Velo Build

fatherofmany
Location: Central Coast NSW Australia 33°26'16"S 151°20'39.50"E ish

Velo Build

Postby fatherofmany » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:12 pm

So I have been harbouring a desire to own a velomobile for a while now. Yes I have passed 50 but don't have a Sheldon Brown beard.

Unfortunately I have other mouths to feed so the cost is a little steep. Love the Rotovelo and may be able to stretch the (from) $6500 but then I went googling and found this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsqQiBa39-U

It's been a few years since I've 'glassed, building model boats as a teen and a new door liner for a vintage fridge about 20 yrs ago. So the idea of fibreglassing doesn't scare me, the scale is just a bit bigger. I know I need to try and avoid 90degree corners, flowing is better.
The electronics of setting up lights, indicators etc is pretty easy too, been playing in that for years. And the building of bikes comes with the FoM territory.

Ideas...

Can fully monocoque the shell with front wheel mounts and bb mounts built in to the front section. Seat and rear wheel mounts built into the rear. Getting it aligned is the interesting part, any ideas on that?

Can aero mount the front lights and mirrors, even incorporating indicators into the mirror housings.

Can build in vents for airflow, ideas?

Thinking of building something a little different to the standard velo "bean" look though. Maybe like a 21st Century aero take on a Morgan 3 wheeler.

Has anyone here done glass over foam? Any hints?

Will be trying to keep the weight down too, 25-30kg total. Am I dreaming or is that possible?
15 Bikes 2 adults 6 children, 2 dogs, 10 chooks and a heck of a lot of fish

TrikeTragic

Re: Velo Build

Postby TrikeTragic » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:54 pm

No hints but I'd love to hear / see how it develops! :lol:

Cheers
Alan
BentCyclist

OldBloke

Postby OldBloke » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:43 pm

Have a look at Brett Turner's Facebook posts in the OzHPV group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OzHPV/p ... 091339026/

fatherofmany

Postby fatherofmany » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:51 pm

OldBloke wrote:Have a look at Brett Turner's Facebook posts in the OzHPV group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OzHPV/p ... 091339026/

Thanks bloke, will do.

At this stage TT, it looks like it may be a Christmas holiday start. Doing a lot of research and talking to people about techniques.

edit. So just looked at the posts and looks like he is making a mould first, then going to lay up in the mould. I can still use some technique but may be a bit different in the end

FoM

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:04 am

Have you considered a coreflute/coroplast body on a trike. Probably cheaper and quicker than a full fledged glass build.

Freddy Flatfoot who used to post on the forum (Not seen him in a while) has made some and they seem to perform well. Also was one in Tassi but cant recall the name. He had a heap of pics up at one time.
This link might be worth a look too.
https://www.bentrideronline.com/message ... p?t=102957
I thought the end result was pretty neat.

I helped a mate build a couple of fibreglass ultralights he'd designed. Foam shape, female mold, final lay up. The preparation took forever but the results were worth it.

Still the coreflute route might be a way to get a velo in a shorter time.
I own a Mango but would still like to have a shot at building.
Go for it.
John

fatherofmany

Postby fatherofmany » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:37 pm

Hi John,

I did look a few coreflute builds on youtoob. It looks like pretty neat way of building and very quick. A sharp knife a bunch of zip ties and a roll of gaffer tape and voila. Or take your time and glue it I suppose.

Alas it doesn't give the look I am after.. and I'd need a trike to start it. Currently designing the body as monocoque to avoid buying one.

FoM