24 inch ISO 520 wheels advice?

eldavo

24 inch ISO 520 wheels advice?

Postby eldavo » Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:08 pm

I was wondering if anyone here uses ISO 520 wheels and has advice on rims.

A new Airnimal Chameleon frame arrived for me. First build I'm going to try is a sharp roadie as they were initially sold, so I'm looking for ISO 520 wheelset options. I did read these frames receive Cruzbike conversions easily, so just throwing it in for on-topic 'bent forum relevance ;)

I've been searching/learning up on 24inch junior road bikes that use the ISO 520 wheels, not all the parts are exactly donor quality I'm seeking but I'm still looking if the right one at right price appears as an option to get it built up quicker and get to adjusting ergonomics.

PS: I missed out on a local $300 Logo Trike this past weekend, so I still don't have not tried my first 'bent, but it's on the to-do list.

zebee

Re: 24 inch ISO 520 wheels advice?

Postby zebee » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:31 pm

I had a 520 on my Giro to replace the 20" and I can say 'don't do it'!

Hen's teeth ain't in it. Rims impossible to find, only tyre I could get was a Durano folding which pinch flatted the moment it dropped below 100psi, even tubes took some finding.

I too heard rumours they were on some teen road bikes but no one could find the bits for me in this country and damn few overseas.

Zebee

Roinik

Re: 24 inch ISO 520 wheels advice?

Postby Roinik » Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:17 pm

I'd be looking at 24x1-3/8 (540) if I were you. Easier to get rims, already on mass produced bikes (i.e. Byk 540) and a standard wheelchair size. You can fit Schwalbe Marathon Plus 25s to them or road bike tyres of a number of manufacturers. My daughter has them on her bike.
You don't need the best kit, you just need the best attitude.