Catrike boom flex

}SkOrPn--7

Catrike boom flex

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:02 pm

Anyone with a catrike 2014 and later notice hugh amount of boom flex when powering on from a standing start?

Ricky

Duck!
Expert

Re: Catrike boom flex

Postby Duck! » Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:32 pm

Most trikes display a fair bit of flex under initial power; it's just a side effect of the geometry.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:26 pm

Duck! wrote:Most trikes display a fair bit of flex under initial power; it's just a side effect of the geometry.
Yes they do Duck but this is terrible my boom is on the extention limit I'm wondering if getting the XL boom and having more stuffed in the frame might take much of it away. The newer cats have gussets now under the cruciform so doubling the wall thickness with XL boom do you reckon that might help?

Ricky

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:57 pm

Fitting a longer boom end piece for deeper insertion will help because you increase the effective wall thickness for a greater length of the boom, but it's only a partial solution because the boom will still flex all the way from the base.

The best solution, which is very difficult to implement retroactively, is for the boom to be made of square-section tubing. The other bonus of square tube is you don't have to worry about the boom twisting, which does afflict round tube telescoped booms.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:13 pm

Yes Duck spot on I came from a square tube boom with all most no flex and to have this on a round boom I was like wow this thing is bad. Mine can't rotate in the sleeve it has a anti rotate groove on the boom so that issue is fixed. I might order a XL boom and see of that can help a little. I think it's more the frame that flex's because cats boom have a "Y" joined to the round tube down the middle of the boom so that is rock solid.

Ricky