G Druery Pre-Romac 500km ride at Coffs

Low Racer

G Druery Pre-Romac 500km ride at Coffs

Postby Low Racer » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:22 pm

Hi guys,
What a blast riding with Glenn this morning at the pre-ROMAC ride. It is a charity 500km in 24 hours ride, raising money for sick children from developing countries to obtain medical care in Australia. Glenn is on his Nocom and I am on my M5 CHR. You can see it on YT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wib_G_Ty5A

Regards

Chong

Leigh_caines

Postby Leigh_caines » Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:07 am

Yesterday I spent 6 hours watching the 2 low recumbents going around and around....now you'd think that would get boreing but it wasn't :)
I meet Chong in one of his off the track moments.... a good guy and doing well on his new bike.
So the only trouble is.... now I have to build a low racer :roll:

Low Racer

Postby Low Racer » Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:37 am

Hi Leigh,
It was great catching up with you and Bob (aka Recycler). My right knee finally gave up at 8pm. I did 265km in 8:30 hours. Glenn's knee started to play up too and he stopped around midnight. He did approx 350km.

Surprisingly I get some draft off his NoCom.

Regards
Chong
Last edited by Low Racer on Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

Leigh_caines

Postby Leigh_caines » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:43 am

Nice going Chong :)
I did think you needed more then a week on your new bike before going for 500ks...
Maybe next year we should enter as a 'team'...like 2hours on and 2 off each or ??....
Maybe...
First I'd best get into building a low racer...

Low Racer

Postby Low Racer » Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:59 pm

Leigh, I will take you on the offer of the Low Racer Team next year. That will be great. Being solo was tough at that distance. By the way, the low racer is not the new bike. I didn't use the M5 precisely as you said - I haven't had enough time on it yet. I have to build some sort of head rest for next year. My neck was starting to get a little sore 6 hours into the ride.

Regards

Chong

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:18 pm

Leigh_caines wrote: So the only trouble is.... now I have to build a low racer :roll:
Me too!

Great effort Chong. I don't think I'll ever be up to those times and distances sad to say.

John Lewis

Arcabike

Postby Arcabike » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:58 pm

Hi Chong and Leigh,
I am interested to know how fast Glenn was going on his No Com.Do you know his top speeds and did he beat the DF riders in any sprints?Did he stay with the bunch or did he go hard? And what was the RAAM talk like?

Cheers
AB

Low Racer

Postby Low Racer » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:38 pm

Arcabike wrote:Hi Chong and Leigh,
I am interested to know how fast Glenn was going on his No Com.Do you know his top speeds and did he beat the DF riders in any sprints?Did he stay with the bunch or did he go hard? And what was the RAAM talk like?

Cheers
AB
Hi AB,
There were some DF rookies doing the sprint towards the evening and Glenn gave chase. He had the NoCom upto 61km/hr!!
He lost a lot of time when his rear tubular blowout not too long after we started. He was riding hard when he rejoined and make up the deficit within 2 hours. I had a great time drafting off him going at average speed of 36km/hr. When he up the tempo I couldn't keep up.

At the RAAM talk, he had only 30 minutes to tell his experience. He told me afterward that he had so much more to tell but not enough time. It was an enjoyable 30 minutes talk.

Regards

Chong
Last edited by Low Racer on Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Leigh_caines

Postby Leigh_caines » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:51 am

This wasn't a race...
The idea was to get $s together to help kids from overseas get help
... The main 'pack' of 20 or so rider were just trying to do 500ks in 24hours... most of them finished... the 2 recumbents didn't.... I love my recumbent so I'm not saying anything bad about the two riders on recumbents...they did great...
but I say again "this wasn't a race"
So to talk about going faster then the 'upright bikes' is not realy fair as they were not 'raceing'

Low Racer

Postby Low Racer » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:44 pm

Leigh_caines wrote:This wasn't a race...
The idea was to get $s together to help kids from overseas get help
... The main 'pack' of 20 or so rider were just trying to do 500ks in 24hours... most of them finished... the 2 recumbents didn't.... I love my recumbent so I'm not saying anything bad about the two riders on recumbents...they did great...
but I say again "this wasn't a race"
So to talk about going faster then the 'upright bikes' is not realy fair as they were not 'raceing'
Hi Leigh,
You are right, it isn't a race. I think I pushed myself too hard going at Glenn's speed. We were not allowed to draft off the DFs, so both of us decided to go at our own speed. Even though I didn't finish the 500km I had totally enjoyed it riding next to a NoCom.

I am also happy to add that I had raised $1194 for the ROMAC charity. Next year Leigh, we will form our own team.

Regards

Chong

Leigh_caines

Postby Leigh_caines » Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:07 am

Sounds good to me :)

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:18 pm

Low Racer wrote:..............I am also happy to add that I had raised $1194 for the ROMAC charity.
Regards

Chong
Good on you Chong,
A doubly great effort. Using the ride to help others makes it twice as memorable I think.

John Lewis