as bumbents?

Seems to have better transfer of power, higher cadence and aerodynamics than a recumbent. It would also allow you to go quicker in to roundabouts and intersections since you have a better field of vision for upcoming obstacles. Also you wouldn't get such a sunburnt face 8) . Not sure how it would hold up to body pain during long distance rides.
At the very least, guaranteed to attract more shrieking wails from the general public than your regular recumbent.
Go!Run!GAH!

biker jk

Re: The anti-recumbent? The Bird of Prey

Postby biker jk » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:14 pm

Overlapping wheels on the drive side could get real interesting. :lol:

zebee

Postby zebee » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:16 pm

Dunno about better field of vision. Only this with a brocen neck.... Worse crick in the neck than a roadie on the drops.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:35 pm

zebee wrote:Dunno about better field of vision. Only this with a broken neck.... Worse crick in the neck than a roadie on the drops.
This. I thought surfing was bad for a cricked neck until I started riding. And then I thought the MTB was bad until I started on the roadie. And then I got a little more used to that and it doesn't bother me so much. I can't see that being comfortable for very long.

I don't think the aerodynamics would be so good for handling on the high speed descents either. That aero body position will become a lifting body, with consequent effects on traction.

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:50 pm

Obviously not a goer for an aerogut aficionado but it opens up the whole new field of aerobum research.

For instance would strapping on a rear spoiler to the aerobum increase aerodynamics?
Or do I need wings to keep the front wheel down?

grantw

Postby grantw » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:08 am

I'd be worried about certain parts coming into contact with the rear wheel and becoming forever lost.

kb

Postby kb » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:31 am

grantw wrote:I'd be worried about certain parts coming into contact with the rear wheel and becoming forever lost.
Not the bike for the WNBR.

zebee

Postby zebee » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:27 am

grantw wrote:I'd be worried about certain parts coming into contact with the rear wheel and becoming forever lost.
If your certain parts can come into contact with the wheel there's a future for you in movies. (And I'm surprised you can walk down the street without fainting from loss of blood to the head every time you pass an attractive member of the appropriate sex.)

Philh68

Postby Philh68 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:44 pm

And I thought the planking craze was done. If it didn't work for Graeme Obree, what hope have the rest of us got? Not to mention magpie season could get real painful.

kencumbent

Postby kencumbent » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:14 am

Best thing about this bike is the extra speed you get after eatuing beans :)

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:23 pm

Looks like you don't need a special recumbent'ish frame to reap the aero benefits ..although if the advertisement is to be believed, you do need a fixie

full film here
Go!Run!GAH!