Japanese cycling tour recommendations?

Mezzo90-cyclist

Japanese cycling tour recommendations?

Postby Mezzo90-cyclist » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:25 pm

Hi all, has anyone used or can recommend a good Japanese cycling tour agency?

A quick google search shows some Ofcourse , just wondering if anyone has had any personal experiences ?

Ta!

cyclotaur

Re: Japanese cycling tour recommendations?

Postby cyclotaur » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:35 pm

I'll be interested in this thread also ...

Sent from my iPhinger ...
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"

tamagojo

Postby tamagojo » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:50 pm

I had a good experience with a day tour with this company

http://www.alohabike.com/index-en.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sent from my SBM107SH using Tapatalk

Mezzo90-cyclist

Postby Mezzo90-cyclist » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:50 pm

Thanks for that will check it out , I saw one here which sounds awesome - http://www.jnto.go.jp/eng/attractions/r ... cling.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm living in Perth for now so Japan will be closer than the east coast !

tamagojo

Postby tamagojo » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:34 pm

It's worth checking out Tokyo Cycling Club's forum too. You'll find some details of various routes that people have toured

silkishuge

Postby silkishuge » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:04 pm

tamagojo wrote:It's worth checking out Tokyo Cycling Club's forum too. You'll find some details of various routes that people have toured

+1. That is how I found my route from Tokyo to Kyoto through the mountains. It was a lovely trip but my mistake was not giving myself enough time. It would have been better to do 100km/day instead of 200km/day. I pre-booked the accomodaton and was fortunate that the accomodation had at least one english speaking staff. My Japanese is not to flash. On route,m I survived on convenience stores, which had a great selection of food.

Jon

phamcam

Postby phamcam » Fri May 02, 2014 6:10 pm

Hi I was in Japan last year and did a 4 day tour with Eric Romney, had a ball he is a good bloke, I took my son who does not ride but he looked after him. Rode thru some amazing places & his local knowledge was very useful ...he had great fun & a few great nites out as well. I would recommend him, just google his name and cycling japan. I also did a one ride in Tokyo, with local touring company, which was also good fun.

Mezzo90-cyclist

Postby Mezzo90-cyclist » Thu May 08, 2014 10:39 am

phamcam wrote:Hi I was in Japan last year and did a 4 day tour with Eric Romney, had a ball he is a good bloke, I took my son who does not ride but he looked after him. Rode thru some amazing places & his local knowledge was very useful ...he had great fun & a few great nites out as well. I would recommend him, just google his name and cycling japan. I also did a one ride in Tokyo, with local touring company, which was also good fun.
thanks mate very informative - will chase up :)

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Thu May 08, 2014 12:13 pm

Good thread! Japan has been on my radar too. I lived there for several months but that was in the 90's. Fantastic place and the people are so incredibly hospitable. Food was cheaper than Australia at the time but accommodation was expensive. Luckily I went as a student so stayed on campus,with host families and some Aussie friends in Tokyo and Nagoya.

Gifu ken is amazingly beautiful in places but very hilly. Crazy guy on a bike has many journals for Japan. When do you plan to go?

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Thu May 08, 2014 12:17 pm

tamagojo wrote:It's worth checking out Tokyo Cycling Club's forum too. You'll find some details of various routes that people have toured

Good link. Thanks!

Bjbiker

Postby Bjbiker » Thu May 08, 2014 10:41 pm

I have done 2 trips to Hokkaido of 3 to 4 weeks each , the first one to the far north east and last year a loop in the far south ,camping all the way ,it is very easy safe touring and easy to do on your own and costs are about the same as here the roads are very good with many wide side walks to ride on ,the trip to the south had many tunnels ( 106 ) some of which were a bit scary to ride through ,the biggest being over 3 kms long .The Japs have to be some of most curtious people on the planet and also one of the most toileted country's around ,Hokkaido is often called the Alaska of Japan which also has many Onsens which are amazing.

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Fri May 09, 2014 1:54 pm

Hi Bjbiker,

Thanks for the info, I remember the tunnels but was in a car at the time. Some are really long. Like 12km from memory.

And welcome!