The Windy Isle

gururug

The Windy Isle

Postby gururug » Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:26 pm

I would love to tour tasmania one day........... :D, is that counted as overseas?

Seriously though, there are lots of OSeas people posting hear about coming to australia etc. etc.

Fuss up riders;

-In what countries have you pedaled in?
-What was it like?
-Did you take your own bike or hire?
-What is some general good advice about cycling OSEAS?

Can't say I have ridden oseas. I get hit by a motorbike in Bangkok, does that count?

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:39 pm

I've pedalled in Tasmania :D

It was cold and wet and windy and I had my own bike, which broke eventually.

Halfanewb

Postby Halfanewb » Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:46 pm

Back in 1980 when i was younger and much fitter i did a two week bike trip around the Netherlands.
The place is completely flat! but to offset that the wind can be a pain , they have an entire transport system for cycles, only when one has to enter the city do they experience riding along side cars but even then they have designated lanes for cycles complete with cycle traffic lights.
One of the big benefits is that everyone speaks English as a second language.

Started just above Belgium worked my way up the coast and down the other side. Planned the stops at the various youth hostels along the way which were usually snuggled away just outside of a town in the woodland reserves.

the day usually started off with heading to the next destination along bike roads that traveled through scenic routes, along canals, past windmills through picturesque villages, medieval castles, old roman fortifications, talk about eye candy! once at the next hostel we would usually meet up with folks from the night before who were heading in the same direction. We would get cleaned up and catch the bus into the nearest town and go sight seeing and do a pub crawl.

Would love to do it again, and with return fares at around the $1100 return its really tempting!.

funigalo

Postby funigalo » Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:03 pm

My wife and I have done a bit of touring in NSW, Tassie and NZ, and it's the same as most things - experience counts for everything. Before setting out on an epic, make sure that all equipment is in working order, and that it should continue to work for the duration of your trip. In particular, I'm talking about bike, drive train, and wheels. Without those, you're going nowhere.

We come from a camping/hiking (outdoors) background so it wasn't hard to apply that knowledge to cycle touring - and believe me, the cycle touring is the best. You are living in the elements, and your schedule is your own. That's why it is so much better to camp, as advanced booking is not required.

The NSW trip was a good introduction being only 4 days long, the Tassie trip was great, but the NZ trip was out of this world.

We always take our own bikes as they are setup for each of us, we know how they work, and are reliable. Our belief is that you get what you pay for, and if you are prepared to fork out at the start, the trip can be so much more enjoyable without the hassle of carrying out running repairs (although these are bound to be required with whatever equipment you have).

If you want, you can check out the (rather long) trip reports on our website ozisafari(dot)com. There are also some photos which may whet your appetite. The countdown has already started for our next trip to the west coast of Tassie - can't wait.

timbo

Postby timbo » Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:27 pm

I'm currently touring New Zealand on a driving holiday and tomorrow in Wellington they are forcasting storms and 130 km/hr winds. Brilliant if it is a tail wind, but if it was a headwind you could actually cycle backwards. The North Island has more than its fare share of big hills and on anything less than Highway One the road shoulder is non-existant. The south island awaits in a couple of days, so I can't wait to see the roads in that area, where tomorrow down in the lower part of the island they are expecting around 100mm of rain. Having said that, on a fine calm day, it is absolutely brilliant.

katemichellepope

Greetings from Rockhampton, QLD

Postby katemichellepope » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:10 am

I'd also love to cycle Tasmania one day as well as East Coast of Oz & Great Ocean Rd.

I did my first cycle touring trip ever in August '06 & it was a beautiful, amazing & challenging journey riding more than 2000 kms over 21 days across 4000 & 5000m+ passes cycling from Chengdu in Sichuan Province, China to Lhasa, capital of Tibet. I don't do things in halves do I?! But anyway, I'd do it again in a second. 6 months has passed since then & I'm experiencing withdrawals and missing being on the road.

Keen to hit the road again & feel the wind in my hair for my next adventure ASAP. It'll more than likely be somewhere in China where I am based, SE Asia (Thailand/Vietnam/Laos/Cambodia/Indonesia) or in the Himalayas (Friendship Highway from Lhasa, Tibet - Khatmandu, Nepal or the Karaokoram H'way to Kashgar). Sth America (Peru, Macchu Picchu) is on my list too.

Just need to learn how to repair & fix my bicycle when its broken so I am more confident cycling on my own & I'll be right!

Happy Cycling to you all! : )

Kate

geoffs

Postby geoffs » Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:36 pm

Still haven't done Tassie yet. I was there a few weeks ago with the bike but was to busy to get any rides in.

Countries I've toured in:
Europe - England and Wales, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Germany, Austria(2x), France (3x), Italy for somewhere around the 22,000kms mark
Canada - British Columbia and Alberta 3,800kms
NZ South island
Australia - a fair amount of the east coast in bits and pieces.
Early tour was on a single, all the tours since have been on tandems (up to #3)

Touring seriously when possible since '89
I think the only things I haven't worn out or broken along the way are handlebars, stems and crank arms.

Cheers

Geoff

Recycler

Overseas Cycling

Postby Recycler » Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:00 pm

G'Day Gururug, I have cycled across Norway, the Faroe Islands, the Shetland and Orkney Islands, Scotland and the Western Isles. Ireland and NSW ,Northern Territory and part of Tasmania. It was great but had its moments. I am sure you would love it. Tour with good friends if you can, if not go alone. All of my touring has been carry every thing you need . I have toureg on a mountain bike, a Moulton and a two wheel recumbent. Each bike has its place! I have used my own bikes on all of my tours. Wish you good Travels! Good Luck, Recycler