Security and Safety for Recumbents

Bunsy03

Security and Safety for Recumbents

Postby Bunsy03 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:09 pm

Hello Everyone, after some research, I am about to buy a greenspeed and become a bent rider for the first time. I am really new to this and would very much appreciate any advice you can give.

I physically cannot drive and so will be using the bent to run errands and commute around the Box Hill / whitehorse area, I wonder if anyone can tell me a good book on bike tracks around Melbourne (to get from A to B, not for "fun") and also road rules for cyclists (eg, signalling etc).

Sorry for the long post, finally, does anyone have advice about good locks etc for the 'bent at public places? Its such an expensive machine to lose or damage! Thank you. 8)

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:28 pm

G'day Bunsy,

Welcome to the forum and to recumbency.

The road rules for bikes and cars are the same in nearly every aspect. You signal when you intend to change lane or turn a corner.

Someone will be able to post a link to online information about where bike lanes are. There shouldn't be any need to buy a book (which may be out of date next month anyway ...)

Locks on 'bents are indeed a problem. Without the traditional diamond frame structure, there isn't much to put the lock through on a 'bent. I run a length of secure chain and a high quality security padlock as my lock, but it's pretty heavy. The good thing is that it's pretty hard to sell-on a trike, so 'bents are not attractive to thieves generally.

Cheers,
Graeme

PS - sorry for the longer answer ... :)

PPS - I removed the bold tags from your post. Such formatting makes reading posts difficult.
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

fredinver

Postby fredinver » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:14 pm

I have used the Bike Paths of Melbourne for ride around the city ( I am from the country but travel there a few times a year). The book is good but the detail around turning points is a bit hard to follow at times and I have found google earth (or a GPS) better for the fine detail. Don't expect good signage to point the way. While the authorities have installed it in most cases often it is painted over or has been damaged to an unreadable state.

Good luck.
A bad days riding beats a good day working!
GT3 Trike
CA2.0

Uba Tracker

Postby Uba Tracker » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:33 pm

Hi Bunsy, I'm not overly familiar with trikes but I am quite familiar with motorcycles, big ones, and I use a cable lock system manufactured by a company called Krytonite. I can't guarantee that it'll do the job but it's worth heading down to Peter Stevens on Elizabeth St for a look see.

cheers

Harry
A bad day's riding beats a good day's work everytime

Freddyflatfoot

Postby Freddyflatfoot » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:50 pm

I think Bicycle Victoria should have some info on bike paths, There seems to be quite a good network in Melbourne!
As for locking a trike, I carry a cable lock, and try and cable lock a front wheel to a post or similar. Using the parking brakes might also deter someone from trying to roll the trike away.
Sometimes, if I cant lock the trike to something, I just apply the park brakes, and run the cable lock through the back wheel.
And yes, I do get nervous leaving my trike unattended!
The accessories are something to consider too. I have had a tail light knocked off, but they left the more expensive headlight! Go figure!
Enjoy your trike, and maybe get in touch with VicHPV, and join in some of the rides!
Cheers!
Rob
---------------------------------------------------
Homebuilt trike, with electric assist
26"/20" trike, "Goanna"
SWB recumbent, 700C/451 , "Kookaburra", homebuilt.
FWD project (Cyclone).
Optima Raptor

william

Postby william » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:54 pm

Hi Bunsy,

If you are in the Box Hill area one of the best people to talk to is Peter from Cycle Science. Other than a Greenspeed recumbent dealer he has a great depth of knowledge with recumbents in general and is good friends with Ian Sims.
As he is Also local to Box Hill he can advise you about the best roads to use and safety for keeping your pride and joy yours.
He's located at 478 Whitehorse road.

William.