French Cycling Holidays - Heard of them??

Luiann

French Cycling Holidays - Heard of them??

Postby Luiann » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:23 pm

Hi,

Have been a lurker for quite awhile but now planning a trip to France next year and keen to cycle. We are planning a guided tour with French Cycling Holidays a British company to ease ourselves into the holiday. After this we will then do a self guided trip in another area. We cycle regularly and like a challenge but hey we are on holidays for only a month so want some of the logistics done for us.

Really after any feedback or experiences with this company, very difficult to pick which cycling touring company to use.

thanks Luiann

vwhite

Re: French Cycling Holidays - Heard of them??

Postby vwhite » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:09 pm

Hi
Sorry have not heard of this company.There a plenty of companies in France that can help you.
We have completed a self guided tour in September for 5 weeks using the Cycling France lonely planet guide adapting it
to suit us. We used trains and buses, it would have been nice to have some of our gear transported especially in
in the Dordogne region. We went to the Brittany, Dordogne, Provence and the Mediteranean regions. If you have any question be in touch.

Cheers
vicki

Luiann

Postby Luiann » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:57 am

Thanks Vicki, Have had some feedback from another site, so fairly happy we have made the right choice. Still tossing up on who to choose for the self guided, so many of these firms in France. Mind you after the ride I had yesterday I need to get some more km's under the belt, hard work and it rained. Oh well plenty of training time till May. Thanks again.

Luiann

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:08 am

Try PM'ing toolonglegs. He lives in France and might be able to point you in the right direction.

Luiann

Postby Luiann » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:27 pm

Thanks for the tip - will do.

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:08 pm

Save money, get a motorhome and take your bikes... lotsa fun. Have done most of SW France, the Aude, Provence, Alps and Pyrenees that way, and it's a good way to travel. Biggest hassle, and potentially cost, is transporting your bikes safely.

Chanboy

Postby Chanboy » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:31 pm

I did a 4 day cycling tour with Discover France in July this year.
(http://www.discoverfrance.com/bikeindex.html). 4 Days riding through the Loire Valley. Aprox 50klms - 80klms per day of riding. The area is quite flat so this is easily achievable for even moderately fit people.

This is a self guided type of tour - the tour company provides bikes, maps, gps's, organises accommodation and gives some advice on places to stop off for rest / food / drink / sight seeing etc. Everything else is up to you.

We had a fantastic time, loved every minute of it.

Luiann

Postby Luiann » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:25 am

Hi, thanks for the replies, we have Discover France as one of the companies selected for our self guided trip, they look good and offer variety in the km's. We can cycle 60 - 100km a day no worries, and in hilly terrain.

On the motorhome suggestion, this trip is part of a longer trip and taking our bikes and the hassle of then transporting them around with us is not worth the worry, as it is a holiday.

Cheers Leanne

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:37 am

understood. Last year my partner and I took bikes in hard cases from Adelaide >>> New York City >>> Paris >>> Canal boat (Canal du Midi) >> motorhome in southern France >>> Paris >>> London >>> Adelaide. It's a hassle.

Luiann

Postby Luiann » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:34 pm

Just thought I would update my post - Well we went and cycled with French Cycling Holidays in May this year in the Languedoc region. Fantastic cycling tour company with great riding. Could not have made a better choice. Good distances for still being able to sight see and enjoy the villages we stopped in, great food and wine. Could not say a bad word about the company - excellent guides that let you do your pace and always gave options for more or less distance.
For our self guided trip we used a very local outfit and it was interesting - got maps and gps, lost numerous times mainly from going to look at something else off track but had a blast. Cycled in the Dordogne region - which is very hilly but beautiful.
Can't wait for when I have more time to take my bike over and travel around the beautiful french countryside for months at a time, but for a short holiday both tour companies provided a great cycle experience.
Found french motorists obliging and everyone helpful. Next year cycling China - can't wait.