Flying to LAX

jemo27

Flying to LAX

Postby jemo27 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:23 pm

Hello I'm wondering what peoples experience has been with flying to LA with a bicycle has been like?

Qantas told me that for the Americas baggage is 23kg and it will cost me $85 per flight for an extra 23kg sounds reasonable.

Does that sound correct from people's experience?

I'm looking at going for 5 months may to October, concentrating on the Rockies ie western USA and Canada

Blakeylonger

Re: Flying to LAX

Postby Blakeylonger » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:06 pm

It must have changed, for international flights ending or passing through the USA the allowance was 32kg total in the past.

Now it's 2 x 23kg bags in economy, with a 270cm total lineal limit, with a single item limit of 158cm. i.e. S&S case plus another small bag.

http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airline ... e-americas" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But I have never had a problem with qantas accepting one of their giant bike boxes in addition to a small checked bag for no extra charge on an international flight.

http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airline ... l/en#jump0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:15 pm

Flew both ways through LAX with Qantas economy (going over had a connecting flight to San Francisco via code share with American Airlines) just a couple of months ago.

2*23kg and dimensional total as posted by Blakeylonger. But I had no trouble being way over the total dimensions as I flew with a Polaris Bike Pod and large backpack. Their only interest was in the weight of the luggage which I was well under my maximum - 21kg bike case +15kg pack.

Definitely recommend 1. buying a small TSA lock and also 2. to hang around whilst the TSA go through your bike case. Because otherwise they just get the bolt cutters to any other padlock and as they aren't the best re-packers (though mine was repacked okay both ways) it is good to verbally guide if necessary.

Trip sounds amazing! I only had three weeks where I focused on the longer climbs in CA, CO and AZ. My trip is covered in my blog listed below in my signature.

jemo27

Postby jemo27 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:31 pm

Anyone had experience with getting a visa for bicycle touring in USA?

I'm looking at 5 months over there so need a tourist visa.

Been told I need to get visa before buying flights

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:14 pm

My understanding is that you'll need a flight book and itinerary on record to apply for your visa. You obviously wouldn't pay and buy the ticket until you've received your visa (in general terms). Otherwise I have purchased the ticket many a times on the assumption that I won't have visa issues.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

polishbiker

Postby polishbiker » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:05 pm

i just got back from new york back to australia, flying with qantas so you get 2x23 packages plus 7kg onboard. bike box all up was 25kg, panniers in another 17kg, no problems.

jemo27

Postby jemo27 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:46 pm

Thanks for your information

nirismo

Postby nirismo » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:20 pm

Yeah you'll need a Visa. Went over last year and did it through ESTA for a holiday visa. Almost didn't make it on the plane because I forgot to put in my middle name, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk