How do you acces money overseas?

For Australian Cyclists travelling and touring OS

Re: How do you acces money overseas?

Postby tmac100 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:52 am

I just spent a week in Spain and Andorra and used plastic to access cash from North America and elsewhere.

In June-August (and perhaps more) I will use the same approach to access cash. My ONLY CAVEAT is to have more than one access card. I have been on places (Gold Coast airport) where NO CARD worked Bummer for that airport (International is what they call themselves) :evil:
tmac100

by BNA » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:17 am

BNA

Postby racka » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:17 am

We used a Citibank Plus account when we were in Japan. No fees, no commission and Visa spot rate, or very close to. Won't use anything else in future either.
racka

Postby mjg9001 » Thu May 01, 2014 2:26 pm

I spent a year touring and use the following:

Citibank Plus from Australia - no fees, Visa daily rate, good network in North America

If you can get one in the UK, the two accounts to get are a Halifax credit card and a Norwich & Peterborough debit card. Both fee-free and you get the Visa daily rate.

About to head off for another year- yippee!
mjg9001

Postby Treadle » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:01 pm

My friend found herself in trouble with a cash passport card in France. Her bank (ME) would only allow her to put money into the card after she had received an sms with a pin code from them. They would only send it to her registered Telephone number which was back home.

Unfortunately we had only LeFrench mobile sim cards ( in case we got separated on our trip). Next time she will take her telstra sim card as well. She finally resolved the issue by photographing a letter requesting the money be transferred and emailing it as an attachment. I think it took 5 days to resolve this owing to time zones and different staff handling the issue each day.

I went with lots of euros around my neck (along with the passport) and a visa debit card with a visa credit card as back up. Only needed a couple of withdrawals in 7 weeks. Lots of accommodation in France and Italy was paid using PayPal which was handy.
Treadle

Previous

Return to Touring Overseas