Group Riding

Recumbents and all feet forward machines

Group Riding

Postby Low Racer » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:17 pm

Guys,
What do you do when riding with your df buddies? Do you stay in the pack or power off into the distance and regroup at check points? I like to ride my recumbent fast and certainly would not brake on a descend (when safe to do so). This usually mean I dropped the pack when the gravity is on my side.

Is it bad etiquette?

Chong
Low Racer

by BNA » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:46 pm

BNA

Postby Kalgrm » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:46 pm

I just tell them before we ride that I won't be slowing down on the downhills for them and I won't expect them to slow down on the uphills for me. They are welcome to jump on the back as I go past though ...

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------------------------
My web site: www.scenebyhird.com
The Bicycle Transportation Alliance
Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Freddyflatfoot » Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:07 am

Kalgrm wrote:I just tell them before we ride that I won't be slowing down on the downhills for them and I won't expect them to slow down on the uphills for me. They are welcome to jump on the back as I go past though ...

Cheers,
Graeme

Really Graeme? They always complain they can't draft off of me!
Anyway, I'm usually not that fast, so usually in the middle of the pack, and drop off towards the back on climbs, although I have been known to drop them on downhill runs and rollers!
But usully I hang back in the pack, I just don't work as hard as they do!
Cheers!
Rob
---------------------------------------------------
Homebuilt trike, with electric assist
26"/20" trike, "Goanna"
SWB recumbent, 700C/451 , "Kookaburra", homebuilt.
FWD project (Cyclone).
Optima Raptor
Freddyflatfoot

Postby Kalgrm » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:41 am

I'm on a high racer, 700c front and rear, so I sit up a bit higher than most 'bent riders. Even so, it's usually only the shorter riders on DFs who get much benefit.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
My web site: www.scenebyhird.com
The Bicycle Transportation Alliance
Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Group Riding

Postby bradwoodbr » Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:30 pm

Low Racer wrote:Guys,
What do you do when riding with your df buddies? Do you stay in the pack or power off into the distance and regroup at check points? I like to ride my recumbent fast and certainly would not brake on a descend (when safe to do so). This usually mean I dropped the pack when the gravity is on my side.

Is it bad etiquette?

Chong

Short answer - No, it is much more fun staying with the group. Ride fast in group sprints, in TT, Audax or on your own. If you are blowing them away, perhaps move up to a faster group.

Long answer - In my opinion group riding is disciplined riding. In the groups I ride, the group etiquette is to ride the pace of the group. If a rider gets dropped, mechanical or other, then the group chooses to stop, slow or maintain pace. I have not seen anyone go ahead of the group like you are suggesting. There are however organised sprints, but the group reforms afterwards. In the beginner groups, faster riders wait for slower riders.

Have fun :)
Optima Baron Raptor
Low Racer - Recumbent
http://lowracerrider.blogspot.com/
bradwoodbr

Re: Group Riding

Postby Low Racer » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:27 pm

Short answer - No, it is much more fun staying with the group. Ride fast in group sprints, in TT, Audax or on your own. If you are blowing them away, perhaps move up to a faster group.

Long answer - In my opinion group riding is disciplined riding. In the groups I ride, the group etiquette is to ride the pace of the group. If a rider gets dropped, mechanical or other, then the group chooses to stop, slow or maintain pace. I have not seen anyone go ahead of the group like you are suggesting. There are however organised sprints, but the group reforms afterwards. In the beginner groups, faster riders wait for slower riders.

Have fun :)

I ride with two groups of dfs. The Saturday group, I try to keep myself to the back of the group on the bike path. On the open road, staying at the back of the group would involve alot of coasting and braking. That's with the B group. I think you are right Brad, I will try riding with the A group next time.

Brad, are you the only recumbent in your group?

Chong [/quote]
Low Racer

Postby bradwoodbr » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:48 am

Yes I am the only recumbent in the group, but I really enjoy myself.
I have been in roll ons with the guys that are used to me, which is great fun as I feel I am helping the group effort. I have also joined in the major sprints, but as I was on a steep learning curve, I would follow each move to the end.
Lately I have been sitting as last rider and not going in the roll ons because my fitness is poorly. A number of riders do this. I am fortunate to ride with an accommodating bunch.
Some of the other recumbent riders from this forum may attend soon.

Cheers
Optima Baron Raptor
Low Racer - Recumbent
http://lowracerrider.blogspot.com/
bradwoodbr

Return to Recumbents