Derailleur gears? Hub gears?

il padrone

Re: Derailleur gears? Hub gears?

Postby il padrone » Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:34 pm

mikedufty wrote:7000km on my belt so far, so it will be a while before I can confirm they last 4x longer than chains. What's the life expectancy of a single speed chain, I figure about 5000 on average for a 9spd for me.
My three chains have been used happily for ~8,000 kms each. When the the last one wears out I am replacing the drivetrain and installing the Chainglider. I expect significantly longer chain life then.

mikedufty wrote:I am disappointed that the IGH doesn't seem to have lasted longer than a typical cassette.
Your IGH has died on you? Howso? My Rohloff has done 21,000, and I certainly expect over the 100,000. Never heard of the normal cassette lasting anything like that.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

mikedufty

Postby mikedufty » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:50 am

The IGH still functions , it just skips occasionally, particularly under high load, meaning it is unsafe to climb standing. If I stay seated it is just an annoyance. If a cassette did that, I would replace it as worn out, so it seems a fair comparison to say it hasn't lasted any better than a cassette. I will probably have a go at lubing it with ATF as some people have reported an improvement from that.

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:32 am

mikedufty wrote:The IGH still functions , it just skips occasionally, particularly under high load, meaning it is unsafe to climb standing. If I stay seated it is just an annoyance. If a cassette did that, I would replace it as worn out, so it seems a fair comparison to say it hasn't lasted any better than a cassette. I will probably have a go at lubing it with ATF as some people have reported an improvement from that.
What sort of igh is it?
Go!Run!GAH!

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:38 am

If it is a Rohloff that would be a straight and simple warranty claim. No idea about Shimano.
Mandatory helmet law?

mikedufty

Postby mikedufty » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:18 pm

It is a Shimano Alfine 8. Not even sure how you would go about a warranty claim or whether it has a warranty. I was a bit disappointed the only paperwork that came with the bike was a generic Focus manual with no mention of belts or IGH.

Also difficult to claim when it is an intermittent problem, hard to get it to skip on demand, although it was getting more regular before I decided to stop standing.

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:17 pm

mikedufty wrote:It is a Shimano Alfine 8. Not even sure how you would go about a warranty claim or whether it has a warranty. I was a bit disappointed the only paperwork that came with the bike was a generic Focus manual with no mention of belts or IGH.

Also difficult to claim when it is an intermittent problem, hard to get it to skip on demand, although it was getting more regular before I decided to stop standing.
How often were you servicing it?
From what I recall , the alfine 8 has to be thoroughly dismantled to do a routine service. ... which was the prime reason for me losing interest in it
Go!Run!GAH!

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:00 pm

mikedufty wrote:It is a Shimano Alfine 8. Not even sure how you would go about a warranty claim or whether it has a warranty.
I believe that under the Australian Standard for pedal bicycles there is a statutory warranty of 1 year for the bicycle components, so if it came as part of the bike, and you are within 1 year you should have a claim. This is upon the bike manufacturer, through your bike shop.

For Shimano-specfic warranties on the Alfine, I do not know, but they could be expected to give a decent warranty, or else why not just buy Joytech parts ??
Mandatory helmet law?

mikedufty

Postby mikedufty » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:29 am

Nearly 2 years old now.
The recommended service seems to be to pull it out of the hub and put it in a bucket of oil. I haven't done this. I did pull it apart and it there was nothing visually wrong, plenty of fresh looking grease on everything, but I didn't have the right oil handy, so re-assembled it as is. If it is supposed to need servicing in less than 7000km you may as well stick with derailleurs.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:57 am

mikedufty wrote:Nearly 2 years old now.
The recommended service seems to be to pull it out of the hub and put it in a bucket of oil. I haven't done this. I did pull it apart and it there was nothing visually wrong, plenty of fresh looking grease on everything, but I didn't have the right oil handy, so re-assembled it as is. If it is supposed to need servicing in less than 7000km you may as well stick with derailleurs.
Sheldon Brown recommends conversion of these hubs to oil-lubrication to make things simpler (possbly with the addition of an oil-filler port)
Mandatory helmet law?

mikedufty

Postby mikedufty » Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:56 pm

Not a very attractive proposition since it results in oil leaking from the hub, undoing any cleanliness benefits of the belt.

Warin

Postby Warin » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:55 am

mikedufty wrote:Not a very attractive proposition since it results in oil leaking from the hub, undoing any cleanliness benefits of the belt.
The pessimist in me says If oil leaks out .. then water and dust will find its way in.

With great engineering (and/or a good deal of luck) this may not be the case. [Pressure relief springs to mind - through a one way mechanism.]

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:04 am

Not the case with the Rohloff hub. A small amount of oil seepage is normal, dependent on whether you fill with the full 25 ml or something more like 15 ml which is sufficient. With 15 ml there is much less oil seepage. Rohloff does use sealed-cartridge bearings however.
Last edited by il padrone on Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mandatory helmet law?

mikedufty

Postby mikedufty » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:51 pm

My comments are based on the link above which warns about oil leaking out of hubs converted from grease to oil. No doubt the hubs designed for oil will seal better.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:10 am

Wingnut wrote:Does anyone on here have any experience with internal geared hubs and belt drive? I've read good and bad reviews both ways...
I believe forum member WestcoastPete rides a tourer with Rohloff and belt from memory.
There is a newer (than original) generation of setup utilising a better tensioner from what I remember reading whilst considering one for my bike.
I decided in the end to stick with the known quantity of a chain.
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:51 am

Thanks rifraf,

I might consider it when I get some more funds down the road, just have to consider if I can get the same gearing and frame stay split...

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:40 pm

Hub gear and belt-drive experiences on a long-distance international tour. They have a detailed review of the bike and the belt-drive here as well.

Mandatory helmet law?

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:44 pm

Thanks il padrone,

Interesting that they went back to the older belt drive.

Stredda

Postby Stredda » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:56 pm

Pinion have a bottom bracket mounted gearbox http://pinion.eu/en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Zerode bikes do dual suspension down hill orientated MTBs http://www.zerodebikes.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;