Visiting TDF 2013

meridaman

Visiting TDF 2013

Postby meridaman » Sun May 13, 2012 10:59 am

Hi,
Not too sure where to put this, as much as I'd love to ride some of the stages I'm planning to take the wife and toddler (2 yo daughter) next year to the TDF.
Most organised tour operators won't take you with a toddler, any hints or tips where I can find info for self drive? We're planning to do about 2 weeks, follow a few stages, then Champs Elysees and few days in Paris before heading home. Do you literally just find out where it will be and plonk yourself on the side of the road ? What about when they come down the Champs Elysees? After as much info as possible, also any hints or tips or booking airfares greatly appreciated! Thanks guys.

TimW

Re: Visiting TDF 2013

Postby TimW » Sun May 13, 2012 11:11 am

I just found a heap of information Here when i keyed in the words tour de france, .Plenty of information on hotels etc some may be of assistance.Tim
http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/

Meditator

Postby Meditator » Sun May 13, 2012 11:38 am

There's a branch called International tours and events, just two lines up from touring overseas. Try there.

also try some forums that are europe based or try thorntree.lonelyplanet.com

toolonglegs

Visiting TDF 2013

Postby toolonglegs » Sun May 13, 2012 5:00 pm

Self drive is easy... Routes and timetables are published well in advance. I took my twins to see a few stages when they were 2... They got all the caravan vehicles stopping for them :-).
The mountains can be a little tricky as there are fewer routes and roads are closed earlier.
Paris with a toddler will be hard... Big crowds and all. If you can stretch the dollars contact an official seller ( bikestyle tours in oz ) and get grandstand tickets which are the best way to watch the final day.
It really isn't very complicated ... I will only miss 2 stages this year ;-) .

meridaman

Visiting TDF 2013

Postby meridaman » Sun May 13, 2012 8:45 pm

Guys thanks so much for the tips will look into it all, toolong are you taking your kids this year too?

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon May 14, 2012 10:01 pm

meridaman wrote:Guys thanks so much for the tips will look into it all, toolong are you taking your kids this year too?
I live in France now and work as a guide during the TDF these days, so kids don't get to come... I will be home for 3 days mid tour which is perfect as the Tour passes through our little village on the way to the Alpes on one of those days so the kids can get their Aussie flags out :lol: .