Getting back to cycling, need some help please

Sticman

Getting back to cycling, need some help please

Postby Sticman » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:08 am

Hi guys,

I'm trying to get back into cycling after a bad car accident but I'm having trouble with my old trusty MTB.
I now have very bad, constant lower back pain and any minor bumps on my MTB cause me wicked pain, so I need to switch to something more suitable.
After some searching I came across some semi-recumbent, chopper style bike that I think might work for me. Only problem is.... I can't find anywhere to try them out.
Looking for something like this:

I use a recumbent exercise bike at my gym and the riding position is excellent. So I'm hoping it will transfer on to the roads/bike paths in and around Williamstown and the inner West.
Anyone know of somewhere in Melbourne that can help?
TIA

rdp_au

Re: Getting back to cycling, need some help please

Postby rdp_au » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:33 pm

That is a Long Wheelbase (LWB) style recumbent - popular in the USA, but not so much anywhere else. I doubt you'll find any new ones for sale in Australia.

However, there are Short Wheelbase (SWB) style recumbents which can offer a very similar riding position. Something like this http://recumbent.net.au/hp-velotechnik-bikes/ These are much more popular and you should be able to find something here in Oz. Not sure about Melbourne, but there is a dealer in Sydney who should be able to source one for you.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:55 pm

Not sure about that specific design, but in Melbourne have a chat to Greenspeed and Trisled, both manufacturers of recumbents. Greenspeed is predominantly trikes, but possibly also do some bikes, while Trisled are a lot more diverse, building just about anything unconventional.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

zebee

Postby zebee » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:07 am

It's fairly hard to find a 2 wheeler in Oz that has pedals lower than seat. If you want that, then you might want to look at a Greenspeed trike with adjustable seat like a Magnum (if you are a big bod) or a GT20.

You can put the seat up fairly high and get a vaguely similar seat to pedal ratio.

IF bumps cause you issues then any 'bent will need either suspension or a mesh seatback. The seat on the illustration is similar to the one on the Bachetta I had and wasn't too bad bumpwise, the full mesh of the Greenspeed is similar in feel.

I've been a two wheel recumbent rider for years, but trikes are taking over everywhere and with good reason... I wouldn't want one for commuter cut and thrust but for recreational riding or training then the ease of riding and the general fun factor are hard to beat.

Sticman

Postby Sticman » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:16 am

Thank you all for the replies, much appreciated.
My back pain comes from where my spine meets my pelvis and they think is probably damages/rooted discs or odema in the vertebrae. Either way, any form of impacting/compacting (esp when seated!) is nearly unbearable. Which is why I'm hoping the 'laid-back- style will work.
I need to lose some of this old spare tyre that I have gained, due to being off work for 3 years!
I recently took a cruise on my brothers Electra Straight-8 and while it is a great bike and very comfortable, the seating position still wasn't perfect.
I have next week off so I will call around the places you guys have mentioned and see what happens from there.

Thanks again
Craig

OldBloke

Postby OldBloke » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:11 am

Have a look at this:
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/adelaide ... 1112907780

In Adelaide, unfortunately, but might give you a start.

OB

Sticman

Postby Sticman » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:57 am

Thanks oldbloke. Nice contraption but not my cuppa tea.

So, after a pretty exhaustive internet/phone search, I came to the conslusion that I'm either gonna have to gamble on importing one or build my own. Both crappy options.
I then remembered that my brothers Electra 'Ghostrider', that I rode in NZ last year, was a pretty comfy ride and seeing as how I saw some for sale at Ashburton cycles, I went for a look.
Met Glendon there and spent near on an hour talking to him. What a great bloke! Helpful, very experienced and has a fantastic range of bikes in his shop. He even showed me his 'Tanker' cruiser that he has stored upstairs. What a beautiful bike that is!
Glendon worked out that a LWB cruiser, like the Electras, with a sprung-saddle and a shock absorber seat stem will be near on perfect for me. After trying that exact set up, I had to agree.
His Rat Fink bike is a piece of art.... its on my wishlist.

Anyone know of someone selling a 2nd hand Electra? Straight-8, Ghostrider or Rat fink?

Thanks for listening and helping too

Craig

OldBloke

Postby OldBloke » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:27 am

There's a heap of ads on Bikeexchange:
https://www.bikeexchange.com.au/s/bikes/electra
Might be some 2nd hand amongst them.

There are also some on Gumtree:
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-bicycles/el ... chBox=true

OB

Sticman

Postby Sticman » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:03 am

Thanks again OB... will start my search.

avolve

Postby avolve » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:50 pm

zebee wrote: I've been a two wheel recumbent rider for years, but trikes are taking over everywhere and with good reason... I wouldn't want one for commuter cut and thrust but for recreational riding or training then the ease of riding and the general fun factor are hard to beat.
I acquired a Catrike Trail for commuting about 3 months back. I had always wanted a trike, and it seemed like a viable option for the addressing coastal headwinds on my ~16km each way commute (the winds often swing around morning to evening here).

Quite fun to ride recreationally, not enjoying it so much as a commuter though...