A certain kind of madness: A bicycle odyssey with dogs

For Australian Cyclists travelling and touring OS

A certain kind of madness: A bicycle odyssey with dogs

Postby Aushiker » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:40 pm

Hi

We turn down a narrow lane and pedal into the shaded canopy of the apartment buildings. Another concrete jungle, another new mish-mash of faces and impressions, space and energy.

But with the break in traffic we are exposed. Heads turn, eyebrows raise, conversations are interrupted, fingers are pointed, and often a series of chuckles can be heard. Some people look bemused, some people look ecstatic, some people look appalled, but regardless, people look.

“You are crazy!”… “This is the best, this is the best, this is the best!”… “It must take a certain kind of madness”... “Can I take a photo?” Yes, it seems that cycling with dogs is a foolproof way of engaging the curiosity of strangers.

Combining paws and pedals

Our unlikely story begins in the dark of an Icelandic winter, where an Australian boy meets a Canadian girl. Two odd socks, far from home, our eyes meet across the steamy kitchen of a Reykjavik hostel.

Six months later we are living together in Belgium, our lives a fluster of excited activity. Jobs are quit, drawers emptied, possessions sold. It's a time of wanderlust and dreaming, and anything is possible. Never mind that we've never changed a flat tyre before, and that I've barely touched a bicycle since I was a child, we're off to experience the world, one pedal at a time.

One small problem. Well, actually one medium sized problem and another big, hairy problem – our two dogs. Dogs? Yes, and not some paperweight Chihuahuas either. Zoa [the Canadian] had rescued two abandoned dogs: Jack, a 40kg husky/retriever/grizzly bear cross, was found emaciated and with his front teeth gnawed down from chewing at his chain. Paco, a mad, wiry 15kg Portuguese podengo, was found running in traffic, scared of the world. ...

Balance at BikeRadar.com

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Aushiker

by BNA » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:06 pm

BNA

Re: A certain kind of madness: A bicycle odyssey with dogs

Postby Max » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:06 pm

Absolutely awe-inspiring! Good on them! :D

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy
Max

Postby Pax » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:53 pm

Max wrote:Absolutely awe-inspiring! Good on them! :D

Max

+1 :D
Pax

Postby simonn » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:57 pm

Max wrote:Absolutely awe-inspiring!

I think you mean "paw-inspiring".

Thank you! thank you! I'll be here all night!
simonn

Postby Max » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:19 pm

Simonn, that was terrible! I love it! :lol:

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy
Max

Return to Touring Overseas