Accommodation and bicycle hire in or near Le Bourg d'Oisans

Cyclophiliac
Posts: 368
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:48 am

Accommodation and bicycle hire in or near Le Bourg d'Oisans

Postby Cyclophiliac » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:37 pm

I'm looking for accommodation and bicycle hire in Le Bourg d'Oisans, because I want to use it as my base for some Alpine cycling, probably in August next year. There's a bewildering array of accommodation options in the area, so I'm hoping that some of you who have already stayed there can pass on your information on possible options.

I'd prefer B&B style accommodation, and want to hire a bike, because taking one from/to Australia would just be too stressful for me. My main preferences for the accommodation are:
  • reasonably comfortable beds.
  • free wifi that works (doesn't have to be super-fast, just reliable).
  • breakfast included.
  • anywhere in or near Le Bourg (i.e. anywhere between Allemond and Le Clapier).
  • secure bike storage (this is probably the most important feature).
  • can't think of anything else to add to this list, but if I left something out, feel free to mention it!

As for the bike hire, I'm just looking for any road bike with 50/34 front and 11..28 (or 32) rear, endurance geometry, drop bars, reasonably light, i.e. nothing out of the ordinary really.

Regards & thanks,

--- Victor.

wicksey
Posts: 135
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:29 pm

Re: Accommodation and bicycle hire in or near Le Bourg d'Oisans

Postby wicksey » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:10 pm

We stayed with Phil from morethan21bends.com

They also hire bikes out of their shop, prompt.cc

Cyclophiliac
Posts: 368
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:48 am

Re: Accommodation and bicycle hire in or near Le Bourg d'Oisans

Postby Cyclophiliac » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:34 pm

wicksey wrote:We stayed with Phil from morethan21bends.com

They also hire bikes out of their shop, prompt.cc

Thanks for the info, I checked their web site, and it looks like a pretty good option.

User avatar
g-boaf
Posts: 9988
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:11 pm

Re: Accommodation and bicycle hire in or near Le Bourg d'Oisans

Postby g-boaf » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:04 pm

Cyclophiliac wrote:I'm looking for accommodation and bicycle hire in Le Bourg d'Oisans, because I want to use it as my base for some Alpine cycling, probably in August next year. There's a bewildering array of accommodation options in the area, so I'm hoping that some of you who have already stayed there can pass on your information on possible options.

I'd prefer B&B style accommodation, and want to hire a bike, because taking one from/to Australia would just be too stressful for me. My main preferences for the accommodation are:
  • reasonably comfortable beds.
  • free wifi that works (doesn't have to be super-fast, just reliable).
  • breakfast included.
  • anywhere in or near Le Bourg (i.e. anywhere between Allemond and Le Clapier).
  • secure bike storage (this is probably the most important feature).
  • can't think of anything else to add to this list, but if I left something out, feel free to mention it!

As for the bike hire, I'm just looking for any road bike with 50/34 front and 11..28 (or 32) rear, endurance geometry, drop bars, reasonably light, i.e. nothing out of the ordinary really.

Regards & thanks,

--- Victor.


For bike hire, try these guys:

http://www.francebikerentals.com/Madone-95

They hired out bikes to a lot of people recently, including someone I was riding with. Pretty nice bike as well.

They've got a new Emonda as well, 6.35kg:
http://www.francebikerentals.com/2018-Emonda-SLR8

That's very damn light. 50-34 and 11-28, but they'll do 11-32 on it for you. 11-32 on that bike should get you up any mountains. H2 fit as well, so it should be more relaxed.

Cyclophiliac
Posts: 368
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:48 am

Re: Accommodation and bicycle hire in or near Le Bourg d'Oisans

Postby Cyclophiliac » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:01 am

g-boaf wrote:
Cyclophiliac wrote:I'm looking for accommodation and bicycle hire in Le Bourg d'Oisans, because I want to use it as my base for some Alpine cycling, probably in August next year. There's a bewildering array of accommodation options in the area, so I'm hoping that some of you who have already stayed there can pass on your information on possible options.

I'd prefer B&B style accommodation, and want to hire a bike, because taking one from/to Australia would just be too stressful for me. My main preferences for the accommodation are:
  • reasonably comfortable beds.
  • free wifi that works (doesn't have to be super-fast, just reliable).
  • breakfast included.
  • anywhere in or near Le Bourg (i.e. anywhere between Allemond and Le Clapier).
  • secure bike storage (this is probably the most important feature).
  • can't think of anything else to add to this list, but if I left something out, feel free to mention it!

As for the bike hire, I'm just looking for any road bike with 50/34 front and 11..28 (or 32) rear, endurance geometry, drop bars, reasonably light, i.e. nothing out of the ordinary really.

Regards & thanks,

--- Victor.


For bike hire, try these guys:

http://www.francebikerentals.com/Madone-95

They hired out bikes to a lot of people recently, including someone I was riding with. Pretty nice bike as well.

They've got a new Emonda as well, 6.35kg:
http://www.francebikerentals.com/2018-Emonda-SLR8

That's very damn light. 50-34 and 11-28, but they'll do 11-32 on it for you. 11-32 on that bike should get you up any mountains. H2 fit as well, so it should be more relaxed.

Thanks for the tip. The Madone-95 is way out of my preferred price range, although I'm sure it would be nice to ride. This one
http://www.francebikerentals.com/Emonda-SL6
is quite nice, and a great deal cheaper, at about $440AU / week.

User avatar
g-boaf
Posts: 9988
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:11 pm

Re: Accommodation and bicycle hire in or near Le Bourg d'Oisans

Postby g-boaf » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:49 am

Cyclophiliac wrote:Thanks for the tip. The Madone-95 is way out of my preferred price range, although I'm sure it would be nice to ride. This one
http://www.francebikerentals.com/Emonda-SL6
is quite nice, and a great deal cheaper, at about $440AU / week.


That should be a great bike. I rode on a 7.2kg weight Giant TCR with 50-34/11-32 combination and all Dura Ace except the cassette and Ultegra 8000 RD. It was fine.

Arlberg
Posts: 428
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:43 pm

Re: Accommodation and bicycle hire in or near Le Bourg d'Oisans

Postby Arlberg » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:06 am

I stayed at morethan21bends in July 2014 and it was REALLY fantastic. As well as a B&B they also have numerous apartments available for rent around the town. I started in the B&B and then moved to a one bedroom apartment right next door when the TDF came through and the B&B was fully booked. I was still able to have the nice breakfast in the B&B but was able to cook my own carb loaded spaghetti dinners in the apartment at night.

Because I was there by myself Phil also let me join his daily group rides at no charge which are great too and very social. I can't recommend morethan21bends highly enough. You have to book well in advance though and I can see why - they are really good.

I brought my own bike with me but they also rent nice bikes at a very fair price.

Cyclophiliac
Posts: 368
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:48 am

Re: Accommodation and bicycle hire in or near Le Bourg d'Oisans

Postby Cyclophiliac » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:20 pm

Arlberg wrote:I stayed at morethan21bends in July 2014 and it was REALLY fantastic. As well as a B&B they also have numerous apartments available for rent around the town. I started in the B&B and then moved to a one bedroom apartment right next door when the TDF came through and the B&B was fully booked. I was still able to have the nice breakfast in the B&B but was able to cook my own carb loaded spaghetti dinners in the apartment at night.

Because I was there by myself Phil also let me join his daily group rides at no charge which are great too and very social. I can't recommend morethan21bends highly enough. You have to book well in advance though and I can see why - they are really good.

I brought my own bike with me but they also rent nice bikes at a very fair price.

I'm currently in (email) discussions with More Than 21 Bends (Helen), because I'm planning to stay there in the 2nd half of June 2019, then another 2.5 weeks at a B&B near Saint-Jean-de-Maurienne, so about 4.5 weeks of Alpine cycling fun! :D
Thanks for the above information.

BugsBunny
Posts: 413
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:06 pm

Re: Accommodation and bicycle hire in or near Le Bourg d'Oisans

Postby BugsBunny » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:51 pm

I rented a bike from these guys:
http://www.cyclesetsports.com/en/479-bike-hire

Cyclophiliac
Posts: 368
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:48 am

Re: Accommodation and bicycle hire in or near Le Bourg d'Oisans

Postby Cyclophiliac » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:55 pm

BugsBunny wrote:I rented a bike from these guys:
http://www.cyclesetsports.com/en/479-bike-hire

Thanks for the post. I've heard them mentioned by some of the B&B operators (in or near Le Bourg-d'Oisans) I've been in email discussions with.

User avatar
cyclotaur
Posts: 1542
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:36 pm

Re: Accommodation and bicycle hire in or near Le Bourg d'Oisans

Postby cyclotaur » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:57 pm

On my trip to Provence this year I used https://www.cctbikerentals.com/en/home
They delivered and picked up from my start/finish hotel in Vence near Nice.

I rode the cheapest road bike option for two weeks with no issues, though after climbing Mt Ventoux I checked the cassette to find it was 11-28, not the specced 11-32. :lol: :lol: Probably because it had non-standard wheelset. :roll:
Here's my blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding not racing...."

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users