Promoting cycle touring to bring the tourist $

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Promoting cycle touring to bring the tourist $

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:35 am

This article which is about the hick town that my grandparents lived in gives a mention about the increase in cycle tourism (in the video) in their local area and from what I've seen NZ has put quite a bit of effort into promoting cycling tourism including regional bike paths. It's good to see our neighbour is putting in the effort into encouraging cycling tourism and reaping the rewards

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/95863509/on-the-wrong-side-of-taumarunui-dozens-of-unwanted-trains-sit-abandoned?cid=facebook.post.95863509
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

RonK

Re: Promoting cycle touring to bring the tourist $

Postby RonK » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:25 am

mikesbytes wrote:NZ has put quite a bit of effort into promoting cycling tourism including regional bike paths.

Sure has - in April (i.e. in the autumn) I toured the South Island for a month and my route incorporated parts of the Otago Central Rail Trail, the Alps to Ocean Great Ride, the Around the Mountains Great Ride, and the Roxburgh Gorge and Clutha Gold Trails.

I had ridden part of the Otago Central Rail Trail previously, so it came as no surprise that there were plenty of cyclists on the trail even though it was autumn and the temps were really starting to drop. But I was very surprised by the number of people on the Alps to Ocean Great Ride considering that it is only the second season since it opened.

And during the reconstruction of SH1 which was severely damaged by the recent Kaikoura earthquake a new cycleway is being developed in parallel to the highway. I rode this section a few years ago and the scenery is simply stunning but it is the main north-south highway and the heavy traffic did detract from the experience. I'm sure this new cycleway will prove very popular as well.

As usual, Australia could learn a lot about tourism promotion from our neighbours.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...