Where to go? Europe

Missem

Where to go? Europe

Postby Missem » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:57 pm

Hi all,

I have been looking at doing the Rhine cycle route through Switzerland, Germany, France, Netherlands, but am starting to wonder whether there might be better/different options

I have about 4 weeks in May/June next year. End point is London, start point yet to be defined.

Look forward to hearing where to go (or where to avoid)

Thanks!

marshmallow

Re: Where to go? Europe

Postby marshmallow » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:22 am

Hi Missem,
The Rhine is great, easy cycling and lots of villages and include Lake Konstanz, if you wish. You can also then detour and continue down the Danube which is highly recommended. German trains are very bike friendly and the accommodation is excellent.
I can also recommend the Eurovelo 6 from the Atlantic Coast of France all the way to the Rhine in Germany.
Be prepared for all types of weather, obviously. We cycled the Danube in June 2013 and it was cold and wet. I did the Rhine and parts of Danube in May 2012 and it was warm :)
http://www.amazon.com/baguettes-and-bic ... d+bicycles" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
enjoy

baghwan

Postby baghwan » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:13 am

How populated are Europe's major river routes? Are you constantly dodging dog walkers, elderly hikers and two abreast e-bike riders? It's been my experience on a lot of the Elbe River paths and this is mid Autumn, I think I much prefer my own routing via farm roads, although I do think its vital for enjoyment to constantly vary your path designs.

If you're fit and brave, Turin to Bordeaux completely blew my mind, mainly mountains in the Alps and and the peace and quiet of Massif Central.

martinfarrent

Postby martinfarrent » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:01 pm

The river routes in Germany can be awful, yes...

By contrast, the new (but as yet unfinished) Rhone route in France is dedicated to bikes and quite nice.

I'm more of a mountain-bike bikepacker myself and only found the Rhone route because I was in a hurry. But combine it with a bit of Alpine riding from Geneva and then roll all the way to Marseille... should be great.

onrbikes

Postby onrbikes » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:55 am

We too are having the same dilemma, mainly due to the 90day visa allowance.
We're starting in London and our finish point is unknown.

For yourself. What about landing in Kiev (Emirates starts service in MArch) or even Tallin.
Because you've got a short time whata bout a return flight to Europe than a short hop to your start with one of the many cheap airlines. Ryan, Norwegian, Easyjet, etc. That would save you some coin and be able to save your bikebox for the return section.

Starting in the north is good clear weather and not too hot.

Whatever the trip just realise that Europe is too big to see everything. Maybe just stay focused on a area

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:32 am

I was thinking about this myself yesterday. Some time in the future I'd like to go to Europe and maybe live there for up to a year. Is it not possible to exit to a non-Schengen nation for a few days or a week, then re-enter for another 90 days?

[edit] Found my own answer - 90 days stay in any 180 day period, so after 90 days I'd have to leave for 90 days before any return :(
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

onrbikes

Postby onrbikes » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:15 pm

Hey Il

I believe you can also get a French visa, which would allow you to stay for up to a year.

baghwan

Postby baghwan » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:25 pm

Long shot but I guess there are kiwis expats everywhere here, the NZ passport lets you travel 90days/180days in each individual country.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:59 pm

baghwan wrote:Long shot but I guess there are kiwis expats everywhere here, the NZ passport lets you travel 90days/180days in each individual country.
Not an issue for me, UK passport :)
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:43 pm

When I was traveling in Europe in the 90,s no one ever checked my passport.. I guy in France asked my nationality and I replied with new Zealand and he waved me on... Didn't even stop the bike... UK was different but I have right to abode so no issues there.
Romantic road Germany was a nice ride but as mentioned be prepared for all weather.. Got caught in a cold snap in spring once, camping in -12 with cheap gear is not fun

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:03 pm

Mandatory helmet law?

Missem

Postby Missem » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:53 pm

My flights are booked! Now just to figure out sort of vague route. I have 7 weeks to get between Vienna and London. I am thinking about starting out along the Danube, then into Switzerland then through France to Paris

Lots of planning to do!

jemo27

Postby jemo27 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:03 am

Where are you crossing the English Channel?
Is there anything in particular you want to see while you are over there? I know I saw the Tour de France for two days, visited D-day sites and World War 1 sites on the western front.
I found the UK was easier to cycling in than France because the UK has dedicated bicycle touring routes using cycling paths and quiet roads when they can. Look up sustrans for UK cycling routes.

My advice is avoid built up areas of population, I hated cycling in really populated areas.
In France, taking a bicycle on trains was reasonably easy. Eurostar you paid extra like 25 pounds to take your bicycle but I didn't have to bike my box.
I used TGV a few times, no boxing of bicycles required.
I would avoid the Mediterranean coast line in summer not a lot of fun, however the French alps were nice, but I hate Nice.

Got any questions please ask, I spend 3 months cycling in France, UK and Belgium in July, August and September 2013

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:45 pm

Eurovelo have a whole series of routes mapped and signed across Europe.

Mandatory helmet law?

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:04 pm

Ooh
Very nice find there.
Since I've been made redundant from work I'm now thinking of touring europe with an april/may start. Got me thinking about the weather hmmm UK nope too wet, spain nope too wet. Hmmm what about Italy, looks good for a start there for me.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:08 pm

We toured Italy starting last April. We went south to Sicily first and had great weather, then did Sardinia and Corsica before the delights of Tuscany.
Mandatory helmet law?

mjg9001

Postby mjg9001 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:57 pm

in 90 days you can get from London to Istanbul. Head towards the EV6, follow it to the coast of the Black Sea, then head south.