TW-Bents Attack

Freddyflatfoot

Postby Freddyflatfoot » Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:09 pm

Thanks for the info Fred!
Unfortunately, a bit higher than I would be comfortable with, :(.
The FF price was looking good too!

JohnR, looking forwarded to riding with you, and the team in a fortnight. Guess my SWB would be best decsribed as a mid racer? Probably more emphasis on the mid and less on the racer!
I probably wont have more 'protection' than a helmet and shortie gloves!
Course is pretty flat, only real hazard is one section where tram tracks cross the road, (at the Nth gardens) just need to go out wide, and all is good!
Maybe also the possibility of glass on the inside lane areas dropped by the local yobbos!
Otherwise road surface is very good, and if the wind keeps down, should be able to maintain a good avg, especially you lightweight low racer types!
High 30's should be possible, and easily maintained. I reckon I would be looking more in the low 30's., but could maintain that for 50-60 k's.
I'll keep training, and see if I can get it up a bit higher, currently doing 250+ k/week.
Cheers!
Rob
---------------------------------------------------
Homebuilt trike, with electric assist
26"/20" trike, "Goanna"
SWB recumbent, 700C/451 , "Kookaburra", homebuilt.
FWD project (Cyclone).
Optima Raptor

william

Postby william » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:56 pm

My x-seam is 41" and stand at 5'9" on a good day.
The Corsa has a seat height of about 25" and is just on max for me with the seat laid back comfortably. More upright(40degree-ish) and putting my feet down is easy.
At lights the easiest thing for me to do is slide my bum off the side of seat slightly and swing your leg around a little. Much better this way.
The Corsa is also just over 11 Kilos with peddles and water bottle mounts (3).
One under the seat and 2 behind. One carries a small tool/patch/tube kit along with a small tube of sunscreen.
For all the recumbents I've tried the best seat height is about 18-20 inches for me and my legs.

William.

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:07 am

I've gotta admit that the pictures on this thread and comments lead me towards buying an Attack. And Flying Furniture have one on special, the disk brakes version (Ian's also just put on an even cheaper V-brake version on his Specials page). However I read up on the Bacchetta forum about people using a Giro20, that's the 26/20 SWB, and replacing the front wheel with a 24". This brings the Giro closer to a highracer in look and performance. I'll let you all know how this turns out, I should get the bike in a few days then off immediately down south to test it out on the rolling hills of Albany.

Freddyflatfoot

Postby Freddyflatfoot » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:15 am

I had a chance to sit on (not ride), Williams' Corsa last week. Have to admit its higher than I would be comfortable with.
My current SWB is 21.5" with a 406 front wheel. I just laced up a 451 wheel yesterday, and that raised the seat by another inch, which should be ok.
Not sure how it will affect the handling, but I'm hoping the Schwalbe Stelvio might be a bit quicker!
Haven't test ridden it yet, that will be after I get her back together after remounting the V brake posts, and repainting the fork!
I'm in the process of putting together a new frame, that will use the 700C rear wheel, and the same fork with the 451 wheel. More of a mid racer, with a seat height of 18".
Hopefully the new wheel/fork combo goes well, and helps to justify the new frame build!
Cheers!
Rob
---------------------------------------------------
Homebuilt trike, with electric assist
26"/20" trike, "Goanna"
SWB recumbent, 700C/451 , "Kookaburra", homebuilt.
FWD project (Cyclone).
Optima Raptor

fredinver

Postby fredinver » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:00 pm

Finally got around to weighing the Attack. In my normal riding format it is 17.5kg. This includes seat bag lights, speedo, rack and spares. No water included.
With only the rack and speedo, light mounts it is 15.8 so base weight is closer to 14 than 12 kg. It can still keep up with my wedgie and head winds are easier so I will keep riding it. It is enjoyable and good to ride and balance has got better.
A bad days riding beats a good day working!
GT3 Trike
CA2.0

njg02

Re: TW-Bents Attack

Postby njg02 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:51 pm

G'day Fred. How is the Attack going? I've ordered one and can't wait to get it. Have you got some pics of yours with the rack and the rest of your usual gear that you could post? I have a couple of racks at home but am not sure what will fit esp around the rear disc. Have you attached water bottle to the seat or do you use your bag? Also, how easy is it to push along walking beside it? I have about 400m to walk from the gate to my workshop at work. We aren't allowed to ride on the plant. Mud guards. Have you put some on? I'll be commuting 90% of the time and was just about to get a set for my mtb but will see if I need them for the bent. Should be no more water in the face from the front end.
Thanks
Neil

fredinver

Postby fredinver » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:40 pm

Hi,
The attack is going well and I am enjoying riding it more and more. The GT3 is getting jelous.
I added a rack that Ian provided but do not have any photos of it. I will need to take some and get back to you. I have added a head rest and am still trying to find the best position for this. I have added a side loading bidon holder under the seat on the lefthand side. This is sufficent for ride upto about 50km but over that I use the bladder in the seat bag and can then put gadorade in the bidon if needed. I prefer the bladder for drinking as it takes less movement to get a drink but take longer to setup.
I have been laying back the seat bit by bit and have also had to reposition the rack because of this. The more laidback position is more comfortable but i percieve a bit slower on the hills and faster overall. This may only be my perception at this stage and may change as I ride it more.
I am hoping to do a few audax rides on the beast soon and certainly have it lined up for the Slog to Sale later in the year (160km). There s a short gravel section of 3km on one of the routes home that I have ridden but the road is well packed underneath and only small amounts of loose stuff on top. Caution is the word in gravel riding but no more than the sedgie on the same road. The tilt handlebar akes walking the bike easier than the trike and about the sae as a wedgie. I have not fitted mudgaurds but did notice spray up the back of the legs when turning the front wheel in dap conditions. Comuting may require gaurds and I suspect generic 700 gaurds would suit. I tend not to ride the inside bike when the rain is heavy. I am still a bit cautious on slipping in the wet on corners if I touch the brakes so I ensure i slow down before the corner but that is not as much fun
Top speed to date is 65km/hour.
Enjoy the bike.
A bad days riding beats a good day working!
GT3 Trike
CA2.0

njg02

Postby njg02 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:12 pm

Thanks Fred,

All good then. I'm looking forward to getting it soon and adjusting some leg muscles.
I wouldn't mind later on doing a bit of long distance as well.

Regards
Neil