Going to Japan, cheap-ish waterpoof panniers?

Fluidz

Going to Japan, cheap-ish waterpoof panniers?

Postby Fluidz » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:34 pm

Hey guys,

I have Googled aroud but all I can find is $300 pannier bags which are waterproof, I don't have that money to spend. I need something for around $100-150. With that said, is this pannier a reasonable choice or is there something else?

http://www.velogear.com.au/products/50L ... 4-159.html

Thanks for any help,

Fluidz

Aushiker

Re: Going to Japan, cheap-ish waterpoof panniers?

Postby Aushiker » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:19 pm

Are you buying a front and rear set or just a rear set? You can get some decent ones online from Evans Cycles for example such as Ortlieb Back Roller Classics for $117 delivered to your door if you only want rear panniers.

Personally I wouldn't bother with anything other than Ortlieb.

Andrew
Andrew

WestcoastPete

Postby WestcoastPete » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:39 pm

I've used those Ridesportz panniers from Velogear on the front and the generic Velogear black panniers on the back. The bolt on the lower T-piece connector on the Ridesportz pulled through the plastic rendering them useless (for that purpose; I still rode with them, they just weren't connected at the bottom and hence wobbled and swayed a bit more). The black Velogear ones have been good for nearly 3yrs now, but they're now getting worn out with the pvc breaking down. They're not waterproof anymore.

So +1 on the Ortliebs. They're really good value, great quality and are well proven. Mine are about 3 weeks old and have been put on the bike once, and so far they're holding up well!

Meditator

Postby Meditator » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:56 am

Ortlieb classics again. Try this link is broken. Shipping to oz is free.

Even the Deuter ones we had with raincoats would be good enough for Japan because you wouldn't be riding through rivers. That said, Deuters are not cheap either.

Fluidz

Postby Fluidz » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:41 am

Thanks for the replies guys and sorry about not specifying back or front sets but this is for the rear.

I am going to order the Ortlieb classic set then, one last item to address is the mount. What is a good one to get :D?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:20 pm

Fluidz wrote:Thanks for the replies guys and sorry about not specifying back or front sets but this is for the rear.

I am going to order the Ortlieb classic set then, one last item to address is the mount. What is a good one to get :D?
When you say mount do you mean the rack?

BTW it seems Wiggle has got out of Ortlieb or no longer shipping them to Australia. Mind you they where expensive anyway. PBK might be worth a look as they can be competitive at times as can http://bike24.net even though you pay postage.

Andrew
Andrew

Fluidz

Postby Fluidz » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:45 pm

Aushiker wrote:
Fluidz wrote:Thanks for the replies guys and sorry about not specifying back or front sets but this is for the rear.

When you say mount do you mean the rack?

BTW it seems Wiggle has got out of Ortlieb or no longer shipping them to Australia. Mind you they where expensive anyway. PBK might be worth a look as they can be competitive at times as can http://bike24.net even though you pay postage.

Andrew
Yes rack sorry*

WestcoastPete

Postby WestcoastPete » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:39 pm

Well the standard to go with your Ortliebs are Tubus racks. Topeak and TorTec look alright too, it's just that Tubus are well proven. Others opinions may differ...

Fluidz

Postby Fluidz » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:32 pm

Those racks are roughly $150 from what I can see, are there any stores that sell them cheaper? Also what style of rack should I be looking for?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:41 pm

Fluidz wrote:Those racks are roughly $150 from what I can see, are there any stores that sell them cheaper? Also what style of rack should I be looking for?
$80 to $117 at Evanscycles.

Andrew
Andrew

WestcoastPete

Postby WestcoastPete » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:58 pm

Yeah, they're certainly not the cheapest. This is the one I'd recommend, although the Vega is slightly cheaper but also smaller.

The alternative would be the Topeak Super Tourist. It's considerably cheaper and will probably be fine. The biggest differences are that the Tubus racks are made with chromo steel and the Topeaks are aluminium. Here's a little discussion on the virtues of both materials and the value vs cost of racks.

What are your plans for Japan? It's a great place. I've cycled in Hokkaido and it was magical; I can't wait to do it again later this year. Have you discovered Crazy Guy on a Bike (that last link will take you there)? In the left hand menu you can browse through journals by locale. Here's a link to all of the journals that include travel in Japan.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:05 pm

Ortlieb are the standard for panniers - much cheaper to buy from overseas, although someone told me of an offer from Commuter Cycles in Brunswick of a complete set of front and rear Ortliebs, together with a Tubus front rack for $400 or so. Best local price I've heard of.

Carradice make some similar welded-PVC panniers and really waterproof waxed canvas panniers as well. They are of equal quality.

Racks - Tubus are the stand-out. Exceptional strength and rigidity, with low weight. The pain of a few hundred dollars will vanish once you've put your bags on and done a tour. There is nothing really comparable. Topeak are aluminium, weaker, flexy. Old Man Mountain are tough, but awkward fit , bulky and heavy.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:17 pm

Tioga have a cheapish waterproof pannier http://www.this link is broken/Tioga-Water ... ar-Pannier. I got mine from Anaconda
for less than the Cell price. They are quite effective, and have been durable enough for my commuting use.

If you want to go cheaper, Tioga have lower cost not waterproof panniers. But if you get a couple of dry-bags of the right size and stuff the critical things in that, and put them in the panneirs, you would be waterproof enough. Anaconda and other adventure/camping and Torpedo 7 are all good places to check for cheap dry-bags.

Cheers
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

Fluidz

Postby Fluidz » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:31 pm

Allrighty guys,

Thanks for all the help so far and just before I purchase the stuff I want to confirm just to be sure :D

The panniers I shall buy:

Code: Select all

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/ortlieb/back-roller-pannier-pair-ec005536?query=Ortlieb%20classic#features
The rack:

Code: Select all

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/tubus/logo-rear-carrier-black-ec006903?query=tubus
Also the type of riding in Japan will be down from Sapporo to Osaka.

WestcoastPete

Postby WestcoastPete » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:22 am

Pretty much a gold standard setup there mate, it should serve you well.

If you feel like it, start a wee thread on your trip; I'd love to hear about it.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:33 am

Excellent choices. These will not disappoint you and should serve you well for many years of touring into the future.

I've had my Bikepacker Classics anf Tubus Cargo for 6-7 years and have typically done about 20-30 nights of loaded cycle-camping each year plus daily commuting of 10kms each way.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Fluidz

Postby Fluidz » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:11 pm

WestcoastPete wrote:Pretty much a gold standard setup there mate, it should serve you well.

If you feel like it, start a wee thread on your trip; I'd love to hear about it.
I started up a blog for the Japan trip, and future ones. So if you want to read up I shall be posting content on:

www.ridejapan.wordpress.com

Thanks again for all the help everyone :D

Fluidz

Postby Fluidz » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:00 am

Sorry to bump this thread but the blog address has changed to: otakujapan.wordpress.com

WestcoastPete

Postby WestcoastPete » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:01 pm

Fluidz wrote:Sorry to bump this thread but the blog address has changed to: otakujapan.wordpress.com
Thanks for that mate, I'll keep my eye on it. Good luck with your trip!