Best airline company to take a bicycle with? PER>FRANKFURT

For Australian Cyclists travelling and touring OS

Re: Best airline company to take a bicycle with? PER>FRANKFU

Postby toofat » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:15 am

China Southern
$1650 return in July
$30 kilo luggage
dont know what other cities apart from paris the go to
Image
toofat
 
Posts: 521
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:38 am
Location: East Victoria Park,Perth

by BNA » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:53 pm

BNA
 

Re: Best airline company to take a bicycle with? PER>FRANKFU

Postby elStado » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:53 pm

toofat wrote:China Southern
$1650 return in July
$30 kilo luggage
dont know what other cities apart from paris the go to


$30 per kilo? Over what existing limit? 20kg? So if you are taking 30kg worth of baggage you will have to pay an extra $300 each way?

What airline to they use to fly from Perth to China (?)?
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA
User avatar
elStado
 
Posts: 2327
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:27 pm
Location: Riding somewhere around Perth on my Vivente World Randonneur!

Re: Best airline company to take a bicycle with? PER>FRANKFU

Postby Aushiker » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:42 pm

elStado wrote:What airline to they use to fly from Perth to China (?)?


China Southern .... that is the whole point ... they now fly out of Perth and if you choose the correct flights they have one stop over in China on the way to Europe, just like the other airlines. Excess baggage charges are detailed at http://www.csair.com/en/help/faq/06.asp?page=p_4&col=5 . You will need to use Xe.com to convert from Yuan to Aus dollars but 23 kg to 32 kg is $99 BTW.

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Image
User avatar
Aushiker
 
Posts: 19397
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:55 pm
Location: Fremantle, WA

Re: Best airline company to take a bicycle with? PER>FRANKFU

Postby elStado » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:50 pm

Aushiker wrote:
elStado wrote:What airline to they use to fly from Perth to China (?)?


China Southern .... that is the whole point ... they now fly out of Perth and if you choose the correct flights they have one stop over in China on the way to Europe, just like the other airlines. Excess baggage charges are detailed at http://www.csair.com/en/help/faq/06.asp?page=p_4&col=5 . You will need to use Xe.com to convert from Yuan to Aus dollars but 23 kg to 32 kg is $99 BTW.

Andrew


Cheers Andrew. I'll check it out again.
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA
User avatar
elStado
 
Posts: 2327
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:27 pm
Location: Riding somewhere around Perth on my Vivente World Randonneur!

Re: Best airline company to take a bicycle with? PER>FRANKFU

Postby Aushiker » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:57 pm

elStado wrote:Cheers Andrew. I'll check it out again.


The problem but for you is that they do not go to Frankfurt. Paris seems the closest airport.

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Image
User avatar
Aushiker
 
Posts: 19397
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:55 pm
Location: Fremantle, WA

Re: Best airline company to take a bicycle with? PER>FRANKFU

Postby elStado » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:00 am

Aushiker wrote:
elStado wrote:Cheers Andrew. I'll check it out again.


The problem but for you is that they do not go to Frankfurt. Paris seems the closest airport.

Andrew


True. I really wanted to start out from Germany as my family live there, so it will be easier to re-assemble and test the bike from there before setting out. I'm also taking a ~10kg bag with my regular gear for the remainder of the trip (I am not planning to only go bike touring while I am there). Was going to get picked up from Frankfurt or take the train to where my family live.
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA
User avatar
elStado
 
Posts: 2327
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:27 pm
Location: Riding somewhere around Perth on my Vivente World Randonneur!

Re: Best airline company to take a bicycle with? PER>FRANKFU

Postby toofat » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:49 pm

sorry my typo the free luggage limit ison our tickets is 30 kilo
Image
toofat
 
Posts: 521
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:38 am
Location: East Victoria Park,Perth

Re: Best airline company to take a bicycle with? PER>FRANKFU

Postby elStado » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:31 pm

Well, it is all lock and loaded. Booked my flights from Perth to Dusseldorf (closer and cheaper to where I want to get to) on Tuesday evening.

Now I have to set about getting my camping gear sorted, I need a tent, stove, cookwear, sleeping mattress and sleeping bag. I also need a front rack and front pannier bags. If anyone has some 2nd hand gear they are willing to sell to me for a reasonable price let me know.

I also wrote an article on my blog concerning the subject of taking your touring bike overseas..
http://velophileaustralia.wordpress.com ... trictions/
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA
User avatar
elStado
 
Posts: 2327
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:27 pm
Location: Riding somewhere around Perth on my Vivente World Randonneur!

Re: Best airline company to take a bicycle with? PER>FRANKFU

Postby scirocco » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:38 pm

elStado wrote:Well, it is all lock and loaded. Booked my flights from Perth to Dusseldorf (closer and cheaper to where I want to get to) on Tuesday evening.


Well, don't keep us in suspense! The million dollar question of the thread was - Which airline? :D
scirocco
 
Posts: 314
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:34 pm

Re: Best airline company to take a bicycle with? PER>FRANKFU

Postby elStado » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:52 pm

scirocco wrote:
elStado wrote:Well, it is all lock and loaded. Booked my flights from Perth to Dusseldorf (closer and cheaper to where I want to get to) on Tuesday evening.


Well, don't keep us in suspense! The million dollar question of the thread was - Which airline? :D


OH.. :oops:

I booked with Emirates. Not much more expensive after factoring other costs and considering flight duration. Should be very easy and straight forward, leave on Sunday morning and arrive in Germany that evening at 7pm, at my family's home by 9pm. I'll take my bike over in a box, un-box at the airport and assemble, mount all the panniers and then take the train to where I want to go.
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA
User avatar
elStado
 
Posts: 2327
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:27 pm
Location: Riding somewhere around Perth on my Vivente World Randonneur!

Re: Best airline company to take a bicycle with? PER>FRANKFU

Postby scirocco » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:30 pm

elStado wrote:I booked with Emirates.


Cool. I'm also going to France with them in September on the same morning flight as you. It means a hellishly early start but you can be in bed in Europe the same day as you set out, and that somehow feels easier than the overnight flights.

Watch that baggage allowance, though. They are mega-strict on it. Last year I had 30.5 kg including the bike and the check-in lady said that if it had been 30.6 she would have charged me for the extra kilo (about $70 I think). And on the return trip at CDG in Paris they were weighing people's carry-on bags, which I've never encountered before.
scirocco
 
Posts: 314
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:34 pm

Re: Best airline company to take a bicycle with? PER>FRANKFU

Postby elStado » Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:39 pm

scirocco wrote:
elStado wrote:I booked with Emirates.


Cool. I'm also going to France with them in September on the same morning flight as you. It means a hellishly early start but you can be in bed in Europe the same day as you set out, and that somehow feels easier than the overnight flights.

Watch that baggage allowance, though. They are mega-strict on it. Last year I had 30.5 kg including the bike and the check-in lady said that if it had been 30.6 she would have charged me for the extra kilo (about $70 I think). And on the return trip at CDG in Paris they were weighing people's carry-on bags, which I've never encountered before.


Thanks for the heads-up. Maybe they have changed policies or maybe it comes down to who serves you, as I have hear stories that are the complete opposite. E.g. people being quite a few kg over and the counter person just waving it through and not blinking an eye. I will be careful though with the weight and weight it all myself in advance before going to the airport. You can buy an extra 5kg if needed for $280, or $70 per kg as you mentioned.

I really like the idea of getting leaving Perth and arriving in Germany on the same day. I don't mind early starts, my last flight to London with AirAsia left at 3:30am and had a 20hr stopover in KL.. (we booked a cheap hotel to rest up).
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA
User avatar
elStado
 
Posts: 2327
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:27 pm
Location: Riding somewhere around Perth on my Vivente World Randonneur!

Re: Best airline company to take a bicycle with? PER>FRANKFU

Postby sonj » Wed May 16, 2012 12:30 am

Enjoy your trip and I hope you get an A380 for at least the Dubai/Europe sections. The seat and armrest widths seem slightly wider than on the Boeing 777 (both are 3-4-3 but the Airbus is wider and just nicer and quieter in general), and their IFE is pretty damned good.

My recent experience with Emirates to Europe in 2012 shoulder season was: weekend flights to Europe -> fairly packed and more strict with luggage, but return flights mid-week were less crowded with most people getting vacant adjacent seats. Our flight was also cheaper through a travel agent than quotes for any airline that we got through the various online flight sites like Expedia and Webjet, except the known ultra cheapies - we were happy pay up to $400 extra for comfort/IFE/timing's sake.

Admittedly we didn't come anywhere near their 30kg basic limit either, nor did we take our own bikes, although given the standard of touring bikes we ended up hiring, it might be a higher consideration for future tours!
sonj
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:17 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Best airline company to take a bicycle with? PER>FRANKFU

Postby elStado » Wed May 16, 2012 10:47 am

sonj wrote:Enjoy your trip and I hope you get an A380 for at least the Dubai/Europe sections. The seat and armrest widths seem slightly wider than on the Boeing 777 (both are 3-4-3 but the Airbus is wider and just nicer and quieter in general), and their IFE is pretty damned good.

My recent experience with Emirates to Europe in 2012 shoulder season was: weekend flights to Europe -> fairly packed and more strict with luggage, but return flights mid-week were less crowded with most people getting vacant adjacent seats. Our flight was also cheaper through a travel agent than quotes for any airline that we got through the various online flight sites like Expedia and Webjet, except the known ultra cheapies - we were happy pay up to $400 extra for comfort/IFE/timing's sake.

Admittedly we didn't come anywhere near their 30kg basic limit either, nor did we take our own bikes, although given the standard of touring bikes we ended up hiring, it might be a higher consideration for future tours!


Hrrm. My flight out is on Sunday AM and arrives on Sunday evening, and my return flight leaves Germany on Friday evening, arrives Dubia on Saturday AM and arrives in Perth early Sunday AM. Hopefully it wont be an issue. I asked the sales rep when I booked my flight and they said taking a bike in a box plus another bag wouldn't be an issue as long as it's within the weight limit. Here's hoping it all goes to plan.
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA
User avatar
elStado
 
Posts: 2327
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:27 pm
Location: Riding somewhere around Perth on my Vivente World Randonneur!

Re: Best airline company to take a bicycle with? PER>FRANKFU

Postby polishbiker » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:45 am

scirocco wrote:My box was 104x80x28cm and Emirates didn't bat an eyelid in Oz or in Europe. Pedals, bars and both wheels off and down each side of the frame with lots of padding. I wouldn't use a Qantas box without cutting it down - they are unnecessarily big.

If you want to take the bike on European trains you can take it as regular luggage for no extra charge but needs to be 120x90 or less or they may refuse as it won't fit in the racks. Some trains can carry a fully built up bike in reserved bike areas, but a lot of trains do not.

Just had a chat with someone i know who works for flightcentre, she contacted the Emirates airlines and they say they do not accept bicycle boxes :| hardacse only which makes things difficult but reading the above they dont really care so much?

Anyone else used Emirates and a cardbox?

Ta
polishbiker
 
Posts: 304
Joined: Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:18 am

Re: Best airline company to take a bicycle with? PER>FRANKFU

Postby il padrone » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:04 am

Friends of mine have flown with Emirates and used a Ground Effect Tardis bag. At present I am planning to use their Bodybag.
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
User avatar
il padrone
 
Posts: 17491
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:57 pm
Location: Heading for home.

Re: Best airline company to take a bicycle with? PER>FRANKFU

Postby polishbiker » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:55 pm

Hm, makes me think a qantas box woudl be suitable then. The ground effect bag is not really a solid hardcase but your friend had no problems. Maybe Emirates just dotn want people to pack bicycles in some flimsy boxes hence they just say a hardcase is needed.
polishbiker
 
Posts: 304
Joined: Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:18 am

Re: Best airline company to take a bicycle with? PER>FRANKFU

Postby il padrone » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:45 pm

polishbiker wrote:The ground effect bag is not really a solid hardcase but your friend had no problems.

They did reinforce it a bit with their pannier bags stuffed in but apparently no other reinforcement. Many people add some cardboard sheets for added protection.

You must realise that in Europe the CTC has been recommending this type of bike packing as a way to avoid the mishandling of baggage handlers. Much better size for a real touring bike.

Image
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
User avatar
il padrone
 
Posts: 17491
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:57 pm
Location: Heading for home.

Re: Best airline company to take a bicycle with? PER>FRANKFU

Postby Sprocket » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:06 pm

I've brought two bikes back from Europe - one packed in a big plastic bag with gaffa tape - very similar to IP's picture but with tyres slightly deflated, seat post out, pedals off and handlebars detached and twisted parallel. Bit of padding around the rear derailleur and other weak points, but didn't go overboard at all. Bike came off the plane absolutely fine. The other bike (different flight) I packed up in a decent quality soft bike bag, with lots of padding and taping - also with seat post out etc as per first bike. This bike came out with some nasty scratches in the frame. So my personal experience says there is some merit in the CTC recommendation. However it appears some airlines just won't take bikes packed like that.
User avatar
Sprocket
 
Posts: 127
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:07 am
Location: Perth, WA

Re: Best airline company to take a bicycle with? PER>FRANKFU

Postby il padrone » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:28 pm

CTC offer this document to show to your airline to confirm it is a specifically designed bicycle packing method.

Maybe send it to them beforehand to confirm prior to your flight.
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
User avatar
il padrone
 
Posts: 17491
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:57 pm
Location: Heading for home.

Re: Best airline company to take a bicycle with? PER>FRANKFU

Postby polishbiker » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:13 pm

Thats different for sure.
Will send a quick email to Emirates to see what they say but i would be very worried if my bike was just wrapped like that, maybe not so much if if was just 1 flight but to get to my next destination it would involve 3 flights :roll:

Hoping people that dealt with Emirates and bicycles on this forum can shed some light on the situation.
polishbiker
 
Posts: 304
Joined: Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:18 am

Re: Best airline company to take a bicycle with? PER>FRANKFU

Postby scirocco » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:13 pm

polishbiker wrote:Just had a chat with someone i know who works for flightcentre, she contacted the Emirates airlines and they say they do not accept bicycle boxes :| hardacse only which makes things difficult but reading the above they dont really care so much?

Anyone else used Emirates and a cardbox?
Ta


Just got off the phone to Emirates and asked them if they had any specific requirements with bike packing. Guy checked and gave me the usual spiel that you would expect regarding pedals off, wheel down the sides etc. Asked if there was anything else and he said no. Nothing on their website saying hardcase only.

Polishbiker, can you ask the person who works for Flightcentre to provide a link, a document or a reference to this supposed "hardcases only" rule?

One point to note; when travelling with a bike in a cardboard box to and from Europe in 2010, 2011 and 2012 they did ask me to sign a waiver form each time. Forget the exact details but I think it basically said that they would do "all care no responsibility".
scirocco
 
Posts: 314
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:34 pm

Re: Best airline company to take a bicycle with? PER>FRANKFU

Postby il padrone » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:06 pm

scirocco wrote:. Forget the exact details but I think it basically said that they would do "all care no responsibility".

And I'd be pretty certain such waivers carry all the weight of a sparrow's feather. They cannot legally make you waive their duty of care.... at least in Australia. Have had some extensive opinion about this from a lawyer a while back.

Same applies for all the waivers you sign before entering various cycle events and other activities. You may waive their responsibility for your own foolish acts, but they have a duty of care, and with this goes responsibility if they act in any way negligently.
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
User avatar
il padrone
 
Posts: 17491
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:57 pm
Location: Heading for home.

Re: Best airline company to take a bicycle with? PER>FRANKFU

Postby onrbikes » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:26 pm

I used Emirates last year with a box ex Perth and no problem. We chopped them down to get the weight down and taped them up good.
Here are a few pointers
http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page ... 103519&v=b

A friend is soon fling with Jet AIrways that also allow 32KG.
Sri Lankan is another we've used and allows 32kg

Soon we'll be flying out of Delhi and may have a issue as the budget airlines like Air Asia don't fly there, but Jet does

I think the box thing and weight is in relation to which airport they go through. Some airports have different handling facilities.
onrbikes
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:58 pm
Location: Great Southern, WA

Re: Best airline company to take a bicycle with? PER>FRANKFU

Postby toofat » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:57 pm

Just to add some more info
I would in no way recommend Southern Chaina Airlines
Perhaps i was unlucky or perhaps to a local baggage handler a bike is a solid 25kg steel thing
Crack rear seat stay going over hole in the top tube on return

And dont ask about the stopover at Gwan zhou airport
Image
toofat
 
Posts: 521
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:38 am
Location: East Victoria Park,Perth

PreviousNext

Return to Touring Overseas

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Support BNA
Click for online shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Cycling Express Cycling Express
Ebay Ebay AU
ProBikeKit ProBikeKit UK
Evans Cycles Evans Cycles UK
JensonUSA Jenson USA
JensonUSA Competitive Cyclist
cron